Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-29-2023, 07:45 AM   #1
Baneofcerberus

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Question Front Fender Clearance Issues After Coilover Installation?

As the title suggests, I drive a 2012 SS with the OEM ZL1 rims.

My current front wheel set up is:
20"x10" +23mm offset with 275/40/20R Nitto NT555 G2s

That being said, I got my Pedders XA coilovers installed a few weeks ago with the ride height set at 26" in front and 26.25" in the rear. Since then, I noticed that strips of tire were being cut out of the outer sidewall of my new tires from contacting the fender when I hit bumps while driving in a straight line.

For a short-term fix, I rolled my fenders to get rid of the lip and set my front camber to -2 degrees to increase clearance.

My question is, has anyone else had this problem? My understanding was that the OEM ZL1 rims should clear the fender when at this ride height... I don't want to stay at -2 degrees camber as it is a daily driver and I'm worried that I will chew through tires too quickly.

Please note that the picture was taken before we got the ride height set to 26" and it was still rubbing afterwards at -1 degrees camber without fenders rolled.

Any advice is appreciated!
Attached Images

Baneofcerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 08:06 AM   #2
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
"My understanding was that the OEM ZL1 rims should clear the fender when at this ride height"

Based upon what? I think the answer is self evident that it won't.
gtstorey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 09:24 AM   #3
Baneofcerberus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
"My understanding was that the OEM ZL1 rims should clear the fender when at this ride height"

Based upon what? I think the answer is self evident that it won't.
Seen multiple set ups on lowering springs that appear to be at the same height. It's not like I am the first person to ever lower a camaro with these wheels... Then again, they could be on Factory Replicas with a different offset.
Old 03-29-2023, 12:36 PM   #4
bstromback2002

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
I’m running the same setup on the front also and it does rub a little bit on hard bumps.
The only thing I’m thinking is the zl1 is a 285/35/20 which is roughly 3/ 4 of a inch overall shorter tire but then your going to have the extra width from a wider tire. Is it enough to make the difference that i don’t know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bstromback2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 01:44 PM   #5
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Replied in your other post to this..
Old 03-29-2023, 09:29 PM   #6
bottletalk

Drives: 15 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baneofcerberus View Post
Seen multiple set ups on lowering springs that appear to be at the same height. It's not like I am the first person to ever lower a camaro with these wheels... Then again, they could be on Factory Replicas with a different offset.
increase your compression so you don't blow through your travel. better cheat then driving off camber.
you have adjustable coilovers so no matter what ride height your at you will get full travel(shock stroke), lowering springs make you sag(drop) more into the shock so you get less travel on your shock and you sit where compression starts getting stiffer which mean less travel and the travel that is there is schtiff!
bottletalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 06:24 AM   #7
Baneofcerberus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstromback2002 View Post
I’m running the same setup on the front also and it does rub a little bit on hard bumps.
The only thing I’m thinking is the zl1 is a 285/35/20 which is roughly 3/ 4 of a inch overall shorter tire but then your going to have the extra width from a wider tire. Is it enough to make the difference that i don’t know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just happened upon my exact front tires (except in 275/35/20) on Facebook Marketplace yesterday for $200 and went and grabbed them. Going to run these until they're worn out and see the difference between the two set ups.

Thanks for the info!
Old 03-30-2023, 06:27 AM   #8
Baneofcerberus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottletalk View Post
increase your compression so you don't blow through your travel. better cheat then driving off camber.
you have adjustable coilovers so no matter what ride height your at you will get full travel(shock stroke), lowering springs make you sag(drop) more into the shock so you get less travel on your shock and you sit where compression starts getting stiffer which mean less travel and the travel that is there is schtiff!
Yeah, I will probably increase preload on the shock to increase stiffness. That being said, I didn't realize how much 1 degree of camber changes the set up. I did the math, and on this tire diameter, -1.0 degree of camber creates .2504" of horizontal clearance at the top. Since I rolled my fenders and increased the negative camber at the same time, I might have room to move the camber back closer to -1.5 deg. I will check clearance this weekend.

I appreciate the help!