Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 11-03-2016, 09:17 PM   #155
djcolopi

Drives: @orange_maro
Just made my deposit for the LFX forged rods from JacFab. I also recently contacted GPI about the 6L50E and what they did to continue my research on solving the transmission problem and Aaron emailed back. I will be talking with him tomorrow afternoon about the transmission and a very interesting proposal he offered me.

'Daniel, that’s a big question. I currently own the car we built for Derrek and the trans has thrown up again. I am looking at retro fitting a 6L80 and have done some preliminary work. It’s going to be a project. The best way I have found is to cut both bell housings in two, mill appropriately and weld them back together. After that the rest should be gravy. Trent’s seems to be hanging in there pretty good so I have been considering taking one more stab at getting this 6L50 to live thru a few passes. Hey, here is an idea, you trade me engines and give me $4000 and you get my forged hand built GPI engine and Vacumn pump crankcase ventilation system. I will put your stock engine assuming it is in good shape in my car, sell my turbos, fix the trans, and punt this thing. Call me if you have any interest. This is a nice engine.'

'Custom coated gas ported pistons with a low drag ring package and coated pins, R+R racing billet connecting rods. $1800 alone. Blueprinted the block, precision balance. 10.1 compression. Cleaned up the valve job. See no reason to jack with the heads and cams when we have 2 turbos and nearly infinite electronic control of valve events. May be some gains on the exhaust side of the integrated head but I haven’t been ambitious enough to work on it when I can click 5 numbers on the boost control and make more power than the driveline will tolerate anyway. We custom built a Moroso vacuum pump and crankcase vent system which is driven from the water pump pulley and has adjustability. We also designed a plate between the intake and the heads which has direct port nozzles I use for meth injection. You can have that system also.
Trent’s trans is stock except the tune and circle D triple disc. It felt great when we tuned it and is still hanging in there. I also have a circle D single disc which you are welcome to for an additional $350.00 as well. Foot stalls about 3K flashes about 3600 on 20 PSI. I would also work you a deal on the Forgestar wheels with nearly new Micky Thompson street ETs on the rear and Nittos on the front if you wanted something for the track.'

Should I transplant Gretchens heart into Inferno and go on from there or build my current engine?
Old 11-04-2016, 07:41 PM   #156
djcolopi

I talked to Aaron from GPI this afternoon for 30 minutes. Great guy with a lot of information to share. We discussed possible solutions for the transmission and some other supporting modifications. I then contacted tech support from B&M and went over their trans coolers and what would work best with my setup.

It seems that I will be going with a B&M trans cooler, ss axles, 3.45 gears and getting re-tuned very soon. I will be going into JE this Tuesday to get some measurements taken and see if we can mount up the trans cooler above the intercooler. If not then we will be going with a rear mount.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:32 AM   #157
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcolopi View Post
.....................Should I transplant Gretchens heart into Inferno and go on from there or build my current engine?
REGARDLESS of what you decide. My little piece of advice is to have things perfect when you are done, The price of having a well built durable bottom end, or long block for that matter, that is built right, and with everything you want in it, is worth the piece of mind, and in the end cheaper than having to do it twice.

If you know for a fact that what you can buy from his build is everything you want and more, not to mention it saves you a good amount of cash, Then its worth doing, IMO.

However if you can get the same caliber of work done, or better, and get things just the way you want them, with a shop or engine builder that will stand by their work, even if its more money may be the way to go. Lets face it sh!t happens. Things go wrong, even the best make mistakes. Having a reputable engine builder do your work means 90 percent of the time they will stand by their workmanship.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:00 PM   #158
djcolopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KillerSS View Post
REGARDLESS of what you decide. My little piece of advice is to have things perfect when you are done, The price of having a well built durable bottom end, or long block for that matter, that is built right, and with everything you want in it, is worth the piece of mind, and in the end cheaper than having to do it twice.

If you know for a fact that what you can buy from his build is everything you want and more, not to mention it saves you a good amount of cash, Then its worth doing, IMO.

However if you can get the same caliber of work done, or better, and get things just the way you want them, with a shop or engine builder that will stand by their work, even if its more money may be the way to go. Lets face it sh!t happens. Things go wrong, even the best make mistakes. Having a reputable engine builder do your work means 90 percent of the time they will stand by their workmanship.
Thanks for your input, it is greatly appreciated especially with your experience on your own build
Old 11-07-2016, 07:28 PM   #159
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Love all you have done. Congrats in COTW.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:35 PM   #160
djcolopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
Love all you have done. Congrats in COTW.
Thank you! I appreciate it
Old 11-08-2016, 06:47 AM   #161
DOC52
THE U

Drives: Camaro 1SS/RS
GPI FTW. I'd do it . Congrats on COTW.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:36 AM   #162
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
Going with GPI would save you a lot of hassle and sounds like a lot of money too. If you're not doing your own work I would probably jump on that deal from Aaron.
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:13 PM   #163
djcolopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JantzenOKC View Post
Going with GPI would save you a lot of hassle and sounds like a lot of money too. If you're not doing your own work I would probably jump on that deal from Aaron.
Still a lot of money either way and I already made the deposit for the forged rods with Jason from JacFab.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:15 PM   #164
djcolopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony3222 View Post
Damn mate!! I have a 2012 LS automatic too and I did not plan to boost it hp. You have inspired me mate!! An automatic doubling its hp and torque is crazy and I like the black spoiler . Thanks man.
No problem man! Thanks for the kind words and good luck on your build. If you have any questions, you can always post it up on my build thread or send me a pm. You also have a lot of other guys in the LFX/LLT community that are doing big things and have a lot of knowledge on our platform.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:59 PM   #165
djcolopi

Over the past few weeks, I have had some misfiring occurring, especially during cold starts. So I just ordered new spark plugs; Denso (5340) ITV22 Iridium. They are 1 step colder than the stock spark plugs and they were recommended to me by another boosted LFX owner.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:26 PM   #166
Bagheera_thecamaro
BAGHEERA

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT
The V6 I want to be when I grow up... <3
LOL So awesome to watch your build man!!

Bagheera_thecamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 07:28 AM   #167
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Congrats on COTW and Home Page article!!!
Old 11-19-2016, 08:21 AM   #168
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Congrats on COTW and Home Page article!!!
Ditto!

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote