Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-23-2012, 03:29 AM   #1
camarozzzz

Drives: Blue
Stabilitrak

This is quite random and hard to replicate but sometimes when I start my car the dash will say in the middle where I have all of the options "Service Stabilitrak" then it will quickly disappear and the normal dash appears. This does not occur often but it does occur now and then.

What exactly does this mean??? Is something seriously wrong or in need of servicing? What is stabili trak?
camarozzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:36 AM   #2
Brutal SS

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarozzzz View Post
This is quite random and hard to replicate but sometimes when I start my car the dash will say in the middle where I have all of the options "Service Stabilitrak" then it will quickly disappear and the normal dash appears. This does not occur often but it does occur now and then.

What exactly does this mean??? Is something seriously wrong or in need of servicing? What is stabili trak?
Do you have any mods?
Old 05-23-2012, 03:38 AM   #3
camarozzzz

No my car i stock, I got it second hand and the previous owner did no modding to the engine either.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:39 AM   #4
camarozzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro22 View Post
"Electronic Stability Control"
I would assume this is quite necessary. Any idea why it says for me to service it? Yet then vanishes from the dash and does not come up everytime.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:50 AM   #5
Brutal SS

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Read this thread, particularly the #53 post. It has a PDF attachment that should help you! I hope this helps. Keep us posted!

http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread...+error+message

Last edited by Brutal SS; 05-23-2012 at 04:04 AM.
Brutal SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:03 AM   #6
Atlas
Would you kindly...

Drives: Destitute
Happens when you start the car right? Try this, insert the key and turn the ignition all the way to start the car and hold it there until the engine fires up - I.E. The normal way most cars are started. Then turn the engine off, and start the car again, this time turning the key to ignition once to engage the starter (not holding it in position as you would a normal startup) then letting it snap back on its own I.E. The position of the key after the engine has started. Chevy has a system where you can turn the key once, and not hold it at the start position, and the starter will continue to turn on its own without the input from the key until the engine fires up. Often, this system will generate a false positive on the DIC, with the message, "service stabilitrak." if this is the case, then there is nothing to worry about. It happens to mine all the time if I chose to start the car in that manner.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:20 AM   #7
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Happens when you start the car right? Try this, insert the key and turn the ignition all the way to start the car and hold it there until the engine fires up - I.E. The normal way most cars are started. Then turn the engine off, and start the car again, this time turning the key to ignition once to engage the starter (not holding it in position as you would a normal startup) then letting it snap back on its own I.E. The position of the key after the engine has started. Chevy has a system where you can turn the key once, and not hold it at the start position, and the starter will continue to turn on its own without the input from the key until the engine fires up. Often, this system will generate a false positive on the DIC, with the message, "service stabilitrak." if this is the case, then there is nothing to worry about. It happens to mine all the time if I chose to start the car in that manner.
YES this is totally correct.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:16 AM   #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarozzzz View Post

Stabilitrak uses a series of vehicle sensors that monitor various inputs, including wheel speed, steering wheel angle, lateral acceleration (sideways forces) and yaw (rotational movement) rate. If the system determines that the vehicle is not following the path being steered by the driver, it applies brake pressure to one or more wheels in order to gain traction and guide the vehicle back on course. Engine power may also be reduced, if necessary.

If it displays service stabilitrak, the best thing to do is to get the issue diagnosed at your dealership. I hope this information was helpful.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #9
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Stabilitrak uses a series of vehicle sensors that monitor various inputs, including wheel speed, steering wheel angle, lateral acceleration (sideways forces) and yaw (rotational movement) rate. If the system determines that the vehicle is not following the path being steered by the driver, it applies brake pressure to one or more wheels in order to gain traction and guide the vehicle back on course. Engine power may also be reduced, if necessary.

If it displays service stabilitrak, the best thing to do is to get the issue diagnosed at your dealership. I hope this information was helpful.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service

This is not in the case of it just flashing at start... it's a normal occurrence with the system checking itself when you start the car, as stated above. There are multiple threads about this.

If it comes on, and stays on during normal driving then this applies.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #10
Alarick

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS
There is actually a TSB about the false "Service Stabilitrak" light.

It's a sensor that needs to be reprogrammed to stop the false positive from happening.
If it annoys you, bring it up the next time you're in the dealership.
Alarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:18 PM   #11
06blownSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
My "Service Stabilitrak" message has popped up for a third time (first time this year). Last year this happened and the dealership replaced a sensor. I took it off the lot and it popped up again, turned right around. Waited another day and the problem went away only to come back this year! Back to the dealer tomorrow....this is SO frustrating.
Black on Black on Black 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3;K&N intake, Dynatech 1 7/8 catted LTs, Borla S Cat Back, Eibach prokit, Pfadt rear trailing arms, ZL-1 driveline, BTR Stage III Cam, Tuned by Performance Redline 444.1whp & 442.9 ft-lb
06blownSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:05 AM   #12
camarozzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I believe that you sir have hit the nail right on the head! I have not tried this yet, but thinking back to the half a dozen times where it has happened this seems to have been the situation I was exactly in! Thank you very much! This is one less thing I now have to worry about when I sleep
Old 05-24-2012, 05:08 AM   #13
camarozzzz

Thank you everyone for all tips/ input! freaking loving the helpfulness of this foruum!
Old 06-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #14
wabibito

Drives: 2013 2SS RS
Anyone find the solution for this yet? My car is at the dealer now and they said nothing wrong with the car. I got the error popup for sometimes 20 mins while I am driving. This is the third time in two days it popped up. How could there is nothing wrong with the car when the error shows while you drive for a long distance? Thanks.
wabibito is offline   Reply With Quote