Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-26-2019, 08:26 PM   #1
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Drives: 15 2lt RS Top Gun Camaro
Dealer Alignment

5K miles ago I had Top Gun (Camaro) at the dealer for alignment. I went in depth with the top wrench that it gets set to spec. Shows me the before and after setup and the car handled drove good. So today I look at the front tires and noticed they are cupping on the outside edge! I though what the heck???? So me and my monkey put the car up on ramps and check the toe. Its WAY off and nothing is loose or worn. So the only explanation is the alignment machine is improperly calibrated. Now I have to go back convince these guys their setup is wrong. Geez I didn't even look at the back yet. This car is starting to piss me off.
152LTRockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:25 PM   #2
Roader

Drives: Camaro
Probably all that power thats causing the issue
Roader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 11:11 PM   #3
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
I have been a life-long fan of Bear alignment equipment. I won't go to a shop that uses anything else. Just my own personal choice and others will have their preference as well. My local Firestone shop uses Bear, and I have a lifetime package on my Camaro. I know--the person performing the alignment is just as critical as the equipment--and I look for someone who has more than a "moments" experience. I always test drive after--and it has gone back for an immediate re-alignment on more than one occasion.
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 02:44 AM   #4
weSS1LEy
weSS1LEy

Drives: 2015 camaro 2ss/rs/1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roader View Post
Probably all that power thats causing the issue
lmao
Old 05-27-2019, 06:23 AM   #5
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

I'm not sure what equipment they use but they have a system that checks the cars alignment as you drive into service. It reported the alignment was ok............the passenger front tire was VISIBLY cambered out ALOT. I questioned that right away, they stood there scratching their heads. I guess no one questioned its results before. The tech that worked on it was very good, got it setup perfect according to the machine. Sad I can do better in the driveway with a tape measure. It was toed in over 1/8, just hard to believe their equipment could be that far off. Nothing wore or loose, the car coasts forever now when you let off the gas. Amazing how much tires can slow a car down when the toe is off.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:24 PM   #6
LuSINda

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
You'll probably see an increase in mileage also after eliminating all that friction.

Lusinda
2010 2SS/RS
LuSINda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:30 PM   #7
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Its high 25-27 local now but I have to agree it should increase some. We drove it about 100 miles today and it really works nice rolling into the throttle now the car responds much nicer. The outer edge was scrubbing hard both sides before. I should have suspected something before because the neighbor commented how his Camaro coasts so far. I thought well mine doesn't.

I know that mileage sounds too high but that's what it gets and I keep good records. What is even weirder is we are not driving for fuel mileage BUT(there's always a but)we can't use regular fuel. If we do the car just feels lifeless in the warmer weather. Pulls all the timing out every time you try to accelerate but never pings or knocks. These newer knock sensors must be super sensitive.

Last edited by 152LTRockin; 05-27-2019 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:26 PM   #8
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
That mileage doesn't sound high to me. I can get 23/24 just driving around town gently.
I never took it on the freeway to see the best it could do.

It sounds like the tech that did the alignment was out of calibration. I never got a good alignment at a dealer or tire service center. Never.

Most places will just do a "toe and go". You have to go to a place that specializes in alignments and pay a few hundred to get a good one.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:26 AM   #9
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
That mileage doesn't sound high to me. I can get 23/24 just driving around town gently.
I never took it on the freeway to see the best it could do.

It sounds like the tech that did the alignment was out of calibration. I never got a good alignment at a dealer or tire service center. Never.

Most places will just do a "toe and go". You have to go to a place that specializes in alignments and pay a few hundred to get a good one.
Well no one else seems to get decent mileage except us, does yours wheelie too? LMAO.

My experience too on getting a good alignment, the tech was cool and did exactly what I asked unfortunately the alignment machine off or he doesn't know how to do a proper setup when putting the car on the machine. The tires are wearing nice now and all the feathering is gone. Dam its impossible to get anything done right today. It just frustrates me, today I called a different dealer about cleaning the intake valves etc what they offer. They didn't know and have to get back to me. WTH? Honestly I've had my fill and we only own this car for 2 months!

Welcome to the world of throw away cars , no one will be fixing these nightmares 10 years from now trust me. There will be no possible means to repair the electronics!

I gotta tell you I'm looking every day for a good used 4th gen LS1 car. As much as I like this Camaro I'm too old to be dealing with all this crap.

Last edited by 152LTRockin; 05-31-2019 at 12:36 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:44 AM   #10
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Talked to the dealer today about the toe being off. They admitted its a used machine they brought over from their subaru shop................. it maybe worn and not reading right! WTF time to try another dealer.