Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-04-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
Baltimorejohn1

Drives: Camaro 2SS
QUESTION: Is New ZL1 going to be faster than....

the original ZL1 from 1969?

Here is the link to the original ZL1 in the 1/4 mile

1969 ZL1 vs 69 Yenko -

69 ZL1 vs 69 L88 -
Baltimorejohn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Thanks for the great video. The new ZL1 will have to run strong to stay with it's predecessor. The new ZL1 will have to turn off the A/C, turn off the iPod, close the sunroof, set the traction control, set the launch control, fine tune the HUD, set performance traction to '5' Race, turn off active handling, set suspension mode to 'Track', adjust the drink in the drink holder, watch the boost gauge, lower the pressure in the 305's, watch the shift light and hang on. No Problem!

Last edited by OldJedi; 07-04-2011 at 09:19 PM.
OldJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Those two may be called 69 zl , but most likely have something other than the 69 engine under there , and by the # that SCOTT is talking about this old ZL will not have a chance
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:09 PM   #4
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
The fastest STOCK ZL-1 times I've ever read about put them at the bottom 13s... I know full exhaust and tuning dropped seconds off tthat time with slicks. I'm not sure what to make from the times in those videos but if the times I'm thinking abut are really conservative, then ZL1 is going to havd to use every bit of technology it possesses in order to keep up. I maintai that I think those were not stock-style cars but J could be wrong.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:13 PM   #5
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Looks like he was running some slicks in the first video..... Look around the 10 second mark

Just found this on discoverys how stuff works web site...

"The entire car carried the full 5-year/50,000-mile warranty and was fully street-legal. With the factory's stock dual exhausts and tires, it turned low 13s; headers, slicks, and tuning got it into the 11.6s at 122 mph"

http://musclecars.howstuffworks.com/...camaro-zl1.htm
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #6
RocketCutlass
Property USMC

Drives: 95 Caprice 9C1
Well what are actual CTS-V owners running stock? Those damn magazine tests have it in the low to mid 12's. I thought all the old ZL1's needed to get into the 11's was slicks?
RocketCutlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #7
radz28
Petro-sexual

Exactly, 'Mac. It sounds like there are some loose converters in those cars, too. I don't know what the factory stall speed was in those 400s, but they sounded like 4000 stalls or something. The shift extension seemed pretty high.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 07-04-2011, 09:40 PM   #8
hairtrigger

Drives: 69 Chevelle SS396 2013 ZL1
Those times are pretty easy to do with a big block of that era. I do a full second quicker than those cars with not much more cam, dual plane intake, 1 3/4" headers thru the 3" X pipe with mufflers on pump gas. Difference is I have a 3800 stall, manual reverse valve body, t-brake and 2 step to get a 1.4x sixty. I am also 300#'s heavier than those cars.

For the ZL1 to get into the mid 11's it has to hook at least 1.6x sixties. It will need slicks for sure and a skilled driver to hook a stick, not sure if the auto will have enough stall and gear to launch a 1.6x. I predict 1.75 and 11.99 with a good 120 mph based on the published HP.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:06 AM   #9
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairtrigger View Post
Those times are pretty easy to do with a big block of that era. I do a full second quicker than those cars with not much more cam, dual plane intake, 1 3/4" headers thru the 3" X pipe with mufflers on pump gas. Difference is I have a 3800 stall, manual reverse valve body, t-brake and 2 step to get a 1.4x sixty. I am also 300#'s heavier than those cars.

For the ZL1 to get into the mid 11's it has to hook at least 1.6x sixties. It will need slicks for sure and a skilled driver to hook a stick, not sure if the auto will have enough stall and gear to launch a 1.6x. I predict 1.75 and 11.99 with a good 120 mph based on the published HP.
I'm certainly not questioning the ability of those cars to run those times, however, I still ask if those are stock cars because I have yet to see any published times as low as those. I have an old Hot Rod that had a ZL-1 car that was running those times after the kind of tweaking already posted in this thread. That's one thing. If we're going to compare generations, though, we should compare stock-to-stock, and that's where I think ZL-1 would get a serious beating at the strip.

I don't really think we need to go there when we starting thinking about a track... My highest respect goes to ZL-1; please don't mistake my words. ZL1 is the new King, as it should be. It's 40 years advanced, so I expect it to be.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 07-05-2011, 09:35 AM   #10
Dr. Jamie

Drives: '11 IOM 1SS/RS
Interesting thread ....

The well known free lance writer, Ro McGonegal, writing for Super Stock & Drag Illustrated in 1970, referred to the ZL1 Camaro as “Hellboy”! It ran 11.60s at 124 mph with open long tube headers – worth 100 horsepower according to Ro - on slicks with some carb tuning. The car was tuned by Dick Harrell out of the Fred Gibb Chevy Dealership (Kansas City). I've talked with Ro at length about driving that car on that day, and the wildest part was how Dick asked him to drive the thing: neutal drop the the Turbo 400 with the engine at 6,000 RPM. Ro told me almost put it in the wall three times, then Dick took over, ripping a string of 11.60s.

Stock for stock, the new car will murder an original ZL1 - just because of the tires. Give them both slicks, and it's going to be a great race.

Happy Bench Racing!
Dr. Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:56 AM   #11
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. GMPP View Post
Interesting thread ....

The well known free lance writer, Ro McGonegal, writing for Super Stock & Drag Illustrated in 1970, referred to the ZL1 Camaro as “Hellboy”! It ran 11.60s at 124 mph with open long tube headers – worth 100 horsepower according to Ro - on slicks with some carb tuning. The car was tuned by Dick Harrell out of the Fred Gibb Chevy Dealership (Kansas City). I've talked with Ro at length about driving that car on that day, and the wildest part was how Dick asked him to drive the thing: neutal drop the the Turbo 400 with the engine at 6,000 RPM. Ro told me almost put it in the wall three times, then Dick took over, ripping a string of 11.60s.

Stock for stock, the new car will murder an original ZL1 - just because of the tires. Give them both slicks, and it's going to be a great race.

Happy Bench Racing!
Wasn't it Dick Harrell that pushed GM for 9560? Then he got the surprise of his life when he started getting the invoices for the car he pretty much asked for? Yeah - the manifolds were like L78s with square ports and ZL-1 ports were round, so there's a bit of a problem, there, LOL!!!

That's still not stock, though, and I'm not certain a tire change would still be close enough. I think I only remember trap speeds around 110 MPH. I believe ZL1 will have trap spees close to 10 MPH higher than that.

One of the things I have a little bit of trouble with, is how GM is marketing the car. To me, ZL1 is nothing like ZL-1, and to liken the two doesn't make too much sense. ZL-1 was a stripper with a single exceptional attribute, the motor. ZL1 is quite the opposite, with technoloy bristling at every corner of the car. It is not a one-trick-pony. However, because I'm a strip guy, that's where I'll be spending most of my time, so ZL-1 would've been perfect for me, if I were alive and had the money.

One thing is for certain: ZL-1 was built to do one thing, and it did it the BEST. Wasn't the first Pro Stock season in '69 or '70 won by Bill ''Grumpy" Jenkins in a ZL-1? At least I remember that ZL-1 was the first Pro Stocker to break the 9s. Enough said

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 07-05-2011, 10:25 AM   #12
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Would 60's era slicks be better or worse than today's better street tires?
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:26 AM   #13
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Does the ZL1's trap speed seem low?
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:56 AM   #14
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
One of the things I have a little bit of trouble with, is how GM is marketing the car. To me, ZL1 is nothing like ZL-1, and to liken the two doesn't make too much sense. ZL-1 was a stripper with a single exceptional attribute, the motor. ZL1 is quite the opposite, with technoloy bristling at every corner of the car. It is not a one-trick-pony. However, because I'm a strip guy, that's where I'll be spending most of my time, so ZL-1 would've been perfect for me, if I were alive and had the money.
The new ZL1 is going to be such an impressive car is because it will be a great all around performance vehicle. It will perform well on the track, at the strip, and will be more than drivable on the street.

The original 9560 COPOs and the ZL-1 and L88 Corvettes were meant for off-road use only, and were not really street-able at all. They came equipped with warning stickers indicating that engine damage might occur if less than 103 octane gasoline was used, and they would overheat if they had to idle for any length of time or if one attempted to drive them in stop and go traffic.

One really needed to trailer those vehicles to the race track. Whereas, with the new ZL1, one can drive it to the track or strip, put on a set of race ready tires, set the MR to sport, and it'll be ready to race. When done, just remount the OEM F1 tires, set the MR back to tour, and it's ready to drive home.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote