Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-24-2012, 09:02 AM   #15
Pgoldston

Drives: 1999 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
No need for THEIR objectives.
So use a piston that is close to its limit, to limit the end user?
I know the cost of the piston is cheaper but when looking at this car along with the warranty work that will come in on it why use a piston that is "weak". I would figure using a stronger piston would negate the cost in the long run, especially since they did say they would warranty track day issues (if that really happens). Maybe it will hold up much better than what I anticipate it, I hope so
Pgoldston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:23 AM   #16
BNSF E9

Drives: 2014 Race Red Shelby
I don't think there are any issues with the ZL1. The vehicle will do everything GM has engineered it to do. However, the wait is due to a release for late Spring, early Summer to coincide with the release of the 2013 Mustang.

Just my 2 cents.....
BNSF E9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #17
2L82RUN

Drives: ABM SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCanSS View Post
No way. The regular SS can take WAY more than the factory provides. With all the upgrades this supposed ZL1 has... it can take a 70 HP bump no sweat.

You can gain that on an SS with the full bolt ons and a tune and the car is perfectly happy. Stuff doesnt start breaking until you get insane... like doubling the HP to the 600+ mark to the tires... its easily done but you better have deep pockets.

My baseline was ~350 and I at 415 to the tires right now... so 65 rwhp bump and I havent broken anything (because of the power) and the car feels perfect.

They could pulley down the sc, retune the car and get 620/630 no problem. They would just have to reevaluate the longevity of the car. Things aren't simple in big business. Sure, you or I can soop up our cars no problem and if it only lasts 10,000 miles, thats on us... GM has to build these cars to last.

I suggest eveyone who had to be first just sit back and wait out the storm. I am sure the cars will get delivered soon enough. After the HP nut punt GM took, I HOPE that they wont let the GT500 hit the streets first.

You think I'm insane??!!
2L82RUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #18
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgoldston View Post
So use a piston that is close to its limit, to limit the end user?
I know the cost of the piston is cheaper but when looking at this car along with the warranty work that will come in on it why use a piston that is "weak". I would figure using a stronger piston would negate the cost in the long run, especially since they did say they would warranty track day issues (if that really happens). Maybe it will hold up much better than what I anticipate it, I hope so

Are stock CTS-V's having piston problems?

No.

Guess they picked the right ones.

Read up on the development of the CTS-V. That will detail much more about the component selections for the LSA.

If someone is going to mod an engine way above it's stock hp anyway... it's going to need to come apart for a full custom build anyway. Really doesn't matter what stock parts it has, those were intended for the stock hp level.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #19
Pgoldston

Actually the CTS-V can only raise the boost a few psi before getting into the danger area. When you look at the Ford counterpart which does use forged pistons you can raise the boost alot more. Case and point my 2003 Cobra has never had the valve cover off of it and it is making more than 650hp. Several people have gone alot further than me. I love the ZL1 styling, the suspension, tech that is in the car I just feel that the internals should have matched the rest of level ten in the car. This is not to start a ford chevy war or anything, its the basics of any engine. If they use a different style of hyper piston great.

Yes the Hyper piston has some advantages in the expansion rate is less than forged pistons and can run a tighter clearance but they are not as tough as forged pistons. Just my personal opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Are stock CTS-V's having piston problems?

No.

Guess they picked the right ones.

Read up on the development of the CTS-V. That will detail much more about the component selections for the LSA.

If someone is going to mod an engine way above it's stock hp anyway... it's going to need to come apart for a full custom build anyway. Really doesn't matter what stock parts it has, those were intended for the stock hp level.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #20
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Sorry Im bored, tired sore and about 6 beers into the night right now it all makes since.
Patrick...are you feeling better, this AM?

Hope so...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #21
Pgoldston

Yeah I feel perfect right now, still sore been working on to many projects all at once. Just finished up a supercharger 4runner, trying to finish my turbo mustang and fixing frames on a couple mini bikes
Old 03-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #22
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
I doubt the Lsa will have any more power. They would do a ls9 because it has the internals to handle more boost and have a factory warranty. Lsa can handle more power but at around the 700 p mark they can go boom.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #23
29er

Drives: 14 1LE Garage King
pretty shure that the hold is due to electronics.. this system is new & all the rest has been proven on other cars --cts-v, vette-- they ain't "boosting" the engine they planned it that way 580hp ..if they wanted to tune it for a small boost i'm shure it would had been done rapidely and cars would be rolling out..

gm won't tell they ought us nothing the cars are theirs so..

imagine if we would be a ferrari forum and we 'd be waiting on 599's or ? for years --we all know the waiting list is long over there--and then they stop production for some god knows what..ferrari will never tell us what was the problenm even if we spit 200k's for their rides...

i just sympatize with you guys that waits for the ZL-1. like fbod say be patient..

when you'll turn that key who'll soon forget all about it as soon as the smokes cleared!!!

>>meaning doing a nice burn out getting out from the dealer..LOL<<<
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #24
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
1. Don't forget that the engine has piston cooling nozzles which effectively allows the hypers to perform well into forged territory.
2. The drivetrain in the ZL1 will handle in excess of 650 hp. No problem. My guess is 800 hp easy.
3. They already tweaked the ZL1 from 565 to 580 since introduction, so another 20 hp may be just as easy, and there would really be no reason to even tell anybody or re-certify anything. Manufacturers must be allowed a + or - on their power figures. And, as proven in the past, I think they can report up or down the scale simply by chaging at what rpm they quote the hp numbers.
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #25
NicKey

Drives: Nickey Super Camaro
I have been patiently waiting for my ZL1 too, as have many friends and customers.

There is absolutely no reason why the ZL1 shouldn't be the ultimate Factory Super Car on all levels, in it's price point.
NicKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #26
Pgoldston

The wife already gave me permission to leave the dealership sideways!!! permission being its her car with her money.

The wait for me doesnt really matter to me because I know we will get one. Shes hell bent on getting one.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #27
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
I still want to know why forged pistons where not used in the engine

This question is easy they did not need it. at stock power and RPM levels it is not required. People would like to have forged because they could add more power with just boost. everyone want to buy the car can then crank the boost up to 15-18psi. well you can't do that with the stock internals but it doesn not mean there is a quality issue at stock power level.

Hypereutectic is lighter and harder.

if you notice in the LS9 when the added forged pistons they also compensated the wieght by running titainum rods.

me personally I would rather have an LS9 than LSA but the funny flip side to that is it might make the car 65,000 in which case I proabably could not affoard it. notice how a 2013GT500 with the track pack and PP is 6,000 more than a ZL-1. that is a net gain of 4,700 even taking into acount the GG. so forged engin is nice but not free. Even ford guys spout off about how cheap forged part are but the motor in the GT500 will be $22k+ which is not cheap at all.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #28
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNSF E9 View Post
I don't think there are any issues with the ZL1. The vehicle will do everything GM has engineered it to do. However, the wait is due to a release for late Spring, early Summer to coincide with the release of the 2013 Mustang.

Just my 2 cents.....
Sorry mate, 2013 Mustangs are already on dealer lots. Perhaps you were just referring to the GT500?

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote