Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 05-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #1
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
Help with new tune and vararam

Hey fellas I have an odd ball question for you. I installed my vararam today (tune only) and I had a tune put in. Runs great so far. But I have an issue. If I leave with the traction control on (which i like to do and would rather) when it shifts to second (L99 I almost forgot!) it chirps or breaks the tires loose and damn near slams me into the windshield because the traction control comes on. Now, if I disable the traction control, it doesn't do it but spins too much. I'd rather be able to leave the traction control on....can anything be done about it? Should I tone the shifts down? They aren't that harsh really tho. Can I leave with the traction control on and the turn it off after I'm going? Any help is appreciated!
Camarowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
hoffmk2003
The Hof

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro 2SS/RS
What did you touch on the trans tune? Did you play with the shift pressure and shift times? did you remove torque management?

you might need to back off on those parameters a little bit.......

What are you tuning with? do you have a log and your tune? If so post it I'll take a look.

Ken
#6 Bolt on Fast List...best ET 12.01@117 mph
http://www.streetfire.net/video/best...ro_2240734.htm
hoffmk2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:24 PM   #3
Camarowguy

Wow that was quick! Well I had a generic tune done at a local shop. So I have no access to any parameters :( .....kinda hard for me to swallow since I usually do all my tuning, but on this car I don't have the equipment to do it (yet) basically it was a tune that they use on most cars that just have the tune only vararam and not dyno tuned. Eventually I will do that, but for now I could only afford the intake and tune. Maybe I should go back tomorrow and see if they can tone down the 1-2 shift? Or can they disable (maybe partially) the traction control on the 1-2 shift? Thx!
Old 05-03-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
Sounds like the vararam changed the load tables from the MAF which can lower or raise tranny shift pressure. Needs to be looked at and fixed ASAP. With the tranny slamming like you say it could damage the tranny quickly.
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:34 PM   #5
RobertHarriSS

Drives: 2SS/RS M6
I'd go back to the shop that did the tune for you and take the tunner for a ride to show him what it's doing. If he can't fix the tune to your liking it should mean a refund. Then you should look to another shop that can hook you up or a mail order type deal with someone like JRE. Ted would sell you a hand held tuner that has a custom tune preloaded for the mods you have. In the mean time, your car will still run with the vararam, it'll just surge a little at part throttle.
RobertHarriSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
Camarowguy

Well by any means I'm not gonna say the shop did anything wrong. I was actually in a hurry so we didn't get to go for a ride. So it's more my fault than anything for sure. It's not slamming into gear either, it just shifts firm...and feels great...it just breaks the tires loose momentarily and the traction control engages and let's off the throttle and it's un nerving when it does it, cause I'm not controlling that throttle lift at that moment. I'm sure if I tell them what's going on, they will fix it....but what way is the best way that won't slow the car down?
So really I was thinking of a couple choices in the matter:
-live with it and disable the traction control manually before running it
-take away some shift firmness
-if possible, partially disable traction contol upon 1-2 shift
-tell them add some torque management back
So basically I was wondering what would be the best way? Thx!

Last edited by Camarowguy; 05-03-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #7
Camarowguy

So is there a way to disable some of the traction control on the 1-2 shift?
Old 05-04-2011, 12:17 AM   #8
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
WOW

I have a CAI inc. intake and it doesn't break tires loose in 2nd gear, maybe I really need to get a Vararam, also I always turn off my traction control even when it rains, I hate TC. I have no issues and to me the car handles very well with my suspension mods.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:35 AM   #9
Camarowguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
I have a CAI inc. intake and it doesn't break tires loose in 2nd gear, maybe I really need to get a Vararam, also I always turn off my traction control even when it rains, I hate TC. I have no issues and to me the car handles very well with my suspension mods.
Well I bought the tune required vararam. So the place I bought the intake did their generic tune which includes removing some torque management. That's why it breaks the tired loose in second. Overall, it feels like it gets to 80mph as fast as it used to get to 60mph
Old 05-04-2011, 08:11 AM   #10
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
Banging gears like you say is not a good thing in these cars.
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:35 AM   #11
hoffmk2003
The Hof

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarowguy View Post
Well I bought the tune required vararam. So the place I bought the intake did their generic tune which includes removing some torque management. That's why it breaks the tired loose in second. Overall, it feels like it gets to 80mph as fast as it used to get to 60mph
So the "tune only" model vararam is meant for someone who is going to tune their MAF sensor to match the intake.....

Since every car is a little different a generic tune isn't going to cut it. And if they didn't tune the maf then they didn't do the work

Removing TM is not a "tune" for the vararam. I would consider getting your money back and going to slowhawk and getting it tune right if you don't want to do it yourself.

Slohawk is right, having your tranny shifting that firm like that isn't good for it. In the meantime I suggest dropping your rear tire pressure a little bit to get some more traction to prevent it from kicking on the traction control, maybe putting some weight back there. Either that or swap back in your stock intake until you can get the tune fixed.

Ken
#6 Bolt on Fast List...best ET 12.01@117 mph
http://www.streetfire.net/video/best...ro_2240734.htm
hoffmk2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:51 AM   #12
Camarowguy

Look, the tune I got was not a "dyno" tune. It was a tune they use when you only have the vararam. I requested some of the torque management be taken away. They did what I asked. I could not go for a ride yesterday as I was in a hurry and it had just rained on that side of town. Trust me, this is a reputable and well known shop. I won't disclose the name because I have no doubt they will do whatever I ask. I asked for the torque management removal, and that's what I got. However, I wasn't aware it was going to trip the traction control when it shifts to second. No offense guys, but I don't need to get my money back....I just wanted to simply know what would be the better route to tone the shift down some. It's not horrible or "redneck" by any means....it just chirps the tires enough to kick in the traction control. I actually like the way it shifts as I tried it again a couple times this morning. But, I dong like the traction control kicking on. I like my cake and eat it too.....so I want to be able to leave the line with TC on and still chirp the tires when it shifts. So what do I do?
Old 05-04-2011, 09:29 AM   #13
Camarowguy

Btw, I haven't even called them yet. So they have no idea about it yet. I really just wanted to know what to tell my tuner.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:59 AM   #14
Camarowguy

K, just called them. Gonna take care of it no problem. This shop has always taken care of me, no complaints ever. I'm totally happy with how the runs for sure, just like to keep the t/c on cause I'm getting lazy in my old age! Lol.

I'm not familiar on the parameters on this vehicle yet, that's why I was inquiring what I should do or what could be done. I purposely waited to call so I could get some feedback on what to tell my tuner or if this was a common issue with the t/m dialed back. I really didn't receive the kind of feedback I was looking for per se, but I'll get it handled. Ken, I do appreciate the offer to look at the programming, that was super cool of you! I do plan on getting hp tuner or something to that effect here soon and doing my own tuning. But that's a few $$$$ down the road! Thx guys!