Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 09-05-2022, 10:44 AM   #15
Bee

Drives: SS/RS - Rally Yellow
I can't comment on Barton, but I love my MGW shifter. I installed it back in 2011 and haven't missed a gear since.

Their website has an installation video and it looks like they have an option if you want to keep the factory shift knob.

SEPA5 South Eastern Pennsylvania 5th Gen Camaro Club
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 11:18 AM   #16
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
I can't comment on Barton, but I love my MGW shifter. I installed it back in 2011 and haven't missed a gear since.

Their website has an installation video and it looks like they have an option if you want to keep the factory shift knob.
Yes they do have that option. I have white retro knob and shaft that easily unscrews to put the OEM shaft and suede knob back in.
OEM knob not included.
Attached Images

SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 12:08 PM   #17
Joe.G

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 6SP Ashen Grey
I like the look of the Flat stick, I don't mind the stick shifter I just wish I had a little more confidence in shifting to third especially on the down shift. I do like the notchiness a kit of the Hurst short in my third Gen.
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Hotckis 1" Springs & Chassis Max Brace
BMR Adjustable Swaybars,Trailing Arms, Adjustable Toe Rod, LCA & Z28 UCA Bushings Hendrix Solid Cradle Bushings
Pedders Radius Rod Inserts Strut tower brace
Hero Smoked Tail and 3rd Brake Light, Diode Dynamic SL1 Fog Lights
AeroForce Dual gauge/Autometer pillar mount.
Joe.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 01:54 PM   #18
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 STROKER 383
Maybe I'm asking stupidly... But what's so worldly about MGW or Barton?
I have a completely stock 2009 SS shifter and it seems absolutely perfect compared to European standards

What's the difference???

K&N CAI, Stainless Power longtubes, high flow cats, modified Ragazzon High Performance axle back, Soler Performance ported throttle body, Soler Performance throttle controller, RAM clutch adjuster, modified LS7 clutch kit, Tick Performance billet bearing support, Tick Performance remote bleeder, separate clutch reservoir, BMR trailing arms, BMR toe rods, Pedders Suspension cradle bushing inserts, Control Arm Bushings, Strut tower brace, oil catch can, Hurst T-handle shifter, 20mm wheel spacers, DBA brakes, QTP Cutouts, Dynosteve tune.
George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 01:58 PM   #19
Joe.G

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 6SP Ashen Grey
Tighter more precise shifts, shorter throws if you never tried a quality shifter you really need to. The results are well worth the swap. Now the short throw OEM in my 14? isn't the worst shifter in the world but I am sure the Barton or MGW is an improvement.
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Hotckis 1" Springs & Chassis Max Brace
BMR Adjustable Swaybars,Trailing Arms, Adjustable Toe Rod, LCA & Z28 UCA Bushings Hendrix Solid Cradle Bushings
Pedders Radius Rod Inserts Strut tower brace
Hero Smoked Tail and 3rd Brake Light, Diode Dynamic SL1 Fog Lights
AeroForce Dual gauge/Autometer pillar mount.
Joe.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 02:24 PM   #20
George-CZ

If given the chance, I'd definitely like to try Barton/MGW/HURST. But when you already meet 5 gen. Camaro, so it's either all OEM or automatic.

But in my opinion and according to what I learned in engineering high school, with shorter travel, you lose feel in handling the transmission, more stress is placed on the sync rings, and with a tight range, you lose feel for precision.

Maybe I'm wrong because I didn't have the chance to experience it personally. But I see only disadvantages in it.

K&N CAI, Stainless Power longtubes, high flow cats, modified Ragazzon High Performance axle back, Soler Performance ported throttle body, Soler Performance throttle controller, RAM clutch adjuster, modified LS7 clutch kit, Tick Performance billet bearing support, Tick Performance remote bleeder, separate clutch reservoir, BMR trailing arms, BMR toe rods, Pedders Suspension cradle bushing inserts, Control Arm Bushings, Strut tower brace, oil catch can, Hurst T-handle shifter, 20mm wheel spacers, DBA brakes, QTP Cutouts, Dynosteve tune.
Old 09-05-2022, 03:06 PM   #21
Bee

Drives: SS/RS - Rally Yellow
Hey George...it's not shorter front to back, it is a shorter throw left to right. The best way to describe the feeling of a short-throw is when you shift from say 2nd to 3rd...the stock shifter goes from:

-------------------|
|----------

where a short throw would be more like:

---------|
|----

SEPA5 South Eastern Pennsylvania 5th Gen Camaro Club
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 03:08 PM   #22
SIM GhostrdrZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by George-CZ View Post
If given the chance, I'd definitely like to try Barton/MGW/HURST. But when you already meet 5 gen. Camaro, so it's either all OEM or automatic.

But in my opinion and according to what I learned in engineering high school, with shorter travel, you lose feel in handling the transmission, more stress is placed on the sync rings, and with a tight range, you lose feel for precision.

Maybe I'm wrong because I didn't have the chance to experience it personally. But I see only disadvantages in it.
So my old 56 truck with the 3ft shifter handle and sloppy feel has the advantage over my poor ole 14 Z28 mgw tight short shifter?

The stock shifters did improve throughout the 5th gen years. They really aren’t terrible relative speaking. But I replaced my OEM Z28 shifter with the mgw and enjoy it just a bit more. So when I got my ZL1 I replaced it as well and I enjoy that even more so. Is it worth the $? Most likely other mods worth more than a shifter and if there’s shifter/clutch issues, it’s probably the master or slave issue rather than shifter. So to each there own and when my synchro rings go out because of my shifter, I’ll post pics on the forum.

Enjoy rowing thru the gears
Old 09-05-2022, 03:26 PM   #23
George-CZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
Hey George...it's not shorter front to back, it is a shorter throw left to right. The best way to describe the feeling of a short-throw is when you shift from say 2nd to 3rd...the stock shifter goes from:

-------------------|
|----------

where a short throw would be more like:

---------|
|----
As I wrote... I can't really imagine it in practice but personal experience would probably reveal more.
But it is true that I was not satisfied with the OEM SS knob, which when I replaced it with a T-handle, it works (for me) much better and more precisely.

Old 09-05-2022, 03:56 PM   #24
George-CZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM GhostrdrZ View Post
So my old 56 truck with the 3ft shifter handle and sloppy feel has the advantage over my poor ole 14 Z28 mgw tight short shifter?

The stock shifters did improve throughout the 5th gen years. They really aren’t terrible relative speaking. But I replaced my OEM Z28 shifter with the mgw and enjoy it just a bit more. So when I got my ZL1 I replaced it as well and I enjoy that even more so. Is it worth the $? Most likely other mods worth more than a shifter and if there’s shifter/clutch issues, it’s probably the master or slave issue rather than shifter. So to each there own and when my synchro rings go out because of my shifter, I’ll post pics on the forum.

Enjoy rowing thru the gears
As far as I know, there was no mention of your '56 truck.
I am talking about the Camaro 2010 SS shifter.
Compare comparables.

I grew up on manual transmissions of various types and sizes, actively raced and until now I drive as a professional driver in a company with a large fleet where 98% of cars are manual and until recently with a few cars without synchronization. I don't have the slightest problem with manuals and their operation.

And in my profession, I do not drive as Miss Daisy driver.

Name:  20191023_173314.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  295.1 KB

Name:  IMG-20200716-WA0000.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  203.8 KB

Name:  DSCF0006.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  178.2 KB

No need for sarcasm.

Old 09-05-2022, 04:49 PM   #25
SIM GhostrdrZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by George-CZ View Post
As far as I know, there was no mention of your '56 truck.
I am talking about the Camaro 2010 SS shifter.
Compare comparables.

I grew up on manual transmissions of various types and sizes, actively raced and until now I drive as a professional driver in a company with a large fleet where 98% of cars are manual and until recently with a few cars without synchronization. I don't have the slightest problem with manuals and their operation.

And in my profession, I do not drive as Miss Daisy driver.

Attachment 1108064

Attachment 1108065

Attachment 1108066

No need for sarcasm.
Didn’t mean to hurt your feelings, Sir. My apologizes.
I was just making light and I’m sure you’re an awesome driver. Just more parts to put into our Camaros that aren’t really needed but fun to mod, just because.

Now the woke are killing sarcasm? Great, nothings left.
Old 09-06-2022, 03:38 AM   #26
George-CZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM GhostrdrZ View Post
Didn’t mean to hurt your feelings, Sir. My apologizes.
I was just making light and I’m sure you’re an awesome driver. Just more parts to put into our Camaros that aren’t really needed but fun to mod, just because.

Now the woke are killing sarcasm? Great, nothings left.
All fine and all good. Nothing happened
I really like the MGW shifter.
In appearance, it is a beautiful piece of engineering art.

I'm just trying to rationally justify buying it, when the current gearing seems absolutely perfect and very accurate.
I am trying to find out how it was possible to "improve the perfect" and compare the possible advantages and disadvantages that came to my mind from experience.

Old 09-06-2022, 09:13 AM   #27
DavidH

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I went MGW flat stock and EPCO custom knob. Pricey, but I Love every bit of it. Granted my stock 117k mile shifter was wore out. It was night and day difference, shifts are extremely precise. Can't comment on the Barton as I have not used one personally.
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 10:18 PM   #28
Risingson05

Drives: 2015 zl1 m6
I’ve got mgw shifter without flat stick and kept stock shifter knob ..

It’s hard to tell a diff between the zl1 shifter and the mgw as before I installed the mgw , it was about 9 months before I drove it as my car was down for the winter getting its build done . I can tell you tho , this shift are precise and the 2-3 shift is phenomenal, you can bang gears pretty quick with it ..

Other than being a PIA to install , I’m glad I did it , as I was use to a short shifter as that what has been in my stick vehicles in the past ..

I also remember thinking that the stock zl1 shifter wasn’t that bad too