Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 12-04-2018, 05:12 PM   #1
Psmarc76

Drives: 13 zl1
Static, loss of volume

I have a 13’ ZL1 and my question is,
Whenever I plug my phone in to charge it I lose volume and signal strength for the radio. I have a radar detector hard wired in and a dual input adapter which I plug into the lighter near the shifter. I leave the cords for my iPhone and my sons android plugged into it but as soon as I plug my phone in I can barely hear the radio station and it loses substantial frequency strength.
I’m not sure if this is something common or if it’s been answered previously so I apologize if that’s the case. I tried searching the forums but was unable to find any matches
Psmarc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:17 PM   #2
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmarc76 View Post

Whenever I plug my phone in to charge it I lose volume and signal strength for the radio. I have a radar detector hard wired in and a dual input adapter which I plug into the lighter near the shifter. I leave the cords for my iPhone and my sons android plugged into it but as soon as I plug my phone in I can barely hear the radio station and it loses substantial frequency strength.

I’m not sure if this is something common or if it’s been answered previously so I apologize if that’s the case. I tried searching the forums but was unable to find any matches

Can I ask if your using a cigarette adapter to charge the phones? Maybe it’s interfering with the signal? If so, what are the chances it’s one of those FM modulator devices to stream your phone to your radio?
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:52 PM   #3
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Interferance. Probably a really bad quality charger, or you have a ground issue.
•Speed Engineering Longtube Headers w/ Magnaflow HF Cats
•Bo White PnP Stage 2 TB
•GPI SS2 VVT Cam w Cometic thin gaskets 10.69 compression
•Xpipe w/ Res Delete and NPP Exhaust
•Tuned By Anonymous Calibrations
•Gen5DIY Mylink Conversion W/ Backup Cam
•Morel 3 way custom speakers, Infinity 860w Subwoofers in trunk baffle
•Helix P6 6ch amp w/ 8ch DSP and P1 Sub amp
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:10 AM   #4
Psmarc76

I’ll try swapping out adapters and see what happens and let you know. I’m pretty sure it’s always happened though, but I’ve had this one in for so long I can’t remember. I know if I put a charger of any kind in the center console it also does it. If it is a bad ground I’m assuming you mean with the radio unit and not the cigarette lighter receptacles? Electrical issues are not my thing and I learned long ago to know my limitations
Old 12-05-2018, 04:29 AM   #5
45thCamaro

Static, loss of volume

Quote:
I’ll try swapping out adapters and see what happens and let you know. I’m pretty sure it’s always happened though, but I’ve had this one in for so long I can’t remember. I know if I put a charger of any kind in the center console it also does it. If it is a bad ground I’m assuming you mean with the radio unit and not the cigarette lighter receptacles? Electrical issues are not my thing and I learned long ago to know my limitations

Why are you not using the factory USB port in the center console?
Old 12-07-2018, 11:26 AM   #6
Psmarc76

I don’t use the one in the center console because the cord ends up tangled up in all the other shit I stuff in there so when I pull it out,papers and whatnot ends up failing out and I hate digging anything out from under or next to the seat
Old 12-07-2018, 12:54 PM   #7
45thCamaro

Quote:
I don’t use the one in the center console because the cord ends up tangled up in all the other shit I stuff in there so when I pull it out,papers and whatnot ends up failing out and I hate digging anything out from under or next to the seat

You should use that port, it’s straight into the radio. It charges and will allow you to play music. Just plug it in and leave it hanging out. Anything else is probably going to give you problems.