Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 08-24-2011, 01:23 AM   #85
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybugsmom View Post
You and Bonnie can come up and visit - my Rottie is the sweetest thing you'll ever meet. Her name is Penelope (as in Penelope Pitstop).
*gulp*

Old 08-24-2011, 01:24 AM   #86
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
ofcourse , my pits have all been brought in the family atmosphere. i actually had up to 6 all together eating together sleeping etc...
i've raised them all and nothing only about 3 were taken from other house holds ( bad up bringing) but they calmed down with strong discipline and they were the best dogs any one could ask for.
these are the powerhouse of almost all breeds.

and yes pits are popular , and i hate that they are used for fighting. it gives the breed a bad reputation for the stupidity of the owners.
things would be 100% different if it was rots being used to fight or some other breed.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:25 AM   #87
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....

Drives: 2010 VR Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
*gulp*

No need to worry - she's almost 12 years old, and has surgery on both knees... even if she doesn't like you, she can't catch you....My German Shepherd, on the other hand, is fast - but he'll only lick you to death.... LOL!
Old 08-24-2011, 01:27 AM   #88
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

some dogs know that youngsters are not a threat , BUT in some cases the idiot dog does take them as prey.
the very few though , thats why some professionals say to not have any pets while being pregnant or with a new born
Old 08-24-2011, 01:30 AM   #89
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIM3 View Post
some dogs know that youngsters are not a threat , BUT in some cases the idiot dog does take them as prey.
the very few though , thats why some professionals say to not have any pets while being pregnant or with a new born
Toddlers are more likely to be bit in the face or head, because they are at the same level as the dog. Also, they tend to be interested in the dog's food or toys. Kids need to be taught how to act around dogs just as much as dogs need to be taught how to act around kids....
Old 08-24-2011, 01:33 AM   #90
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

exactly , when i was about 4 or 5 i jumped on my dobie and he bit me leaving a gash on my face behind the jaw.

i learned my lesson
Old 08-24-2011, 01:39 AM   #91
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
and yes pits are popular , and i hate that they are used for fighting. it gives the breed a bad reputation for the stupidity of the owners.
things would be 100% different if it was rots being used to fight or some other breed.
I didn't know Pits were used and not Rots.

OMG, it just dawned on me........ PITS....ROTS..... no wonder they tend to be pissed. Those aren't exactly nice names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybugsmom View Post
No need to worry - she's almost 12 years old, and has surgery on both knees... even if she doesn't like you, she can't catch you....My German Shepherd, on the other hand, is fast - but he'll only lick you to death.... LOL!
The shame of it is a good GS or even PIT or ROT make GREAT house sitting dogs against would be burglars.

Reminds me of that joke:

Guy breaks into a house and is rumaging around in the dark and hears a voice say "Jesus is watching you". He freaks out after hearing it a few times and then sees a parrot in the corner. A sign on the parrots cage says 'MOSES' and the parrot says again, Jesus is watching you.

Dude looks at the parrot and says out loud "What kind of people name a parrot Moses?".

Then the parrot says "Same people who name their Rottwieler Jesus.

Quote:
OMG That's crazy.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:40 AM   #92
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....

Quote:
exactly , when i was about 4 or 5 i jumped on my dobie and he bit me leaving a gash on my face behind the jaw.

i learned my lesson
So many people would be quick to blame the dog, too... It wasn't his fault - you probably startled him.
My mom trained and showed German Shepherds when I was little. I was taught how to behave around the dogs. When I was 2 or 3, a neighbor kid was just about to whack me in the head with a pail (back when they were made of metal, not plastic), and our dog jumped through the plate glass window of the back door of the garage and grabbed the kid's arm and pinned him to the ground - didn't hurt him, teeth didn't even break the skin. All in a flash, before my mom could get to me or the neighbor kid. Proper training and respect for the animal can pay off....
Old 08-24-2011, 01:41 AM   #93
Apex Paul

Drives: Wagon Queen Family Truckster
Quote:
Agreed.

I don't have anything against a breed either. In fact, dont' care what it is, Dog, Cat, Bird, Snake, whatever..... if it's killing people as a pet, we should breed it out of existence. The PETS of course. Like I said, pets are not a part of the food chain or ecosystem.
How many times have you read a story about a 2 year old getting strangled by the family's "pet" python. It's a python, hello. It eats small mammals (aka baby humans).
Apex Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:49 AM   #94
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Paul View Post
How many times have you read a story about a 2 year old getting strangled by the family's "pet" python. It's a python, hello. It eats small mammals (aka baby humans).

Common sense to me. Sure, it's different with snakes but same principle applies in my opinion.

I have more compassion for someone who's dog goes crazy and attacks a child though. A snake, big cat, or whatever is just absolutely STUPID to keep as a pet around kids.

I know people have been held accountable to an extent but not to the extent they should be. If a child is strangled by a python, the owner of the python should be held at the highest fault. Prison time.

Easier said than done but it's horrible to think that some kid wakes up being strangled by DADS Fing SNAKE. And then loses conscousness forever.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:53 AM   #95
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....

Quote:
I didn't know Pits were used and not Rots.

OMG, it just dawned on me........ PITS....ROTS..... no wonder they tend to be pissed. Those aren't exactly nice names.
Rottweilers originated in Rottweil, Germany - hence, the name. I never refer to Penelope as a "Rot" where she can hear me...
Pit bulls got their nickname only after people started using them for fighting - in pits...

The shame of it is a good GS or even PIT or ROT make GREAT house sitting dogs against would be burglars.

Reminds me of that joke:

Guy breaks into a house and is rumaging around in the dark and hears a voice say "Jesus is watching you". He freaks out after hearing it a few times and then sees a parrot in the corner. A sign on the parrots cage says 'MOSES' and the parrot says again, Jesus is watching you.

Dude looks at the parrot and says out loud "What kind of people name a parrot Moses?".

Then the parrot says "Same people who name their Rottwieler Jesus.
That's a good one!!!

OMG That's crazy.
My vet has admitted to me that he doesn't like Rottweilers very much, because he has seen so many who were raised incorrectly or had bad breeding. But he likes my Rottie, and told me to give his compliments to the breeder I got her from. She is exactly what the AKC standards describe....
My neighbor has an American Bull Terrier (Pit Bull) who also fits the AKC standards perfectly - she's a fabulous dog, but does tend to make people nervous, just from the breed reputation. It's a shame....
Old 08-24-2011, 02:00 AM   #96
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Having a pet pit bull is like having a loaded shotgun pointed at you at all times. Eventually, you will probably do the wrong thing and get killed. I am sad to read about this tragedy, and hopefully future pit bull owners are dissuaded from caring for a murderous beast instead of a genuine pet.
Rachel Rey would disagree..

I have known quite a few pit bull's in my time and all have been quite remarkable pets. However I do agree that if any shows signs of aggression, they shouldn't be kept as indoor pets if it cannot be controlled.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:10 AM   #97
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Rachel Rey would disagree..

I have known quite a few pit bull's in my time and all have been quite remarkable pets. However I do agree that if any shows signs of aggression, they shouldn't be kept as indoor pets if it cannot be controlled.

Dude. Been a while.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:16 AM   #98
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
In a nutshell, let's say all dogs act exactly the same way. Same amount of softies, same amount of aggressives, etc. why risk you, your family, your friends with a dog that can physically kill you (whether it's a pit, rot or German sheppard). There are plenty of dogs out there that have similar temperments, but won't harm you as bad, whether it's intentional or an accident. I guess it's just a risk I'd rather not take, if I can avoid it.