Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #15
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
Rod1 has a V6 camaro that does the 1/4 in less than 12 seconds which means it will beat the King ZL1's 12.3 stock time, just sayin
Old 03-25-2012, 08:12 PM   #16
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I'll chime in here for a bit....

As a V6 owner, I think all Camaros are cool...and maybe its cuz I'm sorta looking up to them in a way....to put it another way I have respect! I don't get jealous because this other guy owns an SS.

But I don't think all Camaro owners are cool. I can appreciate someone who takes an SS and makes it into a ZL1 killer, as much or moreso than the guy that just bought the ZL1. I also have a huge amount of respect and admiration for the guy who leave their V6 or SS stock performance-wise but makes it looks completely their own....a show stopper type of car.

To me, in the end, no matter what I think we should show an appreciation for the work the other guy has put into their vehicle...V6, SS, or ZL1. At the beginning, the V6 platform had nothing for performance mods...but now things have really come a long ways...and we still don't have remotely the kind of backing the SS does. But there are guys getting it done, and being pioneers for us.

V6 mustang owners are VERY close to pushing into the 12s N/A, and we are hoping for very low 13, or some hero run 12.99 this year because of some of the new tech that has happened over the winter months.

I love my car and what I'm making it into...I'd not trade it for an ole SS straight up.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #17
hairtrigger

Drives: 69 Chevelle SS396 2013 ZL1
I think LS's are cool. I don't look down on anyone who enjoys doing their thing as much as I enjoy doing my thing. I admire them.
My stable includes
Yamaha R1
Mercedes AMG
900 ft/lbs Silverado Duramax
69 Chevelle
125 Shifter Karts
and I have met a lot of enthusiasts in all of them.
There is always someone better than you so I like to treat with respect and humility.
There are some true losers out there too, so feel free to laugh at them at will.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #18
IcePick06

Drives: '12 AGM ZL1 (SOLD); '07 Ducati 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Gixxer1000 View Post
While I don’t have many posts on here, I am here quite a bit reading and watching.

As you might have guessed from my user name I am a motorcycle guy first and foremost. But I am also one of the 480 of us who have a ZL1 build and waiting. I’m #310

A replacement for my 2010 SS/RS which is already gone to its new home :(

But I wonder am I now a ZL1 snob? In the motorcycle world it is VERY click-ie. The sport bike guys stay with the sport bike guys; Harley riders hate everyone but their own, metric cruisers secretly want to be Harley riders, GoldWing riders are a different bread altogether with their cup holders, reverse gears and cigarette liters! Dirt bikers are different than quad riders and so on.

But within each one of these different groups are a seemingly endless subculture of even more separation.

Dirt bikers who ride motocross don’t like the dirt bikers that ride desert or trail ride. The trail riders don’t like the supercross riders and so on.

Sport bike riders who road race don’t like stunters, stunters don’t like the Hayabusa crowd, and those riders don’t like this one and so on, and so on. :fighting0040:

All of that is preference to riding style, I get it. But even within these subcultures the bike you chose to ride is a factor. If you ride a GSXR1000 that is like driving a ZL1. It is a top of the line high performance machine. (Regardless if those reading this like the GSXR1000 or not, it cannot be denied it is a performance leader. As is the ZX10, CBR1000 or R1 respectively

SO! What does this have to do with cars and the ZL1?

While all of the above mentioned bikes are top performance machines from there respective manufactures. Unlike cars, there are not really any different trim packaged or levels to the bikes. It basically goes like this; here is the bike for this year. You can pick between two, maybe three colors. That’s is. Not to omit the fact that there are sub-categories such and engine size etc, but that is different point.

How this relates to cars is:

A base model Camaro. A strip down basic nothing. Steel rims with a v-6 auto. The kind you would rent from Dollar rent-a-car. As a ZL1 owner do you look down on that car/driver? Maybe even just a little bit in the back of your mind? What about the SS series? Now that the ZL1 is top dog… why not? Why wouldn’t you?

It is not being rude. Let me explain. In motorcycles if you ride a GSXR1000 or R1 etc. you own one of the best of the best. If a guy pulls up on a 250 Ninja (equal to a base/base Camaro) it is still a sport bike. So you are still friendly (see original subculture dynamic above) but you kind of look at his bike like. “Dude… WHY?” He is a nice enough guy etc. just with a less than desirable bike compared to yours.

But then a group of Harleys or some metric cruisers show up and you and the 250 Ninja guy are like long lost brothers! The bond of your sport bike group is greater than that of your subculture. Just as if a metric cruisers showed up and you two were the only bikes around, the umbrella of motorcycling would trump the individual subculture. Except Harleys because as previously mentioned…. They hate everybody but their own regardless. =)

I am sure like most of us while out driving we see the Gen 5 Camaro’s and look to see what it is… “Oh that’s a SS/RS” or “hey that a v-6 because of…”

I always looked for the SS cars because they are in my “group” But even now when I look I think. “Dude that SS is nothing compared to the ZL1”. That’s not to say I don’t appreciate or enjoy their car but now with a new king of the road. Have the others all moved down a notch?

Maybe this makes me sound like a jerk. I just was wondering if anyone else now looked at the SS the way they once looked at the V-6. All still Camaro but within this Camaro subculture – I believe just like in bikes – there is a prejudice. Or am I wrong and all Camaro guys love one another equally?

Your thoughts?

Disclaimer: no disrespect intended to any motorcycle group or subculture. Or to V-6 owners

Well as a sportbike guy first and foremost and one who does numerous trackdays (see my avatar) and as one who has a ZL1 on order ( #80) I dont consider myself a snob. I RIDE. A DUCATI too, arguably the pinnacle of sportbikes in terms of technology prestige and championship heritage and I respect the stunters, the Japanese sportbike owners and even the Harley guys. I think any true enthusiast like myself will feel the same way. At the end of the day it's all love. I LIKE BIKES AND CARS...end of story
IcePick06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #19
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
Well, my thoughts are that I don't like those that divide into groups.

I ride dirt, cruiser and sport bike. It's funny too watch the young people come into the groups that inevitably form around these. They don't even realize that why they choose to follow one or the other. Has more to do with influences than what kinda bike. We are human and we naturally divide into groups. It's more fun to hang with all types. Extreme, motocross, trail, endurance, track, drag, stunters... I ride with them all and I enjoy them all... the people.
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #20
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
I think you're overthinking this.

Camaros owners normally only snob Mustang owners.
And us Mustang owners used to feel bad for the C5 Camaro crowd, with their movie star ride that was almost but not quite a cool Muscle Car. But you'll get no more pity and thrown races from us trying to keep you guys happy. With the ZL1, the gauntlet has been thrown. Now you'll get the respect you craved for so long.

Kidding! Just pulled my car out of storage today and I'm so happy I'm practically giddy. Can't wait to see more 'Stangs, Challengers and Camaros of all types on the road. I'd have to say the bulk of Mustang folk I know are just car people. If its fast, cool or significant, we like it!!!

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #21
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

PS. I used to ride a Radian 600. Not even sure what sub culture that fell into...

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Old 03-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #22
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
When you are a trophy husband from tangent Oregon you can't help but be a snob. It must be something in the water around hear. My cars are faster, my goats are better looking, my eyebrow is perfectly waxed. Don't hate me because I am bueatiful and have a zl1 on order ha ha.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #23
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Two thoughts... If a ZL1 owner looks down on me.... all they'll see at a race track is dust off my tires, smoke from the exhaust and my tailights getting really small really quickly....

Secondly, I ride a Harley and I don't hate any two wheeler riders...

Let me explain... I perfectly understand the cultures, but I don't buy into it.... I can't control what others do, only how I respond to it.... I've had guys purposely look the other way at interesctions when I pull up next to them on their scooter and me on my Ultra Classic, out of embarrasement or whatever... only to have them break into a really big grin when they finally look over and see me wave or give them a nod... I'm not an angel by any means, but why should I look down upon anyone...I lived from paycheck to paycheck and qualified for food stamps though I never got them or used any assistance like that... and that was while working as a professional fire fighter...

Enjoy what you have and allow others the same...

I like car guys and gals. I don't care if they are Mustang's or even ricers if they respect the car, the work that others do and are proud.

I have had Camaro's, Corvette's, Fiat's, Jeeps, Pickup trucks and a Harley Road Glide. I always wave to people I think enjoy the hobby and not themselves. Anyone that puts their heart and soul into their rides is good by me. As long as they respect others the same way.
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:14 PM   #24
TORKED

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I can keep up with a ZL1 just fine after my performance mods. I would never buy a V6 muscle car myself, but don't hold anything against those folks. I'd like to hang with ZL1 owners if at a show or track, but if they got dickish...my response would be "piss off."
TORKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #25
SGTMiller278CAV
Silver Surfer

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS M6
Kinda silly to think that because you drive a Z, you are now the king of the camaros, or feel LS, LT, SS are sub par. If someone needs to feel all warm and fuzzy inside by thinking someone in a LS is not as good as you, then they have issues. Whether you drive an LS, LT, SS, ZL1 only one thing matters, it still says Camaro on the side. We cannot start hating each other when we have the Mustang itching to bite us in the ass.
SLP Loudmouth 1 Exhaust / Magnaflow Resonated X pipe / 22 Inch AAC Dynamic Scanner / Reverse Rally Stripes / LS badges (emblempros.com) / Gill Decals / Flat Black SS Rims / SS Rear Diffuser / Flat Black Spoiler / Heritage Grill / Custom Painted Tail Light Bezels / Custom Painted Engine Cover / Plati Dipped Trunk Lid

SGTMiller278CAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #26
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTMiller278CAV View Post
Kinda silly to think that because you drive a Z, you are now the king of the camaros, or feel LS, LT, SS are sub par. If someone needs to feel all warm and fuzzy inside by thinking someone in a LS is not as good as you, then they have issues. Whether you drive an LS, LT, SS, ZL1 only one thing matters, it still says Camaro on the side. We cannot start hating each other when we have the Mustang itching to bite us in the ass.
Yuck. No thanks, we'll pass. ;-)

Old 03-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #27
brian-nicola

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I like everybody, wife has a 2011 ss convert, I have a CTSv (gave up on the Zl1 wait) and a Harley!
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #28
s1000rr

Drives: 2010 SS
I don't think the ZL1 owners look down on other folks. I do look down on your Gixxer as my S1000rr is way better though.

Just messin with you....
s1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote