Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-03-2018, 04:56 PM   #15
FrankieBee

Drives: 2015 Commemorative Edition
I had a JDP Motorsports stage 3 blower cam installed with my procharger and was told by a few people that the cam would be very choppy and driveability would suffer. Happy to say not only does it drive fantastic, it sounds great and my final number were outstanding! It is a LS3 so I know having the auto will affect driveability more than a stick.

Got mine done in Holbrook but the tune was done in Mass.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:01 PM   #16
Slvr-camaro15

Drives: 2017 zl1 ,2010 SS /RS L99
Wow loving all the different perspectives !! Thank you all sharing .!! I’m strongly considering a dragmaster sportsman cam or a dragmaster cam . Specs are very similar to the GPI SS1 . And I guess it works well with a stock converter for the L99 . If anyone has any feedback on This ???
Old 10-04-2018, 07:10 AM   #17
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slvr-camaro15 View Post
Wow loving all the different perspectives !! Thank you all sharing .!! I’m strongly considering a dragmaster sportsman cam or a dragmaster cam . Specs are very similar to the GPI SS1 . And I guess it works well with a stock converter for the L99 . If anyone has any feedback on This ???
I haven't heard you really lay out your goals in this. If you haven't already, you need to decide on what you want from the cam swap and what you're willing to spend. Maybe you want max drag strip performance with the stock bottom end at any cost. Well, then you get something like the SS4, good heads, intake, 5k stall, and 3.91s. Maybe you just wanna hear some chop while still having good street manners on a budget. So maybe that's an SS1, stock stall and gears.

Until you define exactly what you want to accomplish, it's tough to give a recommendation. That said, I don't know much about dragmaster. I do know that GPI makes some great stuff, and they have fantastic customer service. I would nail down exactly what you want to accomplish, and then give them a call. They have exactly the kind of knowledge you're looking for and are happy to give it out.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:02 AM   #18
Slvr-camaro15

Correct !! Maybe I need to be more specific . I’m looking for a cam that will give me good driveability . My car is a daily .so not looking for an aggressive cam . I’m a weekend warrior going out on meets and stuff . Not too crazy on the acoustics of the cam but looking for good street racing ability on the weekend for fun . Also looking for something that will work with the stock stall converter on my L99 . Am learning as I’m going along based off everyone’s input .
Old 10-04-2018, 08:42 AM   #19
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slvr-camaro15 View Post
Correct !! Maybe I need to be more specific . I’m looking for a cam that will give me good driveability . My car is a daily .so not looking for an aggressive cam . I’m a weekend warrior going out on meets and stuff . Not too crazy on the acoustics of the cam but looking for good street racing ability on the weekend for fun . Also looking for something that will work with the stock stall converter on my L99 . Am learning as I’m going along based off everyone’s input .
I think something like the GPI SS1 is going to be right up your alley then. Good gains everywhere, but still plays nice with the stock stall and gears. I took a quick look at those dragmaster cams - never heard of them before. They have pretty reasonable duration and lift - the LSA looks fairly tight. I don't know how well they are configured for VVT either. I would consider something specifically designed to work with and maximize the factory VVT system - you've got it, take advantage!
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:46 AM   #20
Slvr-camaro15

Wow thanks for the feedback . I spoke to my installer and he was saying he will do a VVT and DOD delete . He has done a lot of Camaro’s and Chevy SS AND G8 . Similar platforms . That’s why I was trying to get a lot of info for my own personal gains . Apparently the dragmaster sportsman and dragmaster cams are super popular in the g8 world . And I think RICK CRAWFORD is the guy who builds them to specs .
Old 10-04-2018, 10:31 AM   #21
Nb1081

Drives: 10 2ss/rs
You could call new era performance in victor i know its a haul but ill meet you there and get that flowmaster from ya
Old 10-14-2018, 04:48 PM   #22
Tarendor

Drives: 2012 camaro 2ss rs L99
I just put my GPI ss1 (plus 25% UD pulley) in my 2012 a6 with the stock stall and am loving it so far, Ryan from GPI is still tuning it but its already a completely different car. (prior to the cam I had long tubes, cat-less & muffler-less exhaust with x pipe, intake rod mod and CAI)
Tarendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:37 PM   #23
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Sounds like you need some more research. There are literally thousands of cam threads. There are cam grinders that will meet your needs and not just hand you an off the shelf. When done properly, there are other things that make the whole thing come together as one. Take tour time.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote