Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-04-2021, 11:48 PM   #1
tlamb2
WHPLSH

Drives: 2010 SS Maggie,ARH,Meth,AFE Coilove
1LE struts and shocks on 2010SS question

So I have a 2010SS with a maggie. Currently, I have solid subframe bushings, Eibach pro kit springs, and sways. The car has 55,000 miles on it and it needs struts and shocks. What is the best route 1LE stuff? I was planning on going with the new rear sway style LCA's also but for the 1LE struts A/C delco are available but at rock auto they only sell Monroe monotube shocks for the 1LE no Delco stuff they have the rear shocks at gm parts but they are 200$ a piece. So would the Monroe pair up with the Delco struts up front? I can get Bilstein for 140$ for the rear would those work better or is it best to have all 4 the same brand. And should I keep the Eibach springs or go with BMR springs? Thanks sorry it is so long
tlamb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 08:30 AM   #2
Joe.G

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 6SP Ashen Grey
I honestly would skip the Monroe all together, I run them on a spare car I have ( I have quite a fleet of cars ) But I would not run them on a Daily driver or any sports car. I have always have had great luck with Bilstein, I have them on my Ram Truck and a BMW. My 3rd Gen 1Le came with Bilstein from the factory. I would either run a full set of Factory 1LE or Full set of Bilsteins.
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Hotckis 1" Springs & Chassis Max Brace
BMR Adjustable Swaybars,Trailing Arms, Adjustable Toe Rod, LCA & Z28 UCA Bushings Hendrix Solid Cradle Bushings
Pedders Radius Rod Inserts Strut tower brace
Hero Smoked Tail and 3rd Brake Light, Diode Dynamic SL1 Fog Lights
AeroForce Dual gauge/Autometer pillar mount.
Joe.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 10:13 PM   #3
bkscott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Unless they have fixed the banging issue with the 1le struts I would avoid them. The Bilsteins would be the way to go, but they are on backorder until January for the fronts. The rears are in short supply as well.

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, 1LE Shocks, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushing Inserts, Custom Powdercoated ZL1's ,Michelin Pilot Supersports, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam,ZL1 Diffuser,Vitesse Throttle Controller.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 03:37 AM   #4
tlamb2
WHPLSH

Is there an issue with the Bilsteins and ride height?
Old 12-06-2021, 05:47 AM   #5
Joe.G

I have not heard of any, If you are slammed right to the ground maybe but a normal drop of 1 to 1.25 should not be a issue. You could send a Email off to them, Bt those are the ones I would wait for if it were me. I have had really good luck with Koni in the past, but I have not looked into them for these cars yet.
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
BMR Adjustable Swaybars,Trailing Arms, Adjustable Toe Rod, LCA & Z28 UCA Bushings Hendrix Solid Cradle Bushings
Old 12-07-2021, 04:59 AM   #6
tlamb2
WHPLSH

Ok thanks, I can wait till the first of the year
Old 12-19-2021, 11:55 PM   #7
bkscott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
FYI the B6 have been pushed back to Feb.....

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, 1LE Shocks, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushing Inserts, Custom Powdercoated ZL1's ,Michelin Pilot Supersports, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam,ZL1 Diffuser,Vitesse Throttle Controller.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 11:19 AM   #8
tlamb2
WHPLSH

I think I am going with coil-overs. Now I have to decide which one to go with Pedders or BC coil-overs. They are both the same price which is better?
Old 12-21-2021, 11:25 AM   #9
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlamb2 View Post
I think I am going with coil-overs. Now I have to decide which one to go with Pedders or BC coil-overs. They are both the same price which is better?
My first set of coilovers was Pedders. (I'm on #4 now). I had them for one season on the track and sold them to upgrade to Pfadt Racing. The guy I sold them to messaged me back after 6 months and said they were leaking. Not the first case of failed Pedders I read about. Pfadts were good but any track shock needs to be rebuilt and of course they started leaking and it cost at the time $250 a corner to have redone. I used them for a few more years and then went with RideTech HQs. Had those for 5 years and no issues other than the drop cannot be higher than 1.5 inches. That was too low for me and I just bought a set of KWs which got me at the 1 inch drop I wanted. Whatever direction you go, save your old struts. You'll likely need pieces off of them for the coilovers and if you decide down the road you want to go back to a Bilstein or other quality shock you'll be glad you did. I did not save my struts and had to search for all the bits needed for the new coilovers. I had considered going with the Bilsteins but out of stock for a while.
Old 12-22-2021, 01:17 AM   #10
tlamb2
WHPLSH

I just found these on Ebay only 300 miles on them for 1600$
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2021, 08:08 AM   #11
Joe.G

I guess depending what you want to do Coil overs would be a good choice, But I think if you are just going to be a street car with occasional track days I think I would stick with Lowering Springs and a high quality strut/shock.

I am not saying the tuning options and the handling have the edge with Coil overs but a good spring/strut /shock set up will be more then enough.

I have experience with KYB/Koni red/Blistein on 3rd Gen Track cars and all were very good, Koni's were adjustable which was a nice feature and they held up with Zero leaks with many hard miles. I am new to the 5th Gen cars and learning what works myself on these so I am not sure how this transfers to these but I would not hesitate to run any top brand. I would skip any lower brands.
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Old 12-22-2021, 06:39 PM   #12
tlamb2
WHPLSH

I ended up buying those AFE coil overs so that is done. I bought the wide LCA's and have Eibach sways now so I need a wide rear sway any ideas anyone on which would be the best sway to go with? and need end links also budget is 200-300$
Old 12-28-2021, 04:47 PM   #13
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlamb2 View Post
I ended up buying those AFE coil overs so that is done. I bought the wide LCA's and have Eibach sways now so I need a wide rear sway any ideas anyone on which would be the best sway to go with? and need end links also budget is 200-300$
I hope you got the version 2 of those coilovers. The version 1 that Pfadt made is no longer supported by AFE for rebuilding. So if/when they start leaking they'll be junk. Also, at the time I had them they were $250 a corner to have rebuilt.
Old 01-03-2022, 01:26 AM   #14
tlamb2
WHPLSH

The coilovers arrived and they were not as described actually one had this janky weld on it. So I opened a return claim and eBay sided with me. They are returning my $ and shipping. The guy who sold them to me tried to say I was switching out his good parts with old used ones what a scammer. So I am getting my $ back and they said he is not responding so I do not have to return the coilovers. I do not know if these can be rebuilt or not so I am back to square one do I wait for bilstein to come in stock or rebuild these or go with air lift which is pretty spendy
Attached Images