Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-19-2020, 08:24 PM   #1
rich2342

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro SS
Recently lowered on Hotchki's - some observations

Hi all,

Recently installed Hotchki's 1 inch drop. I noticed it doesn't seem to be linear back to front. The front looks perfect, but the rear wheel seems to have too much gap, still.

Is that normal?

Concerning ride, I also have the sways and new wheels/tires.
I expected it to be tight and composed. It feels floaty and not so much composed.

All components are tightened down. Any thoughts as to what lack of stability is? It has been aligned.

Fire away..
Attached Images

rich2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:12 PM   #2
Camaro2ss2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
How far have you drove with it lowered? Have you had an alignment done yet? Did you get them to “clock” your bushings? Once it settles in it will be a little lower. I am lowered 1” but I have BMR springs
Attached Images

ECS supercharger, custom ground cam, ported throttle body, long tube headers, aeromotive fuel pump, fic injectors, ATI super damper, Corsa Extreme exhaust, elite engineering catch can and many other things.
Camaro2ss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:49 PM   #3
rich2342

Been about a few hundred miles. It was aligned.

I did the install one wheel at a time front to back. Not sure about clocking.

How is your ride? Does it tramline or feel floaty on the highway or slight transitions? Other impressions?

I have 50k on my car and kept the stock struts/shocks. Wondering if those are culprits to ride quality.

Also reused stock endlinks.
Old 04-19-2020, 10:16 PM   #4
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
When I had mine, the front lowered an inch, the rear about 3/4”. So yes more of a rake then stock ss. Handling was good, car was firmer but more stable. Ride could be abrupt on bad roads or bumps, like all drop springs. Shocks only had 15-20000 miles do we’re in good shape. If your shocks are worn the ride will be softer
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:40 AM   #5
Camaro2ss2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich2342 View Post
Been about a few hundred miles. It was aligned.

I did the install one wheel at a time front to back. Not sure about clocking.

How is your ride? Does it tramline or feel floaty on the highway or slight transitions? Other impressions?

I have 50k on my car and kept the stock struts/shocks. Wondering if those are culprits to ride quality.

Also reused stock endlinks.
Mine rides as one would expect a lowered car to ride. Handles a little better in the curves but it a little more harsh on the bumps. I did however install a strut tower brace that stiffened everything up tremendously. IMO these cars should’ve been factory with them. I had more miles than that on my struts/shocks and they were fine but they wear different for everyone. Clocking your bushing is just while all the bolts (That you had to remove/loosen to do the install) were still a little loose you either drive the car very slowly around the parking lot for a minute or have them “bounce” it on the rack before alignment. I always choose the second option Some say it is not necessary but in my opinion it helps ride quality
ECS supercharger, custom ground cam, ported throttle body, long tube headers, aeromotive fuel pump, fic injectors, ATI super damper, Corsa Extreme exhaust, elite engineering catch can and many other things.
Camaro2ss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 05:52 AM   #6
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
I have upgraded sway bars with stock springs and mine does NOT feel floaty. Reclocking the bushings with the weight on the suspension is probably the answer.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:06 AM   #7
rich2342

I fail to understand how I can loosen the suspension on the car. I assume the center spring bolts in the front? The rear cant be accessed.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:41 AM   #8
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich2342 View Post
I fail to understand how I can loosen the suspension on the car. I assume the center spring bolts in the front? The rear cant be accessed.
Do a search on retiming bushings. Pedders snd ithers I believe even put up pictures of the front and rear suspensions and the bolts to loosen. Pedders even posted a written list.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:44 AM   #9
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
A little late to see this, but you stated you also changed wheels and tires. Tires can have a huge impact on tramline.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote