Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-12-2020, 04:15 PM   #1
pwssycamaro

Drives: Chevy Camaro Ls
Fading on window trim

Ive read many many options to try and restore the fading window trim. The thing is I dont have the sort of money to buy all the products to find which one works. So if anybody has had luck on bringing back the fading color, please let me know. Also what to use/do to keep the trim from fading again.

P.S. I tried the heating gun method and I guess the glue melted off. What glue do I use to stick it back?
Attached Images

pwssycamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:17 AM   #2
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
The window trim on my 2012 looked like yours, and now looks like this.

I couldn't find a dressing that would do much more than mask the look for several days at best.
The car's a year round daily driver and is outside 24/7/365. I restored them when I detailed the car between Christmas and New Years last year and they still look the same now 4 1/2 months later.

Scrub the trim with an All Purpose Cleaner/Degreaser, or Tire & Rubber Cleaner
Use a small brush like Adam's Mini Cockpit Brush or a Fingernail brush
Get the trim thoroughly, and completely dry.
Wipe down with Adam's Surface Prep or Isopropyl alcohol
Apply Adam's Black Ceramic Trim Restore
I'd Ceramic Coated the car during the detail job and applied the Ceramic Paint Coating over top of the Ceramic Black Trim Restore. I'd have to assume this has helped, but not sure if it was really necessary.

The adhesive? I'm not sure if it is a glue or a double stick tape. Unless someone else chimes in that knows, you may need to completely remove the trim to see what's on it. If it's glue I'd use 3M Adhesive that can be purchased at almost any auto parts store, comes in an aerosol can. If it's a double stick tape; don't use the thicker emblem tape, it'd be too thick and have the trim no longer flush with the body.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:48 PM   #3
VChula
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 1996 Z28 SS & 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwssycamaro View Post
Ive read many many options to try and restore the fading window trim. The thing is I dont have the sort of money to buy all the products to find which one works. So if anybody has had luck on bringing back the fading color, please let me know. Also what to use/do to keep the trim from fading again.

P.S. I tried the heating gun method and I guess the glue melted off. What glue do I use to stick it back?
The adhesive is 1/16 inch thick x 1/2 inch wide double sided tape, the same the grey/black tape that is sold in auto parts stores.
The the tape piece on the spare quarter windows I have was cut 1/2 inch square, but could stand to be longer (maybe 1 inch).
When you peel the molding corner back, you will see that there is a pocket that properly locates the tape.
1996 Camaro Z28 SS #1688
2014 Camaro ZL1 Coupe #1956
VChula is offline   Reply With Quote