Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 08-19-2014, 09:04 PM   #1
OneSlowV

Drives: 2018 camaro ss
ZL1 vs Hellcat

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...r_srt_hellcat/

Went like i thought camaro would get stomped bad at the drag strip. And won in the corners. Just got me thinking if the challenger had wider tires if it could get close in the corners. What you guys think?

2020 CAMARO LT1 6spd 11.02@ 135 dragy approved
OneSlowV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:06 PM   #2
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Hellcat is king!
Old 08-20-2014, 08:19 AM   #3
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
I said this before in one of the other hellcat threads that has this article. What makes this different than the GT500 vs ZL1.

GT500 won in straightline, ZL1 in corners-yet they chose ZL1.

Here we have Hellcat winning in straightline, ZL1 in corners, hellcat wins
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:38 AM   #4
Cody6.2

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSlowV View Post
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...r_srt_hellcat/

Went like i thought camaro would get stomped bad at the drag strip. And won in the corners. Just got me thinking if the challenger had wider tires if it could get close in the corners. What you guys think?

Lets be honest here and get one thing out of the way. With the amount of TC/SC modes the ZL1 has on top of it's power deficit and wider tires it's easy to falsely crown it a track star. Hold the TC/SC button down for 10 seconds and the story quickly changes. Now imagine that plus 100hp more on tap and little less tire.

It isn't about one car being better or worse at anything but simple physics instead. It isn't that the Camaro is a track assaulting masterpiece but that Ford & Dodge built a car that's good at everything.
Cody6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:18 AM   #5
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody6.2 View Post
It isn't about one car being better or worse at anything but simple physics instead. It isn't that the Camaro is a track assaulting masterpiece but that Ford & Dodge built a car that's good at some things, but not everything.
Fixed that for you. Ford and Dodge still have some work to do. But then, so does GM.

So it only proves that while GM got a bit stagnant since 2012, Ford and Chrysler were hard at work trying to come up with something to one-up Chevy, and they have. The ZL1 pushed its rivals, and is resting on its laurels. In some areas, the competition STILL hasn't caught up 4 model years later. And unlike Ford and GM, in the Dodge, you MUST do big-time horsepower with the top on.

Depending on how the bean counters view it, it's also a proven, steady and stable platform that has paid off. It's yet to be seen what growing pains, if any, the Hellcat has as far as monster engine reliability. Ford and GM has seemingly worked through theirs.

When corporations do this to each other, we're all winners, even if you come in third.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:32 AM   #6
URBAN LEGEND

Quote:
Lets be honest here and get one thing out of the way. With the amount of TC/SC modes the ZL1 has on top of it's power deficit and wider tires it's easy to falsely crown it a track star. Hold the TC/SC button down for 10 seconds and the story quickly changes. Now imagine that plus 100hp more on tap and little less tire.

It isn't about one car being better or worse at anything but simple physics instead. It isn't that the Camaro is a track assaulting masterpiece but that Ford & Dodge built a car that's good at everything.
Ridiculous statement on TC.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:52 AM   #7
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
Quote:

The article had nothing to do with the Mustang at all really.

I read over it yesterday when it was released. In reality they gave it to the Hellcat because it was painted that sublime green and drew more attention every where they went over the silver Camaro. They made numerous comments about how much better the Camaro handled, put down the power, and was an all around great car. Hellcat won because no one cared about looking at a silver Camaro following a bright green Challenger. The Hellcat only did better in straight line and interior. They even said how the Hellcat wasnt that much better in the 1/8 compared to the Camaro.

I'm hoping the 2016 Camaro gets an interior at least as nice as the current C7 vette in fit/finish cool factor. If it does, do the test again with a bright yellow Camaro and a burgandy Hellcat and lets see what gets people drooling for the comparo win.

Let me add..I do like the Hellcat and I'm not downing the car but the MT test really didnt prove anything
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:07 PM   #8
tc Bosnian

Drives: 09 a4 1500 silverado 2010 2ss rs
I'm just curios on what GM will do to get back on top?

465 WHP and 445 torque.
tc Bosnian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:17 PM   #9
sspolo

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE
I don't know a lot about cars, but as far as I can tell, the Camaro is also in not an average track car since it's heavy. It got suspension upgrades and sticky tires and it really worked out. Can't Ford or Challenger also upgrade the suspension/tires and have a track performing car? I understand the the ZL1 has the magnetic ride, but the 1LE has upgrades that you can buy anywhere, and it is praised for its handling.

To me it doesn't make sense why Ford or Challenger don't do something as simple... At least it seems simple.
sspolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:58 PM   #10
Faster12

Drives: 2012 Black ZL1 #1158
"People immediately began flocking to the Hellcat, leaving the poor Camaro, and Evans alone in line."

"While the Camaro and Challenger have traded blows in straight-line versus cornering speed, and been evenly matched just about everywhere else, street presence is an important criterion. Simply put, the Challenger SRT Hellcat has tons and the Camaro ZL1 has considerably less. Musclecars are supposed to be as much about the show as they are about the go."

The reasoning behind the Hellcat winning is pure bull$h!t. The only reason it was more awe inspiring is because the ZL1 is in its 3rd year. By now more people than not have already seen one, whereas the Hellcat has not been released yet. I still turn tons of heads in my Z. STREET PRESENCE in a yet to be released car vs a 3yr old design? Is that a fair comparison?
Faster12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:59 PM   #11
URBAN LEGEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc Bosnian View Post
I'm just curios on what GM will do to get back on top?
Simple. Drop the 15 ZO6 motor in everything similar to what Mercedes does.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:05 PM   #12
KarFan

Drives: 2023 SGM Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
HellCat is more of a one trick pony than the GT500.
KarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:13 PM   #13
URBAN LEGEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarFan View Post
Huh?
Old 08-20-2014, 03:47 PM   #14
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster12 View Post
"The reasoning behind the Hellcat winning is pure bull$h!t. The only reason it was more awe inspiring is because the ZL1 is in its 3rd year. By now more people than not have already seen one, whereas the Hellcat has not been released yet. I still turn tons of heads in my Z. STREET PRESENCE in a yet to be released car vs a 3yr old design? Is that a fair comparison?
Is that why?!?!
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarFan View Post
It is?!?!
Have you seen one on the auto-x yet?! I haven't seen any videos of it doing the auto-x.