Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Drives: S.I.M. SS
Ford Shelby GT500 v Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 : Street and Circuit.

The two muscle-motors of the moment, head-to-head. Hard to imagine a factory warranted Mustang with 670hp, or a State-subsidised 580hp Camaro!

*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
**Result**: 465rwhp/ 447rwtq. Satisfied.
Mr CLuTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
I guess all the ZL1 Guys will have to go get them a Mustang now.
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
Bob Cosby

Drives: 2010 Vette
I thought it was a pretty good review. He obviously believes the ZL1 is more sophisticated, better ride, easier to drive. And he said he ran 2 seconds faster on the road course.

At the same time, he was grinning ear to ear while driving the GT500 - especially around the track.

To quote my buddy LOWDOWN.... Pro Tour VS Pro Street.
Bob Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #4
Monsterpost
Banned

Drives: 2010 Dodge Charger Police
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cosby View Post
I thought it was a pretty good review. He obviously believes the ZL1 is more sophisticated, better ride, easier to drive. And he said he ran 2 seconds faster on the road course.

At the same time, he was grinning ear to ear while driving the GT500 - especially around the track.

To quote my buddy LOWDOWN.... Pro Tour VS Pro Street.
My take as well. The track looked like it was very short and lots of corners; something the zl1 should excel at. Pick your car and have fun.
Monsterpost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
evolve

Drives: 03 Cobra
Good review imo. Both great cars!
evolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:19 AM   #6
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
It's all about the smiles per miles, I think the last EPA rating was 1,107 to 1,106.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
eolson
eolson

Drives: 2006 premium Package Mustang GT cou
Well after reading the major car magazine comparisons, The GT500 had every bit as fast of times on the road courses, so I guess LoWDown still likes pulling minor articles that are bias towards the ZL1. Yes it is more sophisticated, yes it is easier to drive, yes it feels more like you're in control, but it is not faster on road courses.

Even with 57%/43% weight ratio, fixed axel, thinner tires, and a lot less electronic ride assistance, the car is very fast for a sports coupe, just like the ZL1 is.

So next year the ZL1 will get more power, and the GT500 will get brake ducting, and they will be put neck and neck again. The after market has already provided the ZL1 with more power, and also has already provided the GT500 with no fade breaking solutions, much better suspension, and wider tires, so it's really up to GM and Ford to adjust to what is already being easily improved on with these cars. Erik
2006 Prem Pkg Mustang GT coupe. Saleen SC,10psi, 454rwhp,442rwtq, Complete Steeda/H&R, suspension change out, with weight loss, Techco Watts link, Stoptech big brakes, Race clutch, Alum. flywheel, Alum 1 pc driveshaft, 9x18,10x18 chrome bullit wheels, 285/40/18,255/45/18 nitto 555 tires. 3545 lbs currently. New car scent air freshener.
eolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #8
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
I guess the lucky owners of GT500s and ZL-1s have something to worry about...Ford...Chevy...Ford...Chevy.

I thought it was a stupid rivalry 25 years ago when I was 15. Hardly anyone plays at the level of the best from either maker.

I'd own either car in a heartbeat, but I do think Ford took some styling miscues on the lastest gen Mustang. Last gen was awesome, Frank Bullit -esque. This gen is OK but I think the car lost a lot of visual grace. The Zl-1 is too damn heavy