Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 05-01-2021, 12:09 PM   #1
Coz3z3

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2015 1LE
Oil Cooler

Has anyone done an update to a different cooler plate? Like the one improved racing sells.
https://www.improvedracing.com/low-p...s-engines.html

I was going to have this done on my 1LE before I bought the Z. One reason for it is it’s thermostatically controlled and not more or less the warmer as people say. Another reason is it has the provision for a sensor. The last reason I’m considering it again, is it opens up more options for headers. I have always been a huge fan of Stainless Works and their quality. I was able to chat with a rep at LSFest and he said that cooler is the only thing in the way of using their headers. I like American racing headers but stainless works is a little cheaper.
Just curious on your thoughts

Thanks!
Coz3z3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:23 PM   #2
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
I've got the -116 unit on my LS3 powered C5 Z06 for the Accusump connection. The temp sensor is the factory unit. Clears my LG 1-7/8" headers fairly well. If I was going to do a remote cooler for my Z/28 I'd probably go with the set-up you mentioned unless somebody steered me in a different direction.
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2021, 12:12 AM   #3
Coz3z3

Did you install it? Was it easy? How is it holding up? Any leaks? Recommend? Yeah I would tie it into the existing oil cooler. Run the AN lines to it. Not necessarily a new external one. Doesn’t get that hot at the track and I feel like doing some bigger AN lines might help with flow and temp as it is.
Looks great though as it is! Thanks for the reply!
Old 05-02-2021, 07:05 AM   #4
ronchev

Drives: 14' Red Z/28 #336
I have the Improved cooler kit on mine with the thermostat but on the Z its not a direct bolt on with the forward mounted cooling fan in front of the radiator. I had decided to mount my cooler low in the opening under the crash bar instead of on top like there kit is designed for and bought a used crash bar to modify for this. The kit is pricy but very well made and very nice and would be a direct bolt in on a ZL1 SS or 1LE but with the forward fan on the Z not as easy to fit cooler in as a bolt in. They also sell the thermostat, hoses etc separate on there sight to make up your own cooler.

For what its worth I went with ARH headers because they fit the Z very nice without issues at all, I have 2 sets of the 2" and both fit just like they should, I did a lot of research on these back when I was looking to buy headers and fit was what I was concerned about, also read good things about Kooks but can't speak on them or the cheaper version out there. If your not in a hurry sometime used sets pop up for sale at a little better price....Good Luck
ronchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:49 AM   #5
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coz3z3 View Post
Did you install it? Was it easy? How is it holding up? Any leaks? Recommend? Yeah I would tie it into the existing oil cooler. Run the AN lines to it. Not necessarily a new external one. Doesn’t get that hot at the track and I feel like doing some bigger AN lines might help with flow and temp as it is.
Looks great though as it is! Thanks for the reply!
I stumbled upon this vehicle already built so everything was installed previously. No leaks and on our Zs it would be an excellent addition to place a sensor for real (not calculated) oil temp. I just completed a semi-aggressive track day and my highest oil temp was 269 degrees with ambient temps approaching 100. No cooler on the Vette yet. I'm glad RON chimed in above as I remembered someone had a nice setup I just couldn't recall which forum member. What temps are you seeing? If you're not doing any type of real aggressive track days the OEM should suffice but if you're a "heavy hitter" you might want to duplicate RON's install.
Old 05-02-2021, 12:33 PM   #6
Coz3z3

So I wouldn’t get an external oil cooler. I would use the same stock one. I think it is suffice for what I do. My main thing was the oil temp sensor and thermostat. Like Arizona said, I would love to have a sensor that isn’t calculated. I always read that it is more of an oil warmer as well. So having the thermostat and existing stock cooler, I feel would be perfect. I have researched the headers and American racing does great work. I have personally purchased a few sets from stainless works and they’re quality is top notch as well I feel. As long as you go with works and not power lol. It just got me thinking after talking with the rep because I did want to do that on the 1LE because it didn’t have an oil cooler like the Z does. So it brought up the idea again. And I don’t like kooks design with the ball and socket ends, I feel those come loose a lot. Thanks for your inputs! Really appreciate them!
Old 05-03-2021, 07:25 AM   #7
ronchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
I stumbled upon this vehicle already built so everything was installed previously. No leaks and on our Zs it would be an excellent addition to place a sensor for real (not calculated) oil temp. I just completed a semi-aggressive track day and my highest oil temp was 269 degrees with ambient temps approaching 100. No cooler on the Vette yet. I'm glad RON chimed in above as I remembered someone had a nice setup I just couldn't recall which forum member. What temps are you seeing? If you're not doing any type of real aggressive track days the OEM should suffice but if you're a "heavy hitter" you might want to duplicate RON's install.
I never did make it out to a track day event last year with everything that was going on but only one autocross and thats no where close to a real test on oil temps.
The year before I Ran a SCCA time trails event at Putman Park and had to really manage the oil temps on the stock oil cooler with the couculated temps from the ECU that I logged but was seeing temps over 300 degrees like that so being not sure if the temps are real or not I new I needed to make a change and added the cooler plus a stand alone gauge. Plans are to get out soon this year and find out how this shakes out. I have heads and cam bolt ons so it will make more heat over a more stock engine plus I push it but can't see any reason why this won't improve things, at least I will know actual oil temps.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:43 AM   #8
Coz3z3

Yeah I’m curious how much of a difference it will make for you too. I think the hottest I have seen it is about 280 on a hot day of about 90-95. I also run 15w50 and the 1LE always ran hotter and I had to do what you do and monitor temps. So this is a much improvement over that. I think running that thermostat in the line, real oil temp, and bigger AN lines to the cooler will do it fine. If not, then I could look at doing an external.
Old 05-03-2021, 01:06 PM   #9
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Ron, Since you haven't made it to the track I'm curious if you've gone out for a few "therapy" runs and made note of the difference between the OEM calculation and the aftermarket gauge. It would be interesting to know if it's just a few degrees or a fairly large, constant percentage.
Old 05-03-2021, 01:07 PM   #10
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
I did an Improved cooler, their big dual pass.

I had to remove my OE stacked plate cooler because my AFE/Pfadt headers were compromising it. Two leaks in a few months. I looked into all of the Improved cooler plates similar to the one pictured in post #2. I felt I would not have adequate clearance to the headers.

What I used was a Mishimoto non thermostatic oil filter sandwich plate. From there the oil goes to a 205* Improved remote thermostat and then to the MHX-245 cooler. I used -10 lines.

My last track day with ambients in the lower 80s, I had max oil temps of 215* which is perfect. On the street, the oil temp stabilizes at 205*.

I mounted the cooler low in front of the radiator with some custom ducting. I also notched the bumper bar. Check out my build thread for some pics
Old 05-04-2021, 07:43 AM   #11
ronchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
Ron, Since you haven't made it to the track I'm curious if you've gone out for a few "therapy" runs and made note of the difference between the OEM calculation and the aftermarket gauge. It would be interesting to know if it's just a few degrees or a fairly large, constant percentage.
Yes I have logged that a couple times and temps were close but really not a lot different than before the change, with the thermostat it takes a bit for the cooler to open on the street so most the time it stays closed and bypassed. As you know its very hard to run your car on the street like you do on a track, no comparison really at all and running it full out for 20 minutes on the street is pretty much impossible so the test will have to wait till I do get to the track to see the real difference. I really don't see the actual oil temps I was seeing real at 300 that I logged before without other problems but its hard telling without the new data yet and I am hoping the the results between the 2 are a decent percentage different, I did read others that have did this in the past have seen a large range difference under these conditions with these cars, all the research I did before the change to mines shows the the factory water to oil cooler just does not work that well for very long and tends to heat the oil vs cool it....we shall see
Old 05-04-2021, 10:41 AM   #12
Coz3z3

A lot of good information. Thanks everyone. Ron, did you go with the improved racing part that I posted? What thermostat degree did you get? I am assuming the 212 is best?
Old 05-05-2021, 06:48 AM   #13
ronchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coz3z3 View Post
A lot of good information. Thanks everyone. Ron, did you go with the improved racing part that I posted? What thermostat degree did you get? I am assuming the 212 is best?
Yes I went with the complete 5th gen kit from Improved Racing with the 200 degree thermostat even tho I changed up the mounting some it is over all a very well made kit. Like said earlier you can buy parts from them individually from there web sight and get only what you need or build your own or add what you want such as the thermostat
Old 05-05-2021, 09:25 PM   #14
Coz3z3

Awesome, I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks for the info and hope to hear from you about your results in differences as well!