Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-31-2013, 09:47 AM   #43
Kronix
NJ/SoCal HT5 COTW 3/25/12

Drives: 2015 Z06/14 C7/08 Z06/07 Tahoe Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaulnSS View Post
3D Carbon Spats, I like the look and it may have been installer error, but after they were on for a couple weeks, I get a text from my wife with picture attached that says...Ummm.... this doesn't look right. One "spat" was hanging by underneath bolt. Thankfully it happened while sitting in garage. I had my body shop install them.
I purchased more 3M tape, but haven't had the balls to try them again. I am afraid they will come loose while driving and get destroyed. I know others here have them, so I have hope. Just saying if I had to do again, I wouldn't have purchased them.
3dCarbon sends the cheapest grade 3m tape with their kit. Don't even bother using it. 3m makes several grades of their double sided tape, I myself wasn't comfortable using tape to have them hold exactly for the reason what happened to you. The fix, use windshield adhesive, it comes in a caulk like tube and just run a bead down the inside edge where you're supposed to put the tape, those babies will never come off unless you want to take them off.

As far as regrets, I have roughly $65,000 in receipts for mods I've done, and that doesn't include the $40K sticker price. But I did what I wanted to do, create a 1 off SLP ZL car, so my only regret is that I hope I don't take such a huge loss when I sell it.

Built by Late Model Racecraft
Fastest C7 in Tri-State 10.13 @ 134mph
7/26/14 Corvette Challenge Raceway Park, E-Town, NJ
Kronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:55 AM   #44
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
Have you seen this? Might be worth a shot...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226328
Quote:
Originally Posted by soFlo305 View Post
yea i read it but cant get ahold of NH-SS
I bought one of his bushings several months ago. It rocks!!! Tightened my Hurst up really nice. If he's still selling/making them....it's worth every penny!
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:55 AM   #45
mc_acoustic

Drives: 2010 1LT Limited Edition Camaro A6
I bought gill inserts off ebay, havent used them since trying (POS) but got better ones from SLP i believe (They are nice once they are on!)

I bought 5000k bulbs that fit on our cars (Or so I thought) they burnt out one after the other, found out it burnt the whole inside of my headlight casing and had to be replaced, GM replaced them free of charge but it would have been a 800 dollar fix otherwise.

Those bulbs cost me like 120 dollars I think?

Besides that everything has been great so far.
2010 Camaro Synergy Green Edition V6/A6: Cold Air Inductions Intake, Trifecta tune, BBK long tube headers and Hi flow cats, MRT V1, Ported Throttle Body, Stage 4 Ported Intake Manifold (MACE), Black Ice-olator Intake Manifold Spacer, Plenum Spacer, Nytrex Triple Threat Nitrous.
mc_acoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:52 AM   #46
5thGenOwner

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaphappy View Post
I got some gill inserts, I think by SLP if I remember right. They were literally just stickers. I peeled them off right after install.
Me too. I knew they were stickers, but I gave them a shot anyway. It reassured me that I don't like stickers on my vehicles. From a distance and installed correctly, they can look OK... but they are still stickers.

On that note, when I was looking at Camaros, back in 2009, everyone that had rally stripes installed looked terrible. They either had bubbles, or holes, or just poorly installed stripes.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:44 AM   #47
qkslvr

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS M6 NON RS
After building my TA I told myself I would never do that again.. Impulse buys and substituting quality for price only to do it the right way later.. It's so much nicer and cheaper in the long run to except no substitutions

no regrets so far from me but I spent a LONG time researching and planning before I let the mod bug kick in.

Cant stand vinyl anything but wanted pearl white stripes on my ABM. spent 3 months finding the perfect color and way to line it out. Even after figuring out the lines it was at the body shop for other exterior mods and paint for almost 2 months…I bet the body guy and I spent over forty hours trying to get the truck and spoiler line to get just right LOL

Granted 90% of my mods are exterior or appearance so far, tons of research, looking at other cars with similar setups taken alot of time but I wouldn't change any of them.

Now if I could only decide on a set of wheels and a suspension setup LOL
2016 Streetglide (Crushed Ice Pearl)
2018 Indian Scout (Bronze Smoke)
qkslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:49 AM   #48
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Having My engine cover, Fuse Box Hydrocoated. Never did really like them.
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:51 AM   #49
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronix View Post
3dCarbon sends the cheapest grade 3m tape with their kit. Don't even bother using it. 3m makes several grades of their double sided tape, I myself wasn't comfortable using tape to have them hold exactly for the reason what happened to you. The fix, use windshield adhesive, it comes in a caulk like tube and just run a bead down the inside edge where you're supposed to put the tape, those babies will never come off unless you want to take them off.
I agree it's all about the grade of tape/adhesive and good surface prep. I had an interior trim kit on my last car with several pieces in vulnerable areas, and all the pieces held tight and looked good after many years.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:05 PM   #50
JR 1

This isn't much of a mod, but it definitely didn't work out well. Despite buying my Camaro new, it had some scratches around the ignition from test drives. I had my friend mill an aluminum piece to cover up the scratches. I loved the way it looked installed but the car wouldn't start! Apparently the aluminum ring was blocking a signal coming out of the key fob. Go figure.
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2013, 12:28 PM   #51
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

Drives: Like a idiot
Any one try plasti dip on the gills? Seems like it would take some prep time in masking it off but seems like it should turn out well.
o; Slp loud mouth I|maganflow x-pipe|Injen long ram intake
|brembo brake upgrade| russell s.s. lines|2LT polished 19's|billet 5mm spacers|tinted tail lights&markers|pdmi|billet c. can|
'13 Avenger R/T
'77 T/A 6.6;, draining my wallet.
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:39 PM   #52
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I bought a set of the Retro USA 69 style gill trim. Very expensive and cheaply made, the black paint started coming off almost from the first day, when I contacted them they said it was normal wear... I took them off and reinstalled a set of the Emblempros style 2 stainless gill trim and added black pinstripe tape. It looks much better for less than half the price.
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2013, 12:50 PM   #53
soFlo305

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I bought a set of the Retro USA 69 style gill trim. Very expensive and cheaply made, the black paint started coming off almost from the first day, when I contacted them they said it was normal wear... I took them off and reinstalled a set of the Emblempros style 2 stainless gill trim and added black pinstripe tape. It looks much better for less than half the price.
customer service rep: "how can I help you"
you: "the black paint on your gill trim inserts is coming off"
customer service rep: "well sir how long have you had them installed"
you: "3 hours"
customer service rep: "sir this is normal wear for that product in that amount of time, thank you for using our products, bye"
Old 07-31-2013, 12:53 PM   #54
JR 1

Quote:
customer service rep: "sir this is normal wear for that product in that amount of time, thank you for using our products, bye"
Old 07-31-2013, 01:04 PM   #55
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
That's about the way it went down. Ridiculous!
Old 07-31-2013, 01:17 PM   #56
dorfmac
www.macsautodetail.com

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Gen5Diy's dash ABL kit. There is just no way that I can get a consistent light across the wide side of the dash. Just doesn't look right. Luckily, it's cheap so I didn't waste too much.
dorfmac is offline   Reply With Quote