Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-30-2018, 11:44 AM   #71
nortonyaya

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I have this noise ...

Bad Strut ?
nortonyaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:46 PM   #72
Hellfighter

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1
Front bump noise for me when going over bumps at lower speed, on front, does not always do it... Replaced rear diff fluid myself just in case, and since im at 21k miles, supercharger squeels upon start up for some reason, new upper pulley and OD lower pulley and belt , and isolator replaced, so i got those aftermarket, fluid in supercharger replaced and brick reinforced, so im not sure if noise from just rusty pulleys upon start up or something idk, its annoying as the bump clunk noise from the front that most of us have over bumps.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:48 PM   #73
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonyaya View Post
I have this noise ...

Bad Strut ?

Can you reproduce it by opening the trunk and bouncing the car by pushing up and down? For one you shouldn't be able to bounce the car if the shocks are good, two, a worn strut wouldnt make that noise, but if it were loose or any bolts loose on the lower or upper arm, or worn rubber in the lower or upper arm or trailing arms it would. Does it thump when taking the slack out of the driveling by tapping the gas around 40 45 MPH?
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:31 PM   #74
nortonyaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
Can you reproduce it by opening the trunk and bouncing the car by pushing up and down? For one you shouldn't be able to bounce the car if the shocks are good, two, a worn strut wouldnt make that noise, but if it were loose or any bolts loose on the lower or upper arm, or worn rubber in the lower or upper arm or trailing arms it would. Does it thump when taking the slack out of the driveling by tapping the gas around 40 45 MPH?

I´m not able to push down the car if i bounc it...
And the noises are always there.... 20 mph or 40 mph ...

At holes is the noise very mettalic !
on bumpy roads is there more a shaking sound if something is loose...
My car service watched under the car and they said they see nothing wrong...

But yesterday was something crazy.... i drove the car and no shaking noises... than i drove over a street bumb and it makes klick klick from the right rear side and the shaking begins !

But i dont feel nothing in the steeringwhell or driving in the corners

@jayno20 wrote.... he changed the strut and the noise was gone ...
It make sense for me if the rest of the Suspension looks ok !
The magnetic ride Suspension is electrical and maybe is something wrong with a wire in it or i dont know .....
Old 07-30-2018, 06:30 PM   #75
ZMEnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonyaya View Post
I´m not able to push down the car if i bounc it...
And the noises are always there.... 20 mph or 40 mph ...

At holes is the noise very mettalic !
on bumpy roads is there more a shaking sound if something is loose...
My car service watched under the car and they said they see nothing wrong...

But yesterday was something crazy.... i drove the car and no shaking noises... than i drove over a street bumb and it makes klick klick from the right rear side and the shaking begins !

But i dont feel nothing in the steeringwhell or driving in the corners

@jayno20 wrote.... he changed the strut and the noise was gone ...
It make sense for me if the rest of the Suspension looks ok !
The magnetic ride Suspension is electrical and maybe is something wrong with a wire in it or i dont know .....

If you cannot bounce the car with the rear deck open, the struts are working. I just replaced both of mine two weeks ago, it was about a 4 1/2 job. The strut has an upper and lower isolator or some call them bumpers, and upper and lower plate to support the spring, not much to rattle. If the lower bushing is intact, and the bolt isnt loose, or the spring isnt cracked, then I would keep looking before replacing the struts.

There are a lot of things in the rear that can clunk over bumps.
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2018, 07:59 PM   #76
Hellfighter

I got an entire coilover over kit by peddars, hope this fixes any clunk or whatever, as far as i read everyone with shocks talking about this, any comments on this?
Old 07-30-2018, 08:21 PM   #77
ZMEnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfighter View Post
Front bump noise for me when going over bumps at lower speed, on front, does not always do it... Replaced rear diff fluid myself just in case, and since im at 21k miles, supercharger squeels upon start up for some reason, new upper pulley and OD lower pulley and belt , and isolator replaced, so i got those aftermarket, fluid in supercharger replaced and brick reinforced, so im not sure if noise from just rusty pulleys upon start up or something idk, its annoying as the bump clunk noise from the front that most of us have over bumps.
Check the tensioner pulley and makes sure there is no debris under the belt in any of the ribs. Look close as all it takes is a small pebble trapped underneath.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:23 PM   #78
ZMEnow

Quote:
I got an entire coilover over kit by peddars, hope this fixes any clunk or whatever, as far as i read everyone with shocks talking about this, any comments on this?
No expirence with any front clunks, nor any of my friends with a Z.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:45 AM   #79
Hellfighter

Quote:
Check the tensioner pulley and makes sure there is no debris under the belt in any of the ribs. Look close as all it takes is a small pebble trapped underneath.

Brand new belt, it did this even before the swap, i had shop that had done all the work on it look, said everything looked clean, i figured it would be rusted pulleys but everything was normal as far eye can see.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:47 AM   #80
Hellfighter

Quote:
No expirence with any front clunks, nor any of my friends with a Z.

Its a driver side clunk when going over certain sized holes or bumps, even slow some time like those speed bumps, and alot of ZL1 owners complaining about this, but still no answer.. shop checked my suspension said is all good, and this is an aftermarket trusted 5/5 star shop, so i am at a loss =/
Old 07-31-2018, 09:40 AM   #81
GONMAD510

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Is your car lowered at all? I lowered mine with the BMR 1.25" springs. Car did get rougher with these springs. I noticed recently that I am getting a fairly hard thump in the front when going over bumps. I am starting to wonder if the springs settle some more and maybe bottoming out the strut or hitting the bump stops. Have not had any time to check it out yet.
Fast 850cc Injectors, ATI Balancer, 8.66 Lower Pulley, 2.55 Upper Pulley, Lingenfelter CAI, Kooks LT with cat delete pipes, Noweeds Exhaust Cutouts (extremely loud under full throttle), BTR Stage 3 Cam, BTR Platinum 660 Valve Spring Kit, TR7ix Iridium Spark Plugs, Lingenfelter Solid Isolator, 160 Degree Thermostat, Larger SC Coolant Reservoir with Hose Relocation Kit, BMR 1.25" Lowering Springs, MGW Short Throw Shifter, Racing Brake 2 piece rotors front and rear, Starkweather Performance Custom Dyno Tune on 91 Octane.

691.38 RWHP
630.35 RWTQ
GONMAD510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:34 AM   #82
ZMEnow

Quote:
Its a driver side clunk when going over certain sized holes or bumps, even slow some time like those speed bumps, and alot of ZL1 owners complaining about this, but still no answer.. shop checked my suspension said is all good, and this is an aftermarket trusted 5/5 star shop, so i am at a loss =/

I do remember some threads years back of some owners talking about thumps or noise when backing up and turning the wheel extreme left or right. I believe those were issues with the upper strut pivoting up top.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:59 PM   #83
nortonyaya

For Information

My suspension leaked After (just) 25000 miles on the
right side(front/rear)
I bought a used complete magnetic ride suspension and since i drive this suspension the noises are there!
And it is 100% frim the rear. When i drive trough a hole the front side dont make a noise!
Bit the rear ! 90%right side...i'm sure....
But i just hear the metallic clunk when the right window is down! ....

And no, the car isnt lower !
Old 07-31-2018, 01:23 PM   #84
Hellfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONMAD510 View Post
Is your car lowered at all? I lowered mine with the BMR 1.25" springs. Car did get rougher with these springs. I noticed recently that I am getting a fairly hard thump in the front when going over bumps. I am starting to wonder if the springs settle some more and maybe bottoming out the strut or hitting the bump stops. Have not had any time to check it out yet.

Car is all stock suspension as of now. I have peddar coilovers sitting in boxes.