Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #15
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
The radio is the only thing I haven't changed... wait... I haven't changed the windshield wipers either.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #16
Trentin24
Trentin24

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Definitely paint quality. It's awful, chips way too easy. Also I think the seats should have a memory of where they were set. I can never get it the same after a good cleaning.
Trentin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #17
RiCorvette

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 3LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentin24 View Post
Definitely paint quality. It's awful, chips way too easy. Also I think the seats should have a memory of where they were set. I can never get it the same after a good cleaning.

Yeah, memory seats and heated steering wheel.
AND BETTER SUN VISORS! GEEZ GM!!
RiCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #18
Trentin24
Trentin24

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricamaro View Post
Yeah, memory seats and heated steering wheel.
AND BETTER SUN VISORS! GEEZ GM!!
Well if you get a bigger sun visor you wouldn't be able to see the road! Money covers about half the windshield when it's down!
Trentin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #19
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpower View Post
Recaro Seats or race type seats
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #20
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpower View Post
Recaro Seats or race type seats
I personally think the seat in the ZL are underrated. I have a buddy who has a GT with the track back that has the Recaro style seats and I like the ZL ones better. Some might disagree but try before you buy on changing out the seat because they get REAL expensive with little to no return on the investment in my mind.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #21
ZL1-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
I personally think the seat in the ZL are underrated. I have a buddy who has a GT with the track back that has the Recaro style seats and I like the ZL ones better. Some might disagree but try before you buy on changing out the seat because they get REAL expensive with little to no return on the investment in my mind.

Have you tracked your car at a road course? I am confused by your post. Not sure if did you buy aftermarket seats and if so which ones please? Of course they are expensive, good seats that function correctly for corner carving, or track days, or actual road racing are! The ZL1 seats are the same standard Camaro seats but with the microfiber suede added. Those "Recaro style seats" are just rebadged and sometimes given more padding on the side bolster. The ZL1 seats have no side bolster support at all! When I tracked my Mustang Cobra I was using Cobra seats with Schroth harnesses and it made a huge difference. The car cannot obtain good cornering characteristics with you using your legs and hips to compensate for no lateral support. Speaking from experience not theory.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #22
PNYSLAR
Summit White 2012 ZL1 M6

Drives: 2010 BLACK 2SS/RS M6 Delvd 8/24/9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinrancho View Post
1+ rotofab cai and big gulp. These should come.standard.
Agree.. I have one and about to order the other
2012 Summit White ZL1 Manual 6sp Blk 10 spoke, "Thanks Champion Chevrolet" delivered 6/9/2012 #1588
PNYSLAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #23
PNYSLAR
Summit White 2012 ZL1 M6

Drives: 2010 BLACK 2SS/RS M6 Delvd 8/24/9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Memphis View Post
See everyone is personalizing the rides. Which I can appreciate just have always been a minamilist myself. Some cars just speak for themselves to me. Sometimes just stare at it with amazement. I am totally changing out that sorry thing of a BA radio. If I was BA I would be ashamed to have my name on such a poor system paper woofers premium radio Blah. Anyway back to it other then the radio if you could only make 1 addition what would it be?

Send to Hennessy also not a option.

What part of Memphis are you in? Will you be at the Chevy Power tour on June 4th?
2012 Summit White ZL1 Manual 6sp Blk 10 spoke, "Thanks Champion Chevrolet" delivered 6/9/2012 #1588
PNYSLAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #24
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Roto-Fab Cold Air FTW! Dynoed at an extra 25-30 RWHP and you'll never get tired of that supercharger whine!

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #25
mkorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp ZL1 View Post
Have you tracked your car at a road course? I am confused by your post. Not sure if did you buy aftermarket seats and if so which ones please? Of course they are expensive, good seats that function correctly for corner carving, or track days, or actual road racing are! The ZL1 seats are the same standard Camaro seats but with the microfiber suede added. Those "Recaro style seats" are just rebadged and sometimes given more padding on the side bolster. The ZL1 seats have no side bolster support at all! When I tracked my Mustang Cobra I was using Cobra seats with Schroth harnesses and it made a huge difference. The car cannot obtain good cornering characteristics with you using your legs and hips to compensate for no lateral support. Speaking from experience not theory.
Relax, I said it was my opinion. Nor did I offer a theory. I simply said I drove my buddies GT that had "Recaro type" seats in it and was not that impressed based on what I had heard in regards to the MASSIVE difference it made. No, I have not tracked my ZL1 but I have driven a SS with significant upgrades and the GT mentioned above at Sebring Raceway and simply think that the return on investment in the seats would be tough to justify. If I ONLY drove the car on the track and did not care about daily driver comfort and my time in the car was solely pulling high G's in cornering I may have a different opinion. Do you sell seats or something?
Old 02-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #26
ZL1-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
Relax, I said it was my opinion. Nor did I offer a theory. I simply said I drove my buddies GT that had "Recaro type" seats in it and was not that impressed based on what I had heard in regards to the MASSIVE difference it made. No, I have not tracked my ZL1 but I have driven a SS with significant upgrades and the GT mentioned above at Sebring Raceway and simply think that the return on investment in the seats would be tough to justify. If I ONLY drove the car on the track and did not care about daily driver comfort and my time in the car was solely pulling high G's in cornering I may have a different opinion. Do you sell seats or something?

No, Ha,ha! I wish I did sell them. I just have owned aftermarket seats that fit better and worked better than stock. They also were cooler and more comfortable than the stock leather seats. The seats I had adjusted the same as the stock.They were perfect for a DD. My now ex wife hated them. That is another factor guys won't admit to. Their wife vetoes the idea. I think ZL1 owners on here put way more money into the engine compartment, what's your opinion on that? Not trying to be a dick with you just curious. I plan on engine mods down the road of course! I only have the Roto-Fab as of now. If you had the money to buy them you're saying no you wouldn't? Return investment, you have to like them in order to even consider if it is a "return investment"? You can't do that with engine mods which also may void your warranty.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #27
Diseased Yak

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red Camaro ZL1
CAI is next on my list, Roto-Fab I'm sure.

I've already ripped the stock headunit and speakers out of my 2013 and replaced them. I couldn't stand it, but then I'm sensitive to such things and don't condemn anyone that thinks it's fine. I agree, though, on listening to the car so I keep things off usually, but if I'm on a hour+ trip I do want to hear some tunes.

I ended up going with the following:

Kenwood DNX890HD double-din head unit
Hertz "Mille" mids and tweeters
Hertz two-ways in the back
2x 10" Treo subs in a custom trunk enclosure
5 channel Treo amp (4x125 + 1x500w)

Went for sound quality over bass, though it will vibrate your teeth out if you want it to.
Diseased Yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #28
mkorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp ZL1 View Post
No, Ha,ha! I wish I did sell them. I just have owned aftermarket seats that fit better and worked better than stock. They also were cooler and more comfortable than the stock leather seats. The seats I had adjusted the same as the stock.They were perfect for a DD. My now ex wife hated them. That is another factor guys won't admit to. Their wife vetoes the idea. I think ZL1 owners on here put way more money into the engine compartment, what's your opinion on that? Not trying to be a dick with you just curious. I plan on engine mods down the road of course! If you had the money to buy them you're saying no you wouldn't? Return investment, you have to like them in order to even consider if it is a "return investment"? You can't do that with engine mods which also may void your warranty.
Maybe "bang for the buck" is a better term than "return on investment". A good Recaro seat will run about $2K and I would want two so that is looks like it belongs there so that is $4K in seats. I agree that ZL owners focus more on there engine compartments than other items so as one of "those guys" if I had $4K to spend on making my car go faster my opinion is that $4K under the hood makes a faster (more thrilling to drive) car than $4K in seats. Just my opinion. Again, I qualify that statement with the statement that my ZL will spend less than 5% of its time taking corners and 95% of its time going straight were the seat cushion in my back is the main thing I care about when I get on it. If I was a dedicated road racer I could quite possibly think much differently.