Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 09-16-2020, 09:49 AM   #1
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Pocono 9/14/2020

Got another track day at Pocono with the North/South (double infield) course. Great turnout with a few SS's, a good bunch of 1LE's, GT350R's, a bunch of Corvettes and one very badass Z06 that was a rocket ship down the front stretch

Met up with Metros11 and had a good talk

Here's my latest video, knocked a good 3 or 4 seconds off my best time from August, passed a bunch of cars, great times!

Last edited by Kmeleon; 09-16-2020 at 10:01 AM.
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:28 AM   #2
IntegraR0064

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
Nice! Did we meet? I was driving the blue ss 1le in advanced group. There were so many camaros there, hard to keep track of!

Your video looks really good, what did you do to mount the camera? Is it an off the shelf headrest mount or did you do something custom? This was my first time out in the new 1le and I tried mounting the camera to the rear window, unfortunately the view is pretty crap so not worth watching. I need to figure out a better camera mount setup, the ones I've found via search are all discontinued. Forgot my obd2 dongle at home too so the video was particularly useless. At least I have gps data in the lap timer so I have some clue what happened that day hah.

BTW, looks to me like you should definitely move to advanced group.
IntegraR0064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:49 PM   #3
Kmeleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegraR0064 View Post
Nice! Did we meet? I was driving the blue ss 1le in advanced group. There were so many camaros there, hard to keep track of!

Your video looks really good, what did you do to mount the camera? Is it an off the shelf headrest mount or did you do something custom? This was my first time out in the new 1le and I tried mounting the camera to the rear window, unfortunately the view is pretty crap so not worth watching. I need to figure out a better camera mount setup, the ones I've found via search are all discontinued. Forgot my obd2 dongle at home too so the video was particularly useless. At least I have gps data in the lap timer so I have some clue what happened that day hah.

I don't believe we did but I like you said there were several Camaros there We'll have to talk at the next one, any plans to go to NJMP on the 29th? If the weather is good I'll probably go.

I was in the intermediate group for that day, it was only my 2nd track day so I feel pretty good about sticking in intermediate for now. I've done ALOT of iracing in my simulator so I feel that helped me get up to speed rather quickly with understanding the flags, having a feel for how to drive the car, etc. I feel novice is where I need to be for the first run at a track but the 2nd day I'm ready for intermediate.

About the camera setup....It's a tackform mount available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I run this mic through the car (permanently) to the trunk and tape to the license plate. https://www.ebay.com/p/217518503

I can't take any of the credit for the camera setup, Yanbags on this forum gets the credit for that. It's a complete copy, cheers to him

Speaking of dongles, which one do you use? Because the one I use (OBDlink MX) causes crazy service engine lights and CanBUS issues in the car upon start up sometimes. I think I'm going to invest in an HP Tuners MPVI2 at some point along with a tune.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:34 PM   #4
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmeleon View Post
Got another track day at Pocono with the North/South (double infield) course. Great turnout with a few SS's, a good bunch of 1LE's, GT350R's, a bunch of Corvettes and one very badass Z06 that was a rocket ship down the front stretch

Met up with Metros11 and had a good talk

Here's my latest video, knocked a good 3 or 4 seconds off my best time from August, passed a bunch of cars, great times!

I don't know why I counted, but 5 SS 1LEs (one pro charged), 1 ZLE, 1 SS, and one 5th gen SS. God knows how many Vettes, a Ferrari, a whatever brand of super car (what was that blue thing? I'm thinking a kit car), and plenty of other cool cars. Domestic definitely dominated the day.

Great meeting you in person, wish I could do NJMP but that's a 3 hour hike for me unfortunately. Maybe next year and I'll stay overnight somewhere down there.

A good day overall. Kind of sucks that Beemer ran into a wall and our group essentially lost the second session. Beyond that still very much a learning experience for me. For some reason felt like I ran with less confidence this time around. Have yet to upload my PDR videos, will do so next week.

Curious, which track mode did you guys run in?
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:42 PM   #5
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:

I'm the guy that came by when you were putting the wheel back on and we chatted. I'm also the white 1LE you passed in the third session. Great driving man, I tried to keep up but you were gone. Moving into advanced for this round certainly showed that the best mod I need to invest in, is the driver mod. You weren't the only one, the gray 2019 went past me as well.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:20 AM   #6
andy3213

Drives: 2019 1SS
I was there in the Gray '19 SS. I ran in the novice group.
andy3213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:21 AM   #7
IntegraR0064

Quote:
I don't believe we did but I like you said there were several Camaros there We'll have to talk at the next one, any plans to go to NJMP on the 29th? If the weather is good I'll probably go.

I was in the intermediate group for that day, it was only my 2nd track day so I feel pretty good about sticking in intermediate for now. I've done ALOT of iracing in my simulator so I feel that helped me get up to speed rather quickly with understanding the flags, having a feel for how to drive the car, etc. I feel novice is where I need to be for the first run at a track but the 2nd day I'm ready for intermediate.

About the camera setup....It's a tackform mount available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I run this mic through the car (permanently) to the trunk and tape to the license plate. https://www.ebay.com/p/217518503

I can't take any of the credit for the camera setup, Yanbags on this forum gets the credit for that. It's a complete copy, cheers to him

Speaking of dongles, which one do you use? Because the one I use (OBDlink MX) causes crazy service engine lights and CanBUS issues in the car upon start up sometimes. I think I'm going to invest in an HP Tuners MPVI2 at some point along with a tune.
That camera mount was the one I saw the forum thread for, says currently unavailable, damn . There are other similar ones but they don't have as good reviews. Maybe I'll try one anyway, they're not that expensive.

I also don't think we met, I know I talked to the other camaro drivers in my group at least but not as much outside our group. I ended up puncturing a tire and had to borrow tools and plug it so that took a big chunk of socializing time.

I am definitely doing a NETC track day on the 28th, and I'm registered for TNiA on the 29th, so not sure if I'll go to TNiA. It's going to be a game day decision depending on how I feel and the weather. Really wanted to do the NETC one since I haven't done lightning in this car yet and I'm doing the time trial national tour in october which is at lightning.

For OBD2, I currently use a PLX Kiwi which has worked well in a bunch of cars. But actually I just ordered a Racecapture Track which I'll be using going forward, mostly for the better GPS but also will be nice to have better accelerometer and stuff. In particular at Pocono my GPS was kinda spotty, it's old.

iRacing is huge. I've done a bunch of that too. Honestly from the looks of your video you would be up to pace in advanced too, without having to pass nearly so many people. As long as you're comfortable with passing in turns, which I'm sure you are given the iracing experience. And they even know you're there and are courteous, unlike whatever asshole in rookies who dive bombs you . But yeah if you feel more comfortable in intermediate then by all means I can understand that too, don't rush it.

Anyways this car is really fun on track so I'm going to be doing a bunch, I'm sure we'll meet up eventually
Old 09-18-2020, 08:32 AM   #8
IntegraR0064

Quote:
Originally Posted by metros11 View Post
I'm the guy that came by when you were putting the wheel back on and we chatted. I'm also the white 1LE you passed in the third session. Great driving man, I tried to keep up but you were gone. Moving into advanced for this round certainly showed that the best mod I need to invest in, is the driver mod. You weren't the only one, the gray 2019 went past me as well.
Yep I remember! Was nice to meet you. Thanks for the compliments. Yeah I never actually saw the gray one on track so he was probably going similar pace. The only car that passed me in 2nd-3rd sessions was that crazy z06 that I have no idea what was done to it but that thing was very fast.

Seemed like you were still one of the faster people in the group as far as I could tell. If you want to post up vids I can give feedback if you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metros11 View Post
Curious, which track mode did you guys run in?
I ran with everything 100% off as far as I know how to do. Set it to track mode then held the traction control button for 5 seconds until it said stabilitrak was off in addition to traction control. I'm sure it's faster with more stuff on but I prefer things unassisted. I was also kinda paranoid about overheating brakes so that's part of it too.

Last edited by IntegraR0064; 09-18-2020 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:39 AM   #9
Kmeleon

Quote:
That camera mount was the one I saw the forum thread for, says currently unavailable, damn . There are other similar ones but they don't have as good reviews. Maybe I'll try one anyway, they're not that expensive.

I also don't think we met, I know I talked to the other camaro drivers in my group at least but not as much outside our group. I ended up puncturing a tire and had to borrow tools and plug it so that took a big chunk of socializing time.

I am definitely doing a NETC track day on the 28th, and I'm registered for TNiA on the 29th, so not sure if I'll go to TNiA. It's going to be a game day decision depending on how I feel and the weather. Really wanted to do the NETC one since I haven't done lightning in this car yet and I'm doing the time trial national tour in october which is at lightning.

For OBD2, I currently use a PLX Kiwi which has worked well in a bunch of cars. But actually I just ordered a Racecapture Track which I'll be using going forward, mostly for the better GPS but also will be nice to have better accelerometer and stuff. In particular at Pocono my GPS was kinda spotty, it's old.

iRacing is huge. I've done a bunch of that too. Honestly from the looks of your video you would be up to pace in advanced too, without having to pass nearly so many people. As long as you're comfortable with passing in turns, which I'm sure you are given the iracing experience. And they even know you're there and are courteous, unlike whatever asshole in rookies who dive bombs you . But yeah if you feel more comfortable in intermediate then by all means I can understand that too, don't rush it.

Anyways this car is really fun on track so I'm going to be doing a bunch, I'm sure we'll meet up eventually
You punctured a tire?? Like a Supercar 3 tire? And plugged it?

I'm sure I can handle Advanced and next year that's probably what I will do. I will say, I don't like how TNIA let's you self-police which group you run in. There were guys in the Focus RS's that were running with their windows up and not pointing by. I believe they should force you to run Novice if you have no prior experience on that particular track or track experience. I also heard the staff talking to corner workers saying a certain car in Advance had no idea what they were doing....not sure which car though

I did see the BMW that smacked the wall, did you see where he did it? I saw a Subaru get flat-bedded back and was done for the day. Looked like the car wouldn't start?

That Z06 you're talking about was this guy named Darren I believe, it's a 2016 with some pretty decent work done to it (he mentioned cam, exhaust, etc). I was talking with him a bunch while sitting at the gate waiting to get in. He was telling me that the original owner bought it for $90k and put about 12k into it and then put it up for sale a year or so ago. So he watched the price drop from like $80k, 75k, 72k, 70k, 68k and then finally he drove to upstate NY to see the car. As soon as he floored it the SEL comes on and he's like WTF? The guy told him oh no big deal I can clear it. So he looked over the work done to the car and everything looked good and chalked it up to a bad tune. Offers him $60k, dude takes it and he takes the car home. Get's it tuned, no more SEL's. Car puts out like 800HP, I was watching him run down the front stretch from the grandstand with my daughter....holy crap, that car was on another level. Everything else looked slow watching him fly down the straight. If I was hitting 141 or so on the backstretch I'm guessing he was pushing 165-170. I didn't get a chance to ask him, but I guess he goes up there a bunch with "Tracktime". Cool guy, crazy car
Old 09-18-2020, 10:42 AM   #10
Kmeleon

So does everyone buy track insurance? I do since I still owe $30k on the car. Cost is $175 per day at Pocono.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:44 AM   #11
Kmeleon

Quote:
Yep I remember! Was nice to meet you. Thanks for the compliments. Yeah I never actually saw the gray one on track so he was probably going similar pace. The only car that passed me in 2nd-3rd sessions was that crazy z06 that I have no idea what was done to it but that thing was very fast.

Seemed like you were still one of the faster people in the group as far as I could tell. If you want to post up vids I can give feedback if you want.

I ran with everything 100% off as far as I know how to do. Set it to track mode then held the traction control button for 5 seconds until it said stabilitrak was off in addition to traction control. I'm sure it's faster with more stuff on but I prefer things unassisted. I was also kinda paranoid about overheating brakes so that's part of it too.
You should give Track mode and then a double click of the TC button a try. That opens the PTM menu. Then you can select Sport 1, Sport 2, Race, etc. Race is pretty much all on you, I prefer Sport 1 and 2 so far. You can read about the different modes in the 1LE forum stickied thread at the top. First post explains everything about each mode.

Speaking of brakes, I'm going to most likely switch from Motul 660 to Castrol SRF for next year. I'm not completely thrilled with the pedal feel so I want to see what all the fuss is about with the SRF.
Old 09-18-2020, 12:38 PM   #12
IntegraR0064

Quote:
You punctured a tire?? Like a Supercar 3 tire? And plugged it?

I'm sure I can handle Advanced and next year that's probably what I will do. I will say, I don't like how TNIA let's you self-police which group you run in. There were guys in the Focus RS's that were running with their windows up and not pointing by. I believe they should force you to run Novice if you have no prior experience on that particular track or track experience. I also heard the staff talking to corner workers saying a certain car in Advance had no idea what they were doing....not sure which car though

I did see the BMW that smacked the wall, did you see where he did it? I saw a Subaru get flat-bedded back and was done for the day. Looked like the car wouldn't start?

That Z06 you're talking about was this guy named Darren I believe, it's a 2016 with some pretty decent work done to it (he mentioned cam, exhaust, etc). I was talking with him a bunch while sitting at the gate waiting to get in. He was telling me that the original owner bought it for $90k and put about 12k into it and then put it up for sale a year or so ago. So he watched the price drop from like $80k, 75k, 72k, 70k, 68k and then finally he drove to upstate NY to see the car. As soon as he floored it the SEL comes on and he's like WTF? The guy told him oh no big deal I can clear it. So he looked over the work done to the car and everything looked good and chalked it up to a bad tune. Offers him $60k, dude takes it and he takes the car home. Get's it tuned, no more SEL's. Car puts out like 800HP, I was watching him run down the front stretch from the grandstand with my daughter....holy crap, that car was on another level. Everything else looked slow watching him fly down the straight. If I was hitting 141 or so on the backstretch I'm guessing he was pushing 165-170. I didn't get a chance to ask him, but I guess he goes up there a bunch with "Tracktime". Cool guy, crazy car
Yeah there was a challenger in advanced for the first session that had no idea of anything. He was very slow, but more importantly he kept holding his fist out the window with his arm bent (the "I'm pitting" signal) but I'm 99% sure he thought he was pointing by. Then I finally took it as a point by and went to pass and he swerved into my way. It was terrible. Luckily he eventually got black flagged and was not there 2nd session. Never seen anyone that bad before.

Yes I put a hole in a supercar3 during the session that the bmw crashed, and I plugged it between sessions. Not sure how it happened, i'm guessing a bmw piece? Didn't notice it on track. Went to check tire pressures after that session and it was way low. Found the hole and plugged it.

Pretty sure the bmw hit the wall on the back straight. I believe turning onto it, which is why it was such a low speed collision. Didn't actually see it though.

That z06 was so fast, i would point him by and he'd go like I was standing still. Thanks for the info on it, that makes sense. Mind blowing.

Quote:
So does everyone buy track insurance? I do since I still owe $30k on the car. Cost is $175 per day at Pocono.
Yeah I buy it for peace of mind. Especially at track night they give a good discount on it so it's not bad. Not sure whether I'll keep doing it but for now I am.

Quote:
You should give Track mode and then a double click of the TC button a try. That opens the PTM menu. Then you can select Sport 1, Sport 2, Race, etc. Race is pretty much all on you, I prefer Sport 1 and 2 so far. You can read about the different modes in the 1LE forum stickied thread at the top. First post explains everything about each mode.

Speaking of brakes, I'm going to most likely switch from Motul 660 to Castrol SRF for next year. I'm not completely thrilled with the pedal feel so I want to see what all the fuss is about with the SRF.
Maybe I'll try it at some point but I do prefer everything off usually, it's just more rewarding for me. I had read that thread, even in race mode the stabilitrak does stuff. My biggest thing is I was getting a bit of a soft pedal even with everything off, last thing I need is it braking on its own when I'm not asking it to. I know someone who had brake failure in a camaro at high speed so I'm very gunshy of it. Anyway I like to get some rotation especially on those slow infield turns at pocono and I doubt it would let me.

Would be fun to try it for a few laps though and really see what the difference is. I'll do that at some point. And definitely in the rain trying it is probably a good idea.

I was using motul 600, I've had castrol srf on backorder for 3 months now. It seems they're not making it this year. I will also switch whenever it becomes available.
Old 09-18-2020, 02:27 PM   #13
Kmeleon

Quote:
Yeah there was a challenger in advanced for the first session that had no idea of anything. He was very slow, but more importantly he kept holding his fist out the window with his arm bent (the "I'm pitting" signal) but I'm 99% sure he thought he was pointing by. Then I finally took it as a point by and went to pass and he swerved into my way. It was terrible. Luckily he eventually got black flagged and was not there 2nd session. Never seen anyone that bad before.
Now that you mention it, I thought it was the challenger. And I did see him called down the pitlane. This is exactly my point on allowing the drivers to choose which class to go in. They should require proof of experience to get into Advanced.

Quote:
Yes I put a hole in a supercar3 during the session that the bmw crashed, and I plugged it between sessions. Not sure how it happened, i'm guessing a bmw piece? Didn't notice it on track. Went to check tire pressures after that session and it was way low. Found the hole and plugged it.
Do you consider plugging these tires safe? I have always read you shouldn't plug a high performance tire....To get home sure, but this is exactly the type of thing that makes me plan on buying AAA premier starting next year. Just in case I would ever need a tow home.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:25 PM   #14
IntegraR0064

Quote:
Do you consider plugging these tires safe? I have always read you shouldn't plug a high performance tire....To get home sure, but this is exactly the type of thing that makes me plan on buying AAA premier starting next year. Just in case I would ever need a tow home.
Plenty of people have done it with no issues. I've done it a few times over the years. Just needs to be solidly on the tread and not the sidewall. I mean maybe there's a bit more risk of a tire blowout I guess...but I've never heard of anyone actually having a problem. I just searched and it seems to be a mix of people like me who have done it with no issue and people who say they would never do it. YMMV I guess. I'm probably only going to get maybe one more event, 2 at most, out of these anyway. Still figuring out what I'm going to get next.

I do have a truck and trailer for the autocross car, could use that but it just seems silly to trailer my new basically stock camaro. Starting to consider it a bit more though.