Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-25-2019, 08:20 AM   #1
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Raptor + Predator = .....

The coolest method to haul your GT500 to the track.

https://www-autoblog-com.cdn.ampproj...0-v8-engine%2F

Some are calling this a bogus rumor, but it actually makes a lot of sense. If Ram is gonna put the Hellcat in the TRX AND Gt350 and GT500 will only be around until the end of S550, then Ford is likely to have a couple dark years on their hands wrt the low volume build center that makes Voodoo and Predator. Outfitting Raptor with Predator can help thin the costs of the low volume line and keep the engine fresh until the next Shelby.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:55 AM   #2
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
I really don't care if it's true or not. What I do care about is GM making some fun vehicles like this. Where was the Cruze SS with ~275hp? Where is the Silverado that is a direct competitor to the Raptor? Will we get a Blazer SS with ~400hp to compete directly with the Edge ST? As long as Barra is running things, probably not. She's too busy pushing boring, metrosexual, electric sh*t bombs. Get it together GM! A lot of your loyal customers would like to see some high-powered, fun vehicles instead of the bland crud you've been rallying around.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:13 AM   #3
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Makes perfect sense to me that Ford would put their bad boy V8 in a high-po Raptor. RAM is gonna Hellcat the RAM TRX. We all know that in a few years when the next gen Ranger lands, there will be Ranger Raptor (likely with a twin turbo V6) and I'd bet money that RAM will also create a high-po offroad and/or street version of their midsize-RAM when it comes out.

GM will need to answer. GM should take advantage of the current market, which is all about trucks and SUVs/CUVs. I realize its much more difficult than just dropping in a more powerful engine and calling it a day, but I really feel like a higher powered version of the Silverado and the Colorado or Canyon would be a decent seller. I'd be all in for a twin turbo or V8 mid-size GM truck right now.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:24 AM   #4
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I'd be all in for a twin turbo or V8 mid-size GM truck right now.
Same. I'd take the loss on my 2018 if they offered a Colorado with a V8.

We're more likely to see a series of electrified trucks though if you pay attention to Barra's strategy.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:06 PM   #5
Expunge

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6, '99 Tahoe 2Dr Sport
Will take a RAM Rebel TRX before any Ford truck.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:49 PM   #6
Sinister10

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
id love to see chevy bring back a retro silverado SS454...they kinda tried to bring back retro with the Big 10 silverado, but honestly, failed.
2010 2SS/RS 6M, MGW flatstick, CAI cold air intake, SLP loudmouth 2 axleback, TSP 1 7/8 headers w/ hfc, pfadt 1" springs, SRP pedals, emblempros "6.2L" emblems on hood, ZL1 grill, M/T SC-5 wheels, nitto motivo 275f 315r. ZL1 addons wickerbill, smoked lenses, resonator delete x pipe, diode dynamics DRLs 1LE suede steering wheel, mighty mouse CC. SCTX4 and Dyno Steve tune.
Sinister10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:26 PM   #7
imaSSnake
'Maro

Drives: 2015 SS 6.2L Auto 2SS
I was blown away to find out you couldn't get a 6.2 in the Trail Boss
Old 03-25-2019, 10:58 PM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
I really don't care if it's true or not. What I do care about is GM making some fun vehicles like this. Where was the Cruze SS with ~275hp? Where is the Silverado that is a direct competitor to the Raptor? Will we get a Blazer SS with ~400hp to compete directly with the Edge ST? As long as Barra is running things, probably not. She's too busy pushing boring, metrosexual, electric sh*t bombs. Get it together GM! A lot of your loyal customers would like to see some high-powered, fun vehicles instead of the bland crud you've been rallying around.
Its my understanding that most product decisions come from the head of product development, not the CEO. Which means that most of your anger & frustration should probably be directed at Mark Reuss.

As for GM needing to get it together? The ultimate deciding factor for whether a company 'has it together' is profit. And despite their complete and utter failure to not slap an SS badge on everything, GM is somehow managing to rake in the cash.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 12:22 PM   #9
DRKS1D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Its my understanding that most product decisions come from the head of product development, not the CEO. Which means that most of your anger & frustration should probably be directed at Mark Reuss.

As for GM needing to get it together? The ultimate deciding factor for whether a company 'has it together' is profit. And despite their complete and utter failure to not slap an SS badge on everything, GM is somehow managing to rake in the cash.

I'm not asking them to "slap an SS badge on everything". I, along with many other folks, would simply like to see some performance variants of their otherwise ordinary models. The Redline Editions and various other sticker packages are quite disappointing to the GM faithful that enjoy above average horsepower.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
Old 03-28-2019, 01:47 PM   #10
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
I really did like my Sonic that I had for a while, but I would have paid handsomely for an SS version. Take the Buick Regal powertrain and slap it in the Sonic.... AWD 2.0 turbo.... Yes please.

Same with the Colorado I bought. A 4.8 or a 5.3 in that would be absolutely amazing. Don't get me wrong, I love my Minimax, but a V8 would tick all the boxes.

Similarly, when they made the Code 130R.... That would have been pretty neat. Small RWD car? Sure! Look how well the 86/FRS is doing.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:45 AM   #11
DRKS1D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
I really did like my Sonic that I had for a while, but I would have paid handsomely for an SS version. Take the Buick Regal powertrain and slap it in the Sonic.... AWD 2.0 turbo.... Yes please.

Same with the Colorado I bought. A 4.8 or a 5.3 in that would be absolutely amazing. Don't get me wrong, I love my Minimax, but a V8 would tick all the boxes.

Similarly, when they made the Code 130R.... That would have been pretty neat. Small RWD car? Sure! Look how well the 86/FRS is doing.
I completely agree. A Sonic SS with ~250hp and available AWD? Yup!!! I am certain it would sell quite well. A low-cost, entry-level pocket rocket! When people purchase something and it impresses, they will tend to come back again and again. Appeal to the 20-30 something crowd and I'm sure they'll be back for a Camaro or Corvette in the future. With the number of Chevy car models being streamlined, I could see a Sonic SS. With less models to deal with, you can then focus more attention on the ones you still produce.

I look at Ford (and they're not the only ones that produce "out of the norm" performance models). They made the Focus ST and Focus RS. I see a pretty good number of ST's out on the roads. It was a performance variant with a reasonable price. Hell, they also made a Fiesta ST! Yes, Ford actually took their cheap, econobox, buzzbomb and made a sporty, performance model out of it. They crammed 197hp into that roller skate of a car!

I'm on my second Cruze RS (work car) right now and I'm due for a new one early next year. I doubt anything too earth-shattering will be announced that soon, but when I'm due in another 3 years, I'd jump at the chance to snatch up one of our fictitious ~250hp Sonic SS's!