Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-29-2021, 02:39 AM   #1
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Another brake pad question…

I’ve learned over the years that unless you’re doing something extraordinary, OEM is usually best but the GM pads on RockAuto are kind of expensive. Are the AC/Delco listed on RA similar or comparable? Another benefit hopefully is I wouldn’t have to hack off the roller skates, which is what I would do because I actually have a spare tire (I’m old school). Having said all that, I don’t want to lose any performance so if I have to pay the money for the GM ones listed, so be it. The Brembos also look comparable at about half the cost.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 05:12 AM   #2
Camaro__ss

Drives: 2013 L99
If you are cutting the “roller skates” off anyway why do you care? Get the cheapest parts you can find. I doubt you will ever know the difference. They are only brakes. With all the cars on the road, you could always crash into someone else to stop.
Camaro__ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 06:26 AM   #3
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

Drives: Camaros
With a name like “Cheap Guy” I’m guessing it’s a struggle to rationalize much spending. If you’re happy with the factory performance, then spend the money for the OE stuff. Pretty simple decision, IMO.

There are plenty of good options in brake pads for the Brembo calipers. Hawk, Raybestos, EBC, etc. But with more performance may come other trade offs such as noise, dust, etc. On the other hand, you may find better performance with less dust or noise than OE.
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 07:13 AM   #4
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
AC Delco "Pro" are not the same parts the car came with from the factory. That is GM's way of selling you Chinese parts for more money. They are at least as good as what you get at Advance or Auto Zone. I don't have any experience with their pads, but I have purchased a number of AC Delco "Pro" parts and sometimes it's been a bit disappointing.

Brembo makes good stuff as do many others. One thing I have found with Rock Auto is sometime there is a reason what seems to be a brand named part is on wholesaler closeout, e.g. they had to change the design because it was not good.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:08 AM   #5
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

Drives: Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
AC Delco "Pro" are not the same parts the car came with from the factory. That is GM's way of selling you Chinese parts for more money. They are at least as good as what you get at Advance or Auto Zone. I don't have any experience with their pads, but I have purchased a number of AC Delco "Pro" parts and sometimes it's been a bit disappointing.

Brembo makes good stuff as do many others. One thing I have found with Rock Auto is sometime there is a reason what seems to be a brand named part is on wholesaler closeout, e.g. they had to change the design because it was not good.
The Pro/Gold are premium aftermarket parts. They meet or exceed OE specs. The Advantage/Silver are the basic aftermarket parts. They meet safety standards, but may not meet longevity or performance standards. I would not recommend any basic replacement part, ACDelco or not.
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:18 AM   #6
Cheap Guy

Responding to some of the comment, again, I'm looking for cheaper, but not worse, substitutes. If I have to pay the higher cost for the GM brand, that's fine, but if I can get a comparable set of pads for less money, it makes sense to go that route. I've been around long enough to know that sometimes you're paying a premium just for the GM name when they basically are slapping their name on products made by another company who are selling them cheaper under a different name. As far as the "roller skates" again, if there's a brand that's comparable to stock without the balancers, then I'd consider those, not that it's a big deal to break out the grinder or cutter to cut them off.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Old 10-02-2021, 11:39 AM   #7
shu92870

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE
Just me $.02.

But performance wise the stock Brembo Feroda HP 1000 pads are exceptional.
Great for spirited driving and the occasional track day.

After about 20 track days i can honestly say I am at the limit of the stock pads and ready for a step up

You want less performance and you don’t drive hard-by all means skimp and get cheap pads.

PS - why are you cutting off the front round ears? Those are there to quiet vibration/squeaks.
Why are you running a spare? Our wheels have sensors so you know when they are going/are flat-go fix it.
shu92870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 10:28 PM   #8
Cheap Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu92870 View Post
Just me $.02.

But performance wise the stock Brembo Feroda HP 1000 pads are exceptional.
Great for spirited driving and the occasional track day.

After about 20 track days i can honestly say I am at the limit of the stock pads and ready for a step up

You want less performance and you don’t drive hard-by all means skimp and get cheap pads.

PS - why are you cutting off the front round ears? Those are there to quiet vibration/squeaks.
Why are you running a spare? Our wheels have sensors so you know when they are going/are flat-go fix it.
I don't trust the the "run flat" tires - I drive in a some desolate places and the inflator that's provided doesn't give me the confidence I prefer. I've had situations where a tire was slashed so bad (railroad ties) that an inflator would be useless. I don't plan on skimping on cheap pads but if I can get a good set of pads at a comparable price, it just makes sense to go that route.

After reading dang near every brake pad thread, I decided to just go with the OEM GM pads, despite the cost. It just seemed the smart and conservative thing to do. I'll think I'll do a little bit more research about cutting off the ears, "roller skates" before I do the cutting.

This is what you get if you order the GM pads from
Rock Auto.
Attached Images

Last edited by Cheap Guy; 10-03-2021 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-03-2021, 11:30 PM   #9
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap Guy View Post
I don't trust the the "run flat" tires - I drive in a some desolate places and the inflator that's provided doesn't give me the confidence I prefer. I've had situations where a tire was slashed so bad (railroad ties) that an inflator would be useless. I don't plan on skimping on cheap pads but if I can get a good set of pads at a comparable price, it just makes sense to go that route.

After reading dang near every brake pad thread, I decided to just go with the OEM GM pads, despite the cost. It just seemed the smart and conservative thing to do. I'll think a little bit more about cutting off the ears, "roller skates" after I do a little more reading.
I tried the powerstop pads a while back and took them off shortly afterwards. Absolute junk pads imo.... I ended up putting the stock pads back on and I swear they are night and day better. Also I know you say you have a spare. This place sells spare tire kits and also has a spacer to clear the pad "skates".

https://modernspare.com/product/2010...ncluding-z-28/
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 11:35 PM   #10
Cheap Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveradoss573 View Post
I tried the powerstop pads a while back and took them off shortly afterwards. Absolute junk pads imo.... I ended up putting the stock pads back on and I swear they are night and day better. Also I know you say you have a spare. This place sells spare tire kits and also has a spacer to clear the pad "skates".

Yup, already got that in my trunk.

Old 10-08-2021, 07:21 PM   #11
Cheap Guy

Well, that's all done. Left the roller skates on because I had the dealer do it since they gave me an offer to put them on, including turning the rotors, for $90. I estimated that turning the rotors on my own would run about $15 each rotor so I said WTH and let them do it. And yes, they used the new caliper bolts with thread lock on them that I also provided.

Old 10-09-2021, 11:58 AM   #12
Pete G

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post

I have experience with Advance Auto's best Wear Ever Pads.
last year at Watkin Glen I wore out my brand new OEM Delco pads and went out to get what I could in a crunch. I didn't make it through one session before the pads were gone and I was on the backing plate and wiped out my rotors.
Pete G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 12:06 PM   #13
Pete G

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveradoss573 View Post

Which Power Stop Pads did you try?
Last year I had new OEM brembo pads at Watkins Glen and they were done after one day. I tried Power Stop Track Day Pads at Pocono mega course and felt they did stop a bit better than the OEM.
Now I just put 6 pistons on and cant get Track Day Pads for them and don't know what to get.

Can anyone say what a comparable alternative would be for Power Stop Track Day Pads to use with 6 piston Calipers would be?
Pete G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 12:44 PM   #14
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete G View Post
Which Power Stop Pads did you try?
The powerstop z26 pads which if I recall was hit and miss for others that tried them out.
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote