Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 08-24-2011, 02:20 AM   #99
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post

Dude. Been a while.
Yeah. Had a rough year and a half. My wife's father passed away from a rapid onset of dementia. There is simply too much to explain, however the fight is over and he's with the Lord now. I just wanted to see how everyone was doing. Glad to see most of the forum faithfuls are still here. I am no longer a Camaro owner, however it was fun while it lasted. I'll check in from time to time
Old 08-24-2011, 02:33 AM   #100
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
In a nutshell, let's say all dogs act exactly the same way. Same amount of softies, same amount of aggressives, etc. why risk you, your family, your friends with a dog that can physically kill you (whether it's a pit, rot or German sheppard). There are plenty of dogs out there that have similar temperments, but won't harm you as bad, whether it's intentional or an accident. I guess it's just a risk I'd rather not take, if I can avoid it.
I'd say that's pretty much how I feel. If an owners dog attacks and them it sucks. But when it attacks someone else who just happened to be there it REALLY sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Yeah. Had a rough year and a half. My wife's father passed away from a rapid onset of dementia. There is simply too much to explain, however the fight is over and he's with the Lord now. I just wanted to see how everyone was doing. Glad to see most of the forum faithfuls are still here. I am no longer a Camaro owner, however it was fun while it lasted. I'll check in from time to time
I knew you had bought the rival. Great car. I've always said the Mustang is a great car. I'm not a hater, just a rival ribber.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:34 AM   #101
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
I'd say that's pretty much how I feel. If an owners dog attacks and them it sucks. But when it attacks someone else who just happened to be there it REALLY sucks.

I knew you had bought the rival. Great car. I've always said the Mustang is a great car. I'm not a hater, just a rival ribber.

I like the subtle changes you've made to your car Very nice
Old 08-24-2011, 09:05 AM   #102
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
i can deff say giant snakes are worse !, they dont have the right factors to be smart enough to know the difference between owner , child and big a$$ rabit dinner.

i own a columbian Red tail BOA and its only 2 feet maybe less.
its the friendliest thing , but things are going to change when it gets 7-12 feet long . its going to be quite intimidating.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:20 AM   #103
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
No doubt. Only problem is it's never the burglar who the dog tears apart.

Like I said, I am not an advocate of killing existing dogs, just not allowing them to breed. And like I said, Dog, Cat, breed of each or whatever, if they can and will kill a human, we eraticate them through breeding control. My two best freinds here in Alabama BOTH had PitBulls. One of them is still a big brute. Awesome dog. But I (as an occasional guest) dont' get too close to it. Call me paranoid but it can do me some serious harm if I piss it off somehow.

The other freind had to get rid of his because it was mauling his other dog. He had the Pit from a puppy up, and the other dog (Black Lab) was already there before the Pit Puppy. But the puppy got big quick and two trips to the vet and a lot of pain later he got rid of it. That dog never showed any agression to people but other animals it would attack instantly. No real reason Steve could think of. Steve is a State Trooper and has had dogs all his life. Just one of those things.

You being scared of the dog in the first place puts you more at risk. The dog will see you as week and inferior to it, and if you do something wrong it will correct you (this usually involves growling, nipping and other aggressive behavior). Remember, dogs are not human, they are supposed to be raised in a pack. You as the human have to be the alpha male of the pack at all times, along with all other humans in the household.

As for your friend Steve's dog, I've seen the same thing in a red doberman that we had. Was very friendly to us but would chase down and kill any animal (including my puppy at the time) that ran from it or got too close to it's food. Since she brought back coons and possums most of the time we didn't mind to much, but finally put her down after she killed my mom's ducks. Point is, it's not the breed, it's how you raise, train, and socialize the dog. A lot of people that buy these larger and more aggressive dogs don't understand that and don't give their dogs the proper training. THOSE dogs are the ones you hear about in the news that end up killing people.

And as for shih tzu's:
http://www.zimbio.com/Lhasa+and+Shih...e+greeter+nose
Yeah, little dogs may not be able to KILL but they can be pretty damn vicious when you don't train them. Mom used to raise jack russel terriers, they ended up killing a weaker member of the pack. Imagine all 6 of those dogs attacking you at once....

Last edited by Brokinarrow; 08-24-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Brokinarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #104
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
I like the subtle changes you've made to your car Very nice
Thank you. My 'Subtle' engine mods are my favorite. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
You being scared of the dog in the first place puts you more at risk. The dog will see you as week and inferior to it, and if you do something wrong it will correct you (this usually involves growling, nipping and other aggressive behavior). Remember, dogs are not human, they are supposed to be raised in a pack. You as the human have to be the alpha male of the pack at all times, along with all other humans in the household.

As for your friend Steve's dog, I've seen the same thing in a red doberman that we had. Was very friendly to us but would chase down and kill any animal (including my puppy at the time) that ran from it or got too close to it's food. Since she brought back coons and possums most of the time we didn't mind to much, but finally put her down after she killed my mom's ducks. Point is, it's not the breed, it's how you raise, train, and socialize the dog. A lot of people that buy these larger and more aggressive dogs don't understand that and don't give their dogs the proper training. THOSE dogs are the ones you hear about in the news that end up killing people.

And as for shih tzu's:
http://www.zimbio.com/Lhasa+and+Shih...e+greeter+nose
Yeah, little dogs may not be able to KILL but they can be pretty damn vicious when you don't train them. Mom used to raise jack russel terriers, they ended up killing a weaker member of the pack. Imagine all 6 of those dogs attacking you at once....
Lot of 'Need to know' for a dog that anyone can buy. I understand that dogs are not necessarily mean and aggresive due to the breed alone, but if you need to know all of that, and I really don't, yet you can buy one, then there's a problem in my opinion. It's a lot less costly over time to legislate the eratication by control breeding than educating and legislating a registration and training requirement.

And to be fair, I am not opposed to eraticating over time those little Terriers either.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #105
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Thank you. My 'Subtle' engine mods are my favorite. LOL

Lot of 'Need to know' for a dog that anyone can buy. I understand that dogs are not necessarily mean and aggresive due to the breed alone, but if you need to know all of that, and I really don't, yet you can buy one, then there's a problem in my opinion. It's a lot less costly over time to legislate the eratication by control breeding than educating and legislating a registration and training requirement.

And to be fair, I am not opposed to eraticating over time those little Terriers either.
lol, you know, i think i could do without that breed too, those things were annoying! Anyway, I think the larger problem is an overall lack of education as to what dogs actually ARE. They are animals, they do not conform entirely to human behaviors just because they are domesticated. That and more and more Americans are getting lazier and lazier, thus they don't want to take the time to learn about what they're getting into when getting a larger more aggressive breed.

Anyway, I'd suspect that PETA and other animal rights group would put up a pretty high wall to anyone trying to pass legislation to let any breed of dog go extinct. I could see them agreeing to training requirements to own certain breeds, but then there would be a lot of people against government sticking their nose into that aspect of their life. Definitely not an easy fix either way.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:36 AM   #106
oyealiz

Drives: c7 3LT, manual, vert
Send a message via AIM to oyealiz Send a message via Yahoo to oyealiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybugsmom View Post
Wow - according to all of the "statistics" being posted here, I should be dead. I have a Rottweiler AND a German Shepherd, and my neighbor has a Pit Bull.
Now - go re-read these articles. These breeds account for the most FATAL dog attacks. The most dog bites come from smaller breeds, like poodles and ****er spaniels. You just don't hear about it because people don't die from them.
It IS about how the animal is raised. My dogs have never even growled at a person, but my dogs have been attacked by smaller dogs, and so have I. The owners of those dogs thought it was "cute" when their dogs were being aggressive, and did nothing to stop it. When a Jack Russell was literally hanging by it's teeth from my Rotties neck (and my Rottie was standing there doing nothing except looking confused) I said to the owner "If my dog behaved that way, I'd be forced to put her down. Get your dog away from me or I'll put HIM down right here and now"
The story of this poor woman being killed is tragic, but we don't know the whole story - don't judge an entire breed by this story...
When I walk my German Shepherd, he wants to visit with every dog we see. I prefer that he never get close to little dogs. They will snap at a big dog in a heartbeat. Chihuahuas are the worst about doing this. They seem to have no concept of their size difference!!!
oyealiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:44 AM   #107
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
There's been lots of comments since I've last posted, and some very valid points. I personally disagree with breeding out any breed of dog. To me thats just a more "humane" form of genocide. For me being an experienced owner I feel if anything needs to be controled its the owners. Someone posted about dogs having bad gene pools, which is I very valid point. But most people unless they are serious breeders or trainers wouldn't even know how that would effect a dog, or even how breeding effects dogs. Dispite how much I hate the "loaded gun" analogy people use, I feel people should have to have training on how to raise and train a dog before they buy any dog. Training should be sorta breed specific. i.e. pits, rots, dobermans, boxers, mastiffs etc. in one training set. Huskies, akitas etc in one set. and those annoying toy dogs in another set. And training should be manditory for the first time you buy any dog that falls into a certain group. I fell the same way when I see any untrained, unsocialized dog. Personally I don't have any fear of any dog, trained or completely untrained and unsocialized. Not just dogs but animals in general pick up on your emotions in many ways which also effects how any animal will respond to you. As I posted before, until the 1950's the American Pit Bull Terrier/American Staffordshire Terrier/Staffordshire Terrier was known as Americas Dog. It was the dog that the majority of dog owners had, unless they were farmers or hunters. It was exclusively the dog used by the military through both world wars. It was the main dog used by the police force. It was the dog on most TV shows alongside children. Then dog fighting ran rampant in the US and the opinion of the dog changed. Does anyone know what was the "pit bull" of that era? The doberman. So I ask you since 1950 what has changed more, the breed of dog, or the owners? Today the German Shepard is widely considered to be todays "America's Dog"
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:13 AM   #108
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Old 08-25-2011, 02:13 AM   #109
PQ
Booooosted.

The little rascals dog was a pit wasn't it?
Old 08-25-2011, 02:14 AM   #110
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Quote:
The little rascals dog was a pit wasn't it?
yep and buster brown
Old 08-25-2011, 02:22 AM   #111
PQ
Booooosted.

Well, I know my idea would be widely unpopular but it just freaks me out to see someone mauled to death by a pet. We just can't afford the type of regulation and governing it would take to assure the proper people had the proper dogs.

My mind could be changed, but it would take a plan that would gaurantee the same results. And that being nobody killed or mamed by a dog.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:42 AM   #112
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Quote:
Well, I know my idea would be widely unpopular but it just freaks me out to see someone mauled to death by a pet. We just can't afford the type of regulation and governing it would take to assure the proper people had the proper dogs.

My mind could be changed, but it would take a plan that would gaurantee the same results. And that being nobody killed or mamed by a dog.
I respect your opinion, and I do agree, no one should be killed or mamed. The training of course would have to be at the owner's expense. Anyone that sells animals should have to require a certificate and that could be audited with taxes. Every animal sold (not counting craigslist etc) usually records the buyers name and address. The Certificate of training would just be added to that record and audited. There are plenty of dogs schools, hell petco offers dog training classes. I do agree, especially with the current state of the economy it wouldnt be a fed or state program.