Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 08-05-2020, 08:08 PM   #1
Pearlj10

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT
DI Fuel Pump pressure drop , etc.

Hey folks,
I recently installed my Overkill Stage 1 supercharger on my 2011 LLT. I did a few email tune logs/revisions with Will but wasn’t feeling the power consistently so I went to a local tuner (Arizona Elite Motorsports) for dyno tune. Tuner (“Dr. Bill”) said that my DI pump was dropping from 1800 psi to 800 psi at 6100 rpm and also that I was getting spark blow out in the high 5k rpms. Tuner recommended a booster pump in the trunk and to decrease spark plug gap from .032” to .026-.028” gap.

I sent the logs to Will and he noticed the tune was running rich at the low rpms, just right at 4500-5000 rpm, and rich again after that. He said running rich at high rpms would cause a drop in DI fuel pump psi.

Local tuner says it’s something much more than running rich and the pump correcting fuel pressure for it. He’s firm on a lack of adequate fuel at high (relative to my setup) boost (9.5 lbs). He’s confident that reducing plug gap will fix blowout issue. At 6k rpm, tune was making 362 rwhp.

Any suggestions on this conflicting information I’m getting are much appreciated.

Thanks!
Chris

Last edited by Pearlj10; 08-05-2020 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Typo
Pearlj10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:48 PM   #2
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
I'm not usually a huge Will Overkill fan but he is one of the best when it comes to these DI V6 platforms and his response seems plausible. Did Will send you a new tune to load and see if it helps?
Old 08-06-2020, 09:17 PM   #3
Pearlj10

Will did send a revised tune and I'm still seeing the serious fuel pressure drop. I did three hard throttles today and it happened each time, albeit at slightly different rpms between 5600 or so and 7000. Looks like I can't post the data log/hpl file on the forum (?).
Old 08-07-2020, 10:40 AM   #4
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlj10 View Post
Hey folks,
I recently installed my Overkill Stage 1 supercharger on my 2011 LLT. I did a few email tune logs/revisions with Will but wasn’t feeling the power consistently so I went to a local tuner (Arizona Elite Motorsports) for dyno tune. Tuner (“Dr. Bill”) said that my DI pump was dropping from 1800 psi to 800 psi at 6100 rpm and also that I was getting spark blow out in the high 5k rpms. Tuner recommended a booster pump in the trunk and to decrease spark plug gap from .032” to .026-.028” gap.

I sent the logs to Will and he noticed the tune was running rich at the low rpms, just right at 4500-5000 rpm, and rich again after that. He said running rich at high rpms would cause a drop in DI fuel pump psi.

Local tuner says it’s something much more than running rich and the pump correcting fuel pressure for it. He’s firm on a lack of adequate fuel at high (relative to my setup) boost (9.5 lbs). He’s confident that reducing plug gap will fix blowout issue. At 6k rpm, tune was making 362 rwhp.

Any suggestions on this conflicting information I’m getting are much appreciated.

Thanks!
Chris
It is true that if the Lambda is lower than .82 or what ever is commanded the fuel demand is higher yes fuel pressure will drop.

When High side pressure drops injectors open longer, well past the time limit of 6 milliseconds that is what will cause misfire this has nothing to do with plug gap.

A quick look at Low side pressure, High side pressure and injector opening time tells us everything we need to know.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:47 AM   #5
tlavoie87
Built Not Bought

Drives: 2010 Twin Turbo LFX
send me an email i have run the overkill supercharger on my LLT and tuned myself before converting entire driveline to LFX and dElphi .. i can tell you right now the bosch ecu has COT tables thats we can ot access causing a rich condition.. depending on your boost level the HPFP will be good to about 400WHP.. also with the bosch if you command more than 2250 at the HPFP the ecu does not like it .. again been downthis road many times hence why i went to delphi.. now twin turbo 500+ WHP

"Built Not Bought!'

Sponsors:
OverKill Motorsports
tlavoie87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 04:18 PM   #6
Pearlj10

PM sent. Thanks!
Old 05-16-2021, 10:10 AM   #7
LuckySave

Drives: Gen5LFXfi
Fuel system voltage helps with fuel pressure

Hello all, I would like to offer up another possible solution for pressure drop. Specifically for the HP Tuners platform on my LFX. I'm not sure what else this will work on at this point. In the tune software under the system tab there is a table for fuel system voltage vs Intake air temp. My table was set to 11.5v. Increasing the voltage similar to the setup In the ZL1, I set my voltage to 14.4v across the board, but in the higher range, another tuner has confirmed that increasing the voltage was beneficial up to 16v. I did notice a much steadier and better fuel supply for the forced air application.
LuckySave is offline   Reply With Quote