Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

Old 12-07-2011, 04:50 PM   #15
carguy
Carguy

Drives: 57Chevy,67,80,2@10's camaro's,04SSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
You should try someting different.
Curious though, why a LS3? How come you didn't get them to bore it to a 418 or 427?
Should have had it stroked but started out with the LS6 supercharged package that was quite a bit cheaper...than one thing lead to another and I started talking to Kolby at Turn Key and he said he saw a couple second gen camaro's with the same package at SEMA and they were under hood so I bit the bullet and went to the 700hp package.

But as we sit here today I can't tell you how many times I have almost picked up the phone to see if it was too late to stroke it but that complicates too many things at this stage of the game. I would have to overdrive the blower on the back side to compensate for the increase ci's as well as a new crank, so yes looking back to do it again I would go with a 427 ci version of the ls3 but in reality, I don't think it's going to make much difference on the street and it's nuttin but a toy for the street so I think I am pretty much over the top for now anyway. My2010's keep me grinning all day and this package should be even more fun...can't wait.

Got a friend that put a Ford Coyote Motor in a really clean but old70's maverick.
That's what started this Krap. It is an absolute ball!

Now it's my turn......lol

And as I am writing this he is scouring the net for a Pinto...

He is all into the power to weight ratio thing....

Where it ends who knows....if I loose one in my 2010's I will definitely stroke it.

You kinda stabbed me in the heart with the question cause it has been bothering me everyday that I didn't. Just hadnt told anybody

2010 SS/RS LS3, 21" Rims, SLP lowering Kit & sway bars, TVS2300, Hennesy CAI, Kooks LT Headrers & Cats, Corsa Exhaust, RIP Shift ST shifter, SLP Hood & Spoiler, Slp Black out package - Grill SS & Rear SS Emblems, ADM Dual Fuel Pump , 3.6 upper Pulley, 10% overdriven Innovators West Crank Pulley& Pin Kit.

.................................................. ..............................
carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:03 PM   #16
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy View Post
Should have had it stroked but started out with the LS6 supercharged package that was quite a bit cheaper...than one thing lead to another and I started talking to Kolby at Turn Key and he said he saw a couple second gen camaro's with the same package at SEMA and they were under hood so I bit the bullet and went to the 700hp package.

But as we sit here today I can't tell you how many times I have almost picked up the phone to see if it was too late to stroke it but that complicates too many things at this stage of the game. I would have to overdrive the blower on the back side to compensate for the increase ci's as well as a new crank, so yes looking back to do it again I would go with a 427 ci version of the ls3 but in reality, I don't think it's going to make much difference on the street and it's nuttin but a toy for the street so I think I am pretty much over the top for now anyway. My2010's keep me grinning all day and this package should be even more fun...can't wait.

Got a friend that put a Ford Coyote Motor in a really clean but old70's maverick.
That's what started this Krap. It is an absolute ball!

Now it's my turn......lol

And as I am writing this he is scouring the net for a Pinto...

He is all into the power to weight ratio thing....

Where it ends who knows....if I loose one in my 2010's I will definitely stroke it.

You kinda stabbed me in the heart with the question cause it has been bothering me everyday that I didn't. Just hadnt told anybody
Sorry, bro'. But, seemed to me it just made more sense especially considering the cost associated, and the block for a 376, 418 or 427 is all the same.

But, yes at 700rwhp. that will be plenty for the street.

I'm in the same boat as you waiting for engine to get done so I can drive, unfortunately for me winter is here, and won't be able to drive until spring, so kind of takes away the enjoyment. My engine build has been going on since mid June.

Any eta for when you will get the new monster engine?
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:18 AM   #17
carguy
Carguy

Quote:
Sorry, bro'. But, seemed to me it just made more sense especially considering the cost associated, and the block for a 376, 418 or 427 is all the same.

But, yes at 700rwhp. that will be plenty for the street.

I'm in the same boat as you waiting for engine to get done so I can drive, unfortunately for me winter is here, and won't be able to drive until spring, so kind of takes away the enjoyment. My engine build has been going on since mid June.

Any eta for when you will get the new monster engine?
Talked to Kolby tonight...he said should be finishing up by Friday....

I guess we will see. Winter here as well just no snow yet. I am building or starting to build the fuel system now. I want to put the pump in the tank instead of using an external pump that they send with the kit.

I am having a tank built at rock valley as we speak. They are working with aero motive to custom build me a tank that I can service the pump and filters from the rear end side of the tank without dropping the tank.

I wanna make sure the pump stays cool and the best way to do that is put it in the tank.

Already sold my other motor so I am ready to rock.

2010 SS/RS LS3, 21" Rims, SLP lowering Kit & sway bars, TVS2300, Hennesy CAI, Kooks LT Headrers & Cats, Corsa Exhaust, RIP Shift ST shifter, SLP Hood & Spoiler, Slp Black out package - Grill SS & Rear SS Emblems, ADM Dual Fuel Pump , 3.6 upper Pulley, 10% overdriven Innovators West Crank Pulley& Pin Kit.

.................................................. ..............................
Old 12-08-2011, 11:17 AM   #18
carguy
Carguy

Here is the big hole I promised. Sorry about the quality...Phone pic.

Name:  IMG-20111208-00069.jpg
Views: 1446
Size:  95.5 KB
Name:  IMG-20111208-00067.jpg
Views: 1912
Size:  133.5 KB

For a bonus I added my buddy's `1970 Maverick with coyote motor.

Name:  IMG-20111208-00071.jpg
Views: 2837
Size:  152.6 KB
Name:  IMG-20111208-00072.jpg
Views: 2325
Size:  154.4 KB

yes he will be painting it...just enjoying it until the snow flies for now. Boy does at haul Azz!

Last edited by carguy; 12-08-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:22 AM   #19
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy View Post
Here is the big hole I promised. Sorry about the quality...Phone pic.

Attachment 313304

For a bonus I added my buddy's `1970 Maverick with coyote motor.

Attachment 313305
Attachment 313306

yes he will be painting it...just enjoying it until the snow flies for now. Boy does at haul Azz!
That's a sick Maverick!
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #20
carguy
Carguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
That's a sick Maverick!
Yes it is !

I never thought I would say I thought there was such a thing as a sick Maverick ! but this my friend is just that.

This thing breaks the tires loose at 80MPH.

I didn't even think there were any Mavericks left...Thought they all desolved. This thing is clean. He bought it for 6 grand with a 351 in it and sold motor and trans.

It has a c4 3 speed auto with 3:25 gears in a 8 inch rear.

Blows peoples minds. Nothing more fun than going to the Ford dealer...or anywhere else for that matter, to get the oil Changed ! The facial expressions when they open the hood are worth a million bucks.

Not a true hard core Ford guy but I can tell you there have been a lot of vettes and Camaros left sitting at the stop light wondering what the heck just happened.

Anyway...not a Ford Thread so I will leave it at that. Just thoght it was worth sharing in case you pull up next to a green 70 Maverick in Illinois at a stop light. Be warned...some things aren't always how they appear.

Good day folks and as soon as I get my motor I will begin the instal details for those who have intrest. Should be fun. Hopefully I will be able to take a Maverick.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:23 PM   #21
carguy
Carguy

Well another set. Back.... Manual throttle body interferes with Maggie Drive setup. Have to switch to drive by wire. Now I have to wait for a retune to include drive by wire. I will also loose the kick down function on the turbo 350. No biggie....

Old 12-14-2011, 03:54 PM   #22
carguy
Carguy

Blown LS3 waiting to go in....

Well,

Were getting Closer. Here is the l;ittle jewel as it is being finnished up at turn Key. Should go on Dyno Tomorrow or Friday.

Name:  image001.jpg
Views: 1424
Size:  56.6 KB

Name:  image002.jpg
Views: 1402
Size:  48.7 KB

Name:  image003.jpg
Views: 1503
Size:  50.3 KB

Name:  image004.jpg
Views: 1246
Size:  55.1 KB

Old 12-14-2011, 10:44 PM   #23
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Wow. Nice works. All the shiny billet pulleys. Is this a custom LS3? Definately, not crate GM stuff.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:56 AM   #24
carguy
Carguy

Quote:
Wow. Nice works. All the shiny billet pulleys. Is this a custom LS3? Definately, not crate GM stuff.
It was built by turnkey engine supply they have many LS packages available from mild to wild....

This is their 710 HP version only they put a maggie on it for me instead of a Ken Bell. I was worried about hood clearance. I want to keep it under my stock Z28 hood.

Wheter it fits or not or should I say I will have to see what I have to do to Make it fit....Soon as it gets here.

www.TurnKeyEngine.com

Last edited by carguy; 12-15-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #25
Oneslowz28
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 #1265
Very cool, should be fun. Any recent updates?
Oneslowz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #26
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

So, what's the deal. Did yo fire that thing up yet or what?
Old 02-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #27
carguy
Carguy

Well....Sorry about the Hiatus but the Three week turn around From turnkey ended up being a three month turn around. They ran into a few un expected snags. I will give you a brief rundown on what we ran into and where it stands.

First, turnkey had not Done any TVS2300's and the first snag was that they usually convert the Drive by wire throttle boddies to cable so as not to have to make the switch to Drive by wire thus making the install easier on the old retro fits.Also allows you to use manusl kickdown cable on the turbo 350. The snag here is...the manual throttlebody interfeerede with the surpentine drive on the TVSsetup...thus we had to switch to DBW. This turned into a programming nightmare.

Second snag was dialing in the boost. After many UPS packages sent back and forth to Magnusun ( of course thyis was all taking place over the holidays and year end so everyones invetory was low and everybody on vacation for weeks at a time. Magnusun didnt even get open until the 3rd of January so we did a lot of waiting.

Kudos to turnkey...KOLBY and KOREY were very patient with me as I continued to hound them for updates, almost on a daily bassis. So, anyway After 5 weeks on the dyno I finally got the motor shipped wich they did Fedex ( again Kudos to turnkey they did it on their Dime) and now the ball is in My Court Finally.

The Dyno Pull which I will post shows it pulled at about 690 Ft Lbs of tourque on a fresh motor and 91 octane fuel Running 9.5 lbs of boost. Haqd to go to a 10% overdrive crank pulley to get there. I was looking for 10lbs but fell a little shy but the numbers look pretty good so we took what we had. I can always up the anty later if need be.

Now...as we uncrated the motor there were several parts that were supposed to be included but were missing. Most importanantly the motor mount adapter plates followed by flex plate spacer, heat exchanger and pump for inter cooler and a couple other misc. items which once again were sent to me by turnkey after advising them of the omission. I think they were in such a hurry to get the motor to me or should i say get it off the dyno and me off there back they just weren't real thurough in packing. As a matter of fact when they engine arrived it still had water in the block which could have been disasterous when shipping to northern Illinois...fortunately we had a week of warm weather when it was shipped so no damage was done but could have been a disasterous mistake. Thank God it wasn't.

Anyway, than after the engine arrived i was out of state for 10 days so that pushed me back even farther. We are now going full speed ahead...but have encountered numerous obstacles along the way but nothing that we haven't been able to resolve so far.

The hood clearance is looking sketchy...I am hoping I can cut some hood out underneath the factory teardrop scoop on the 1980 z28 hood but that remains to be seen. More to come on that.

after dropping the engine in and pulling it back out too many times to count the issues that needed to be resolved were.

Back coil andcylinder head were hitting on Factory airconditioning box. There is a little tab on the box that I have no idea what purpose it served was had to be trimmed but was done succesfully.

The coil covers sent by turnkey were waty to tall and to gain clearance for the coil covers they had the AC compressor hung way to far out and hit the fenderwells so we had to shorten the heim shaft and bring the compressor in and resize the belt which was also a hastle. Not many choices in that length of belt especially in an 8 rib version.

Now the biggest issue that eally had me scratching my head was the factory alternator mount being down low caused the alternator to interfere with the steering box. It just misses the box if you take the rag joint cover off but the pitman arm still hit the alternator when making right turns. This issue was resolved by heating the pitman arm and bending it 2 inches downward to clear the alternator. The Idler arm than had to be dropped 2 inches as well in order to maintain propery steer geometry but that has been completed and worked out great. Might need to drop tie rods but that is done easily enough through drops made for stock car racing but until we set the ride height we have not determined the need yet. Everything looks goog now but I think I will have to lower the suspension either with drop spindles or softer springs eventually. We dont have radiator etc all mounted so to early to tell but with the weight savings from the old iron block and 6/71 blower and not having all the accesories hanging out as far in front it looks like we are sitting a little hi in front. The surpantine setup keeps everything very tight up front so there now is a ton of room between the front of all the accessories and the radiator.

So as it stands Now..we have resolved all clearance problems have engine in the engine compartment as it will be. Still working on running wires and fuel lines etc. Kinda in the final mock upstage before pulling the motor again to clean up and detail. I have only checked drivers side header working on Pass. side now. Than have to run intercooler pump lines and mount pump and heat exchanger and we should be good to go. I am using Roto Fab Coil covers which look like they will fit well. I have some phone pics that arent great but will give everyone an Idea of wghere we are at.

I definately think I am inventing the wheel here. I know there have been quite a few LS conversions done on Second Gen. Camaro's but throwing the AC in and The tvs2300 supercharger on top has really muddied the waters. Thank God I have an awesome fabricator doing the work. Anybody that can stuff a coyotee in a maverick makes this look easy.

We are moving ahead rapidly now so I should be having more updates more frequently now. I will get a better camara as soon as we get some of the mess cleaned up but this is what I have for now....

Name:  IMG-20120207-00132.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  109.6 KB

Name:  IMG-20120207-00131.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  116.0 KB

Name:  IMG-20120207-00136.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  122.6 KB

Name:  IMG-20120207-00134.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  118.1 KB

Name:  IMG-20120207-00135.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  89.1 KB

Old 02-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #28
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Don't stress out about the delays. It's typical. I've never heard of anyone getting an engine built in 3-weeks, and I'd be very sceptical of any hand made engine that arrives that quickly especially if it's being built for boost.

As for the other stuff, I'm sure it's typical to run into clearance issues when stuffing new motor in an older vehicle, so I'm sure your team will get it sorted out.

Can't wait to see and hear final results.

BTW - Engine looks nice, all those pretty shiny pulleys. LOL