Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 11-13-2011, 08:10 AM   #1
10forty2

Drives: 1992 Chevy K5 Blazer
Aftermarket Tuners

Is there such an animal available? If not, I'm surprised that someone has not developed it. What I'm referring to is like a Power Commander for a motorcycle. It's a device that fits between the ECM and the fuel injectors to modify the injection pulse timing without changing the factory ECM settings. On my Harley, I can create custom maps on the fly, depending on what modifications I make. If I open up the exhaust and intake, I can add more fuel to compensate and get more power. If I change cams, or increase displacement by increasing piston/jugs and/or stroking the engine, I can modify the fuel map, rev limiter, ignition table, etc.....just like a custom tune, but not changing the factory ECM's programming. Whenever I want to revert back to factory settings, I can simply unplug the unit and all OEM settings are still in place.

Seems like a good way to make performance modifications without changing factory settings and risking a warranty void.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:41 AM   #2
SWAT

Drives: 2011 2SS RS L99
They do exist. This is a unit that takes info from the mass airflow sensor, modifies it & sends it to the computer. All of these perameters can be adjusted. Some people call them adjustable MAF. I know that they have been big with the turbo GN crowd. They make them for LT1 & LS1s. That's all I know about them though, If I say anything else, I will be talking out of my ass. Check it out.http://www.maftpro.com/faq.shtml
SWAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:52 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
they do exist....but what can be achieved is limited, you are way better off taking your car to a REAL Tuner.