Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-07-2020, 08:32 PM   #15
Zombie killer
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99
I have a 2013 SS that has been running your current shock setup for awhile with no problems. I installed BMR 1.25 drop springs since 2015 and added the Bilstiens back in 2016. The rear springs have been showing signs of spring slap for almost 2 years though. I am thinking you have something off in installation or the bushings are not clocked Just right. I have never had any problems with mine and I have removed my rear suspension many times for repairs or upgrades and it all rode like a road carving dream when put back together. I am running 19x11 square setup with 305’s all around. Keeping the fronts at -2.5 negative camber keeps front poke down and I have rear camber at -1.2 negative camber. Max out caster and adjust toe settings to your liking and budget. I like to run a slight 1/16 toe out up front but I am ok with tire wear since I replace the tires yearly anyways. Hope you find your problem. I don’t think the parts are mis matched because they have a proven history together.

Oh, I need to add something. I did cut 1” off the factory bump stops in the rear when I installed my B6 shocks. I did this by cutting off 1/2” from each end of the bump stops. Maybe there could be some slight difference in ride to be found there but I doubt much unless you hit a pothole.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:21 AM   #16
dfwRobert

Drives: 11 2SS 6spd, 77 Trans Am, 13Audi Q7
A couple of people messaged me questions so I thought I would provide some feedback. The installation is good and bushings are timed correctly. I retimed a couple of times actually just to be sure. I know everyone says they did it right but...I am a shop foreman for a car dealership and when stuff goes wrong it is almost always what you messed up and not the parts that are bad. Always point the finger at yourself first. I have a friend / coworker who is very successful in SCCA time attack, he is a driving instructor, works on a world challenge GT4 team blah blah etc that was interested and helped me. He knows his stuff. We triple checked everything as well as part numbers. It's all correct.

I have had tons of lowered cars in the past (mini truck, slammed import cars, old muscle etc) and completely get how lowered cars drive. Every car I have owned accept for my wifes cars has been lowered since I have had my drivers license back in 1995. Every one of them.

The car is bouncy just cruising any speed. Not stiff or harsh. Bouncy. Like at the bottom of an elevator when you feel a bunch of cable stretch and the elevator car bounces rapidly up and down. Or an over pass or bridge when stuck in traffic that bounces. The B6s can not control the springs. At least with solid bushings added to the mix. Other BMR springs are probably better. Not bashing them.

I should have probably gone with a more common spring choice from BMR. Maybe I wouldn't have had issues. On a super flat track this set up might really work. This car is strictly a daily driver. To me a daily driver is a car my wife or kids rarely ride in. It is the thrasher car that get abused, power shifted, drifted and punished to and from work and to lunch and back 5 days a week. I've had to back off and slow down now because the car is less predictable and feels more nervous and twitchy. Looking at softer spring options for now to get some confidence back so I can return to driving like a major sh*t head lol.
2011 Black 2SS, 6 speed, AR long tubes, Borla S type full exhaust, Roto fab, prothane full bushing kit, Fe4 swap and 1le bars, 3.91s and a ton of other little stuff you can't see! No bling, wings, stickers, cool lights or junk without a purpose.
dfwRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:12 PM   #17
flht99b

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
When BMR came out with their lowering springs I was one of the first to install them. They were installed on stock SS shocks/struts. All bushings clocked. Ride was near stock, no bouncing. I believe they were 1.25" drop and progressive rate springs but I could be wrong. Only removed them for Pedders coilovers so I'd have adjustable dampening. BMR is great to work with, give them a call.
RJT 2SS/RS, AAM 3.70's, MTI Sway Bars, Shifter & SS brake lines, ZLI calipers, rotors & pads, BMR Trailing & Toe Arms, rear cradle & diff bushes, Pedders XA's, Camber/Toe eccentrics, Radius arm inserts, GTO clutch reservoir, LS9 cam, Comp valve springs, Melling 10296 oil pump, CR5 timing chain, LS6 damper, CAI Cold Air Intake, ARH LT headers w/HF cats, GMPP touring axle back, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Forgeline 20x9.5 & 20x11 DS3 whls, 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 tires, 2011 Convertible spoiler, 1LE front spoiler, Lloyd "SS" Floor Mats, GM Camaro Trunk Mat, wrapped console & Grant steering wheel.
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:24 PM   #18
dfwRobert

Quote:
Originally Posted by flht99b View Post
When BMR came out with their lowering springs I was one of the first to install them. They were installed on stock SS shocks/struts. All bushings clocked. Ride was near stock, no bouncing. I believe they were 1.25" drop and progressive rate springs but I could be wrong. Only removed them for Pedders coilovers so I'd have adjustable dampening. BMR is great to work with, give them a call.
They are not supposed to be progressive. They are SPO77R. 1.25 drop. I think other BMR springs would have been much better since there is so much positive feed back about them on this forum. I just got my combo wrong.
2011 Black 2SS, 6 speed, AR long tubes, Borla S type full exhaust, Roto fab, prothane full bushing kit, Fe4 swap and 1le bars, 3.91s and a ton of other little stuff you can't see! No bling, wings, stickers, cool lights or junk without a purpose.
Old 07-24-2020, 03:44 PM   #19
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
The SP078 Rear Springs are a Dual Rate Spring ( some people call them Dead Coil Springs)

The have a Rate of 185 when unsprung ( when the car is on a 2 Post Lift or getting "Air" over Railroad Tracks) - in other words these coils expand with no weight on the wheels.

The Driving Rate is 220

I believe there is an issue with the Bilsteins - If you could take the Shock out of the equation, a car would be bouncy as there is nothing to control it.

The Spring is the Compression side of the equation and the Shock/Damper is the Rebound side. The Damper should be controlling the movement.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:13 PM   #20
SS 310H55A

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Rides terrible with new Springs/Struts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
The SP078 Rear Springs are a Dual Rate Spring ( some people call them Dead Coil Springs)

The have a Rate of 185 when unsprung ( when the car is on a 2 Post Lift or getting "Air" over Railroad Tracks) - in other words these coils expand with no weight on the wheels.

The Driving Rate is 220

I believe there is an issue with the Bilsteins - If you could take the Shock out of the equation, a car would be bouncy as there is nothing to control it.

The Spring is the Compression side of the equation and the Shock/Damper is the Rebound side. The Damper should be controlling the movement.

Is it reasonable to assume that a brand new set of bilstein would be bad out of the box? All four of them? It sounds to me that Bilsteins just don’t match well to BMR springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-25-2020, 01:45 PM   #21
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Something posted a while back by Katech ref. B6. Might be helpful.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...light=Bilstein
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 03:42 PM   #22
dfwRobert

Name:  C6E2C31E-AC5C-4A40-83F8-551DF9B472C6.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  121.2 KB
What Katech wrote about was with OEM springs. Not lowering springs.
The pic Katech took Shows a shorter threaded end. Which would totally preload the spring more. The pic I took my threaded end matches the oem shocks.
This means:
1)Either Katech and I had different OEM shocks like SS fe2 or whatever to 1LE etc.
2)Katech or I, one of us got some funky shocks
3) Bilstein changed their shocks at some point.
I’d guess #1

Also most lowering springs on most car, not just 5th gens, you can assemble with your hands and no spring compressor needed. So no preloading issues from to short a shock. In fact the opposite is true which is what BMR was pointing out a few post ago talking about “dead coils” so the springs don’t fall out of their perch on a lift or when catching air.

Last edited by dfwRobert; 07-25-2020 at 03:58 PM.