Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 03-30-2016, 12:23 PM   #15
seandogg80

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2ss manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocautomotive View Post
Wow, that's a pretty bad noise. Mine sounds nothing like that, especially if I'm above 50 mph. Is it your car?
seandogg80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:26 PM   #16
seandogg80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin383 View Post
I'm not sure that what the OP is describing is actually the DI ticking. For one, my SS is much quieter than the 2015 LT I had before the SS, and what DI ticking I do hear from the SS I sure don't hear at 2500 rpm as the OP described in his second post. Could be a lifter or something else if your hearing it while underway!

As a point of interest, I did read an article about the engineers burying as much of the fuel system as possible under the intake manifold in the valley between the cylinder banks in an attempt to muffle some of the DI noise!
How about when you're driving around 20-40 mph and you release the gas petal during deceleration around 1.5-2.5k rpm. Do you hear it then? I don't hear it when I'm accelerating too often.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:13 PM   #17
Blazin383

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by seandogg80 View Post
How about when you're driving around 20-40 mph and you release the gas petal during deceleration around 1.5-2.5k rpm. Do you hear it then? I don't hear it when I'm accelerating too often.
I've never really even heard the DI tick without the hood open. Drove me crazy on my 15 LT. That's one thing I was grateful for when I checked out the Gen6 SS. So in answer to your question, no, I never notice the ticking from inside the car.
Blazin383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:01 PM   #18
sboden

Drives: 16 Mosaic Black 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
Did you have the v6 or 2.0t? I think the V6 in 2013 had direct injection. It probably had the same ticking sound just not as loud. I did a quick search and can see a bunch of posts of folks asking about ticking noise at idle. The GC could of also just had better sound deadening to minimize the effect of the injector ticking.

At higher speed the injectors are firing faster to supply fuel so they create a different audio frequency. When you coast or idle they slow and then our ears/brains and process the mechanical ticking sound. It is annoying but you typically start to become less sensitive to it over time.

The manual transmissions have an annoying rattle when at idle when the clutch is engaged. It is normal but annoying. Over time you get somewhat used to it.
Coming from the noisy manual transmission of a 370Z, I didn't even notice a rattle in the Camaro lol.
2016 Mosaic Blk 2SS 6sp with Adrenaline Red interior, Red knee pads, Dual mode exhaust, 20" low gloss 5 spokes, River City Creations Bow Ties, nav and a lot of fun - Previous car 09 Nissan 370Z sport/tour 6sp
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/album.php?albumid=18420
sboden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:01 PM   #19
ocautomotive

Drives: 2017 ZL1 and 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
The noise in that video is louder than in real life. Go on a flat road, set cruise control to 52mph and drive in third and your car will sound like mine. The noise you deacribe is exactly what i have, the video makes it seem really loud.
ocautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:40 AM   #20
seandogg80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocautomotive View Post
The noise in that video is louder than in real life. Go on a flat road, set cruise control to 52mph and drive in third and your car will sound like mine. The noise you deacribe is exactly what i have, the video makes it seem really loud.
I'm going to try it out today. Did you get it fixed?
Old 03-31-2016, 01:57 AM   #21
seandogg80

Question

I went to the dealership today to test out another car to see if I would hear the same noise. Sure enough, the one I test drove was making the same ticking sound at low rpm...so I'm going to give GM the benefit of the doubt for now.

As an FYI, this is my second gen 6 Camaro. The first one's differential had issues the second day I owned the car. GM ended up replacing it for me. Hopefully this one lasts and has no issues.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:05 AM   #22
seandogg80

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
Did you have the v6 or 2.0t? I think the V6 in 2013 had direct injection. It probably had the same ticking sound just not as loud. I did a quick search and can see a bunch of posts of folks asking about ticking noise at idle. The GC could of also just had better sound deadening to minimize the effect of the injector ticking.

At higher speed the injectors are firing faster to supply fuel so they create a different audio frequency. When you coast or idle they slow and then our ears/brains and process the mechanical ticking sound. It is annoying but you typically start to become less sensitive to it over time.

The manual transmissions have an annoying rattle when at idle when the clutch is engaged. It is normal but annoying. Over time you get somewhat used to it.
Does your RS make the same sound?
Old 03-31-2016, 10:00 AM   #23
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Does your RS make the same sound?
v6 the same except for 2 less cylinders so it's just a shade quieter....

it is what it is...get used to it or sell the car....LOL
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:33 PM   #24
seandogg80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
v6 the same except for 2 less cylinders so it's just a shade quieter....

it is what it is...get used to it or sell the car....LOL
LOL, I hear ya man. It's annoying when I'm in traffic and shifting between 1st and 2nd gear... That's when the ticking happens the most.

Around what rpm's do you usually hear the sound?
Old 03-31-2016, 10:25 PM   #25
seandogg80

Quote:
Originally Posted by sboden View Post
Coming from the noisy manual transmission of a 370Z, I didn't even notice a rattle in the Camaro lol.
That's a sweet looking ss, my friend!

When you are driving under 40mph between 1.52-2.5 rpm, do you notice the ticking sound under deceleration? - when your in traffic shifting between 1st, 2nd,and third gears?
Old 04-01-2016, 03:16 AM   #26
seandogg80

Exclamation

Hello all,
I am currently driving my second, yes 2nd 2016 2ss manual. The first car I bought had really bad issues with the differential making noise and a loud pop from the rear end of the car at every acceleration. Penske was nice enough to replace it with another one, since it had less than 200 miles and was on its third day of ownership.

I have a new 2016 2ss 6M with around 800 miles on it. When the car is decelerating or accelerating "slowly" around 1.5-3k rpm, there is a loud ticking noise - sounds like a sewing machine gone bad. I noticed it for 2 straight hours while driving in lovely Los Angeles traffic today while using gears 1 - 3 and it drove me crazy. I posted a thread about this a couple of days ago, and most people were stating that it's coming from the high psi direct injectors. I'm posting this for the first time on the "problems section" so hopefully I can get some more advise before going back to the dealer.

If you have a manual SS, can you please let me know how much ticking or knocking sound you hear? I am trying to not be paranoid; however, I am being anal about the sound due to the bad taste the first one left in my mouth. Thank you in advance!
Old 04-01-2016, 03:30 AM   #27
BigNorm4Life

Drives: 2013 Ford Fusion SE
Quote:
Hello all,
I am currently driving my second, yes 2nd 2016 2ss manual. The first car I bought had really bad issues with the differential making noise and a loud pop from the rear end of the car at every acceleration. Penske was nice enough to replace it with another one, since it had less than 200 miles and was on its third day of ownership.

I have a new 2016 2ss 6M with around 800 miles on it. When the car is decelerating or accelerating "slowly" around 1.5-3k rpm, there is a loud ticking noise - sounds like a sewing machine gone bad. I noticed it for 2 straight hours while driving in lovely Los Angeles traffic today while using gears 1 - 3 and it drove me crazy. I posted a thread about this a couple of days ago, and most people were stating that it's coming from the high psi direct injectors. I'm posting this for the first time on the "problems section" so hopefully I can get some more advise before going back to the dealer.

If you have a manual SS, can you please let me know how much ticking or knocking sound you hear? I am trying to not be paranoid; however, I am being anal about the sound due to the bad taste the first one left in my mouth. Thank you in advance!
That really sounds like the DI and the injectors... You should hear my Fusion at idle lol... Sound like a damn cummins

Just keep driving it Ike Normal and change the oil at 1k-1.5k miles
BigNorm4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 05:43 AM   #28
bobshannon22

Drives: 2016 camaro 1ss
I was in the same boat bro. Just the sounds a DI motor makes. With headers it's a little louder.
I feel fine with it

Tags
engine noise, engine ticking, engine ticking noise, misfire, rattle