Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
markmass
TRI-COUNTY CAMAROS

Drives: 2SS/RS Oct 2009
Need info on MBRP cat back please

As sig says - pretty aggressive CAM - L99 to LS3 conversion etc. looking for deep muscle tone along with the choppy idle. I am leaning towards MBRP (heard in person on M6) but they don't have the ZL1 with quad tips yet.
I will have to go with a catback with normal tips and either source offset tips circa $120 or custom build circa $350-400.
Question: what is the difference in the systems Auto v Manual. Clearance? dealing with AFM? (which is tuned out on mine of course) Different sound?
I guess im looking for something reasonably inexpensive as i will need to change tips. Could I use the M6 variant?
Hope that all makes sense?
Vendors, please fell free to PM me with answers, ideas and pricing
Any catback will need to marry up to Kooks Hi-Flow cats

Cheers all
GET-TORQ custom CAM 223/243 LSA113, Full LS3 conversion, 3200 stall Multi-Disk TC from Circle-D, B&M Supercooler to cool that tranny down....1 7/8" Kooks Headers and High flowCats. MACH XL Catbacks. Eibach springs, R2C Performance CAI, powdercoated calipers, Footwell lighting in tune with dome lights, tints, ABL Lighting, ACS T3 ports and ACS Eagle T3 triple LED lighting kit. Heritage grill, Hex vents, ZL1 rockers, ZL1 Diffuser, Quad tips...the list keeps getting longer - whats next??

markmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
Iam Broke
PHAT B33

Drives: 2012 TF3 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
It's a 3" X-pipe system and I love it, pretty aggressive with the Solo HFC's. Problem I wouldn't care for with headers is that it is designed to hook to a 2.5" cat pipe. Why go from a 3" collector on headers to 2.5" and then back up to 3"?

I don't consider it inexpensive at 1k+ for the T304 system. Sorry I can't answer any of your other questions though.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
markmass
TRI-COUNTY CAMAROS

Thx - i didn't pick up they were 3"
I see your point. . They are designed that way to connect 2 1/2" or 3" but as you say, they will restrict...I will probably shave the CAT back to as close to 3" as poss --- probably
GET-TORQ custom CAM 223/243 LSA113, Full LS3 conversion, 3200 stall Multi-Disk TC from Circle-D, B&M Supercooler to cool that tranny down....1 7/8" Kooks Headers and High flowCats. MACH XL Catbacks. Eibach springs, R2C Performance CAI, powdercoated calipers, Footwell lighting in tune with dome lights, tints, ABL Lighting, ACS T3 ports and ACS Eagle T3 triple LED lighting kit. Heritage grill, Hex vents, ZL1 rockers, ZL1 Diffuser, Quad tips...the list keeps getting longer - whats next??

Old 12-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
Iam Broke
PHAT B33

I'm sure you can eliminate the 2.5" to 3" transition at the cat connection with some pipe & clamps & use 3" cats on your headers.

I chose the system as I have to stay catted & stock ex mani for the emission nazis. Clearance is fine, they supply a different tunnel brace. One section in the back is pretty close on mine, maybe 3/8" clearance but it never hits anything. I put it on after midnights and prob could have wrestled some more clearance in there. Not sure.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam Broke View Post
I'm sure you can eliminate the 2.5" to 3" transition at the cat connection with some pipe & clamps & use 3" cats on your headers.

I chose the system as I have to stay catted & stock ex mani for the emission nazis. Clearance is fine, they supply a different tunnel brace. One section in the back is pretty close on mine, maybe 3/8" clearance but it never hits anything. I put it on after midnights and prob could have wrestled some more clearance in there. Not sure.
You can always just run to any exhaust shop and have them cut out the 2.5" neck down and weld in a 3" straight pipe.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmass View Post
As sig says - pretty aggressive CAM - L99 to LS3 conversion etc. looking for deep muscle tone along with the choppy idle. I am leaning towards MBRP (heard in person on M6) but they don't have the ZL1 with quad tips yet.
I will have to go with a catback with normal tips and either source offset tips circa $120 or custom build circa $350-400.
Question: what is the difference in the systems Auto v Manual. Clearance? dealing with AFM? (which is tuned out on mine of course) Different sound?
I guess im looking for something reasonably inexpensive as i will need to change tips. Could I use the M6 variant?
Hope that all makes sense?
Vendors, please fell free to PM me with answers, ideas and pricing
Any catback will need to marry up to Kooks Hi-Flow cats

Cheers all

The only differance between the manual and auto systems is volume level. Basically, the auto system comes with an extra pair of resonators in the mid pipe. Both have a killer deep rubmle! Since you're already running headers you can opt for the auto system to keep the volume down some but if you're looking to make it loud the manual system should be fine. As far as the tips go have you looked at MBRP's boxed tips? They are pretty tuff looking.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:28 AM   #7
markmass
TRI-COUNTY CAMAROS

Thanks for info Juiced! --- calling you today..

Old 12-07-2012, 07:49 AM   #8
Iam Broke
PHAT B33

@ Juiced.... Can the auto res section be ordered separately to tone my LS3 system down a bit? If so PM me a price. Thanks. With the Solo HFC's it's a bit loud above 2k rpm at cruise for me.

Last edited by Iam Broke; 12-07-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Iam Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
BlackinBlack

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 Blade Silver
I had this exhaust and it sounds great. Very deep tone. My only complaint was the drone at 2K. As mine broke in it also got louder. Man did it sound good at WOT.

2013 ZL1 BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
Roto-Fab CAI

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:16 PM   #10
markmass
TRI-COUNTY CAMAROS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackinBlack View Post
I had this exhaust and it sounds great. Very deep tone. My only complaint was the drone at 2K. As mine broke in it also got louder. Man did it sound good at WOT.
nice ride!! How are the factory exhausts on the ZL1? --
I'm also looking at the Corsa ZL1 catback. i have the Zl1 diffuser ready to go on, like the look of the Corsa, and it will bolt straight up...I think from a drone perspective, Corsa have it nailed

Old 12-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #11
BlackinBlack

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 Blade Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmass View Post
nice ride!! How are the factory exhausts on the ZL1? --
I'm also looking at the Corsa ZL1 catback. i have the Zl1 diffuser ready to go on, like the look of the Corsa, and it will bolt straight up...I think from a drone perspective, Corsa have it nailed
Love the factory NPP exhaust. If my 2010 had come with it I would not have bought an exhaust system. Sounds good when I get on it and at idle but is quiet when cruising down the interstate. Perfect daily driver exhaust system.

2013 ZL1 BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
Roto-Fab CAI

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catback, mbrp