Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-24-2016, 10:51 AM   #1
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Swapping Starter

Hey folks, hope you're all doing well.

In the last couple of weeks, I've noticed that my car was having a hard time starting. The engine cranks just fine, power is there and once up and running it idles perfectly. But the start is a bit lazy.

I bought a new battery and have been checking the voltage readings and the voltage seems to be steady. I was still having this problem...

The more I read about this problem on this forum, the more I'm starting to think its the starter.

I just ordered this one from JEGS:

Powermaster 3631 - Powermaster Stock Style Performance Starters

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1500x1500.

Does anyone have any experience using this brand?

How difficult is it to swap it out myself? Labor involved?

Thanks for the feedback.
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:07 AM   #2
xnuyokr

Drives: 2012 1LT Drop Top
Why are you just guessing and replacing parts? Starter/alternator/battery? Post a video of the start, check voltage when running, when turned off.........
Old 08-24-2016, 11:09 AM   #3
jeff657756

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE
I think I read that a few guys just had grounding issues and it fixed their starting problems. I would check that before buying a starter.
jeff657756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:19 AM   #4
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Think about it

If the engine "cranks just fine", you are describing a starter motor that is by your own description operating correctly.

How did you make the conclusion that the starter is to blame?

It seems to me that your starter is cranking the engine as normal but the engine fails to "catch" and start easily. If so, this is not a starter problem. Nor is it a battery issue.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:23 AM   #5
Spec
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Think about it

If the engine "cranks just fine", you are describing a starter motor that is by your own description operating correctly.

How did you make the conclusion that the starter is to blame?
Okay, so maybe I worded that wrong... the engine turns fine is what I meant, but the 'crank is slow'... semantics I guess.

I came to this conclusion after making sure it wasn't the battery, and I did check the wiring to the battery etc.

What else could it be? If it were the alternator, I'd be having battery charging issues and this is not the case. The battery is holding just fine when the car is on at 14.4V. I'll get a vid and post it.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:28 AM   #6
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
So the starter motor is turning slowly? That's very different.

No codes? No loose battery cables at both ends, including ground? No snapping, clicking, or popping electrical sounds?

yeah, might be the starter.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:37 AM   #7
Spec
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnuyokr View Post
Why are you just guessing and replacing parts? Starter/alternator/battery? Post a video of the start, check voltage when running, when turned off.........

I'm not guessing. Its been a process of elimination. Here's the vid, it cranks slower when the car's been driven for a while:

Old 08-24-2016, 11:41 AM   #8
Spec
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
So the starter motor is turning slowly? That's very different.

No codes? No loose battery cables at both ends, including ground? No snapping, clicking, or popping electrical sounds?

yeah, might be the starter.

Yeah, no snapping, clicking, or popping...

Thanks for the feedback so far. Just wondering now if I got a good starter with this Powermaster.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:48 AM   #9
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
save your money! I had the same issue and thought it was my battery...replaced that and it fixed nothing. Then I thought itd be the starter getting heat soaked and not working properly so I replaced that with a mini starter and that only fixed it for a couple weeks.

REPLACE YOUR GROUND CABLE TO THE BATTERY!!!!!!

do this before doing anything else. and then problem solve from there. I got a 2G cable from O'Riley and the problem has been fixed. If you want to be 100% certain, go order a 0G cable.
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:53 AM   #10
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE
sounds normal to me..
drew peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:58 AM   #11
Spec
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew peacock View Post
sounds normal to me..
The first startup sounds slower and the second sounded more or less normal I guess. The car's been parked and sitting since 6am today (about 4hrs)... so it was a cold start. I can tell you that after a good 1-2hr drive, a stop for gas or something for a few minutes... the next startup is very slow and it definitely struggles. It is borderline between starting and not wanting to start.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:01 PM   #12
Spec
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytown87 View Post
save your money! I had the same issue and thought it was my battery...replaced that and it fixed nothing. Then I thought itd be the starter getting heat soaked and not working properly so I replaced that with a mini starter and that only fixed it for a couple weeks.

REPLACE YOUR GROUND CABLE TO THE BATTERY!!!!!!

do this before doing anything else. and then problem solve from there. I got a 2G cable from O'Riley and the problem has been fixed. If you want to be 100% certain, go order a 0G cable.
My work's mechanic also thinks its the starter so I'm going to keep the order. Getting a new starter wouldn't hurt. I will also replace the ground cabling... thanks for your thoughts.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:01 PM   #13
Existential Lad
Banned

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (BLACK/GRND FX)
Have the same prob. this is the code i got. not sure if thats the fix since ive been procrastinating.
I have way more important projects under my belt atm.
Attached Images

Existential Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:22 PM   #14
Spec
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Existential Lad View Post
Have the same prob. this is the code i got. not sure if thats the fix since ive been procrastinating.
I have way more important projects under my belt atm.
I'm not getting any codes, though... just a struggling startup.

My new starter should arrive by Friday so I'll be on it this weekend. Will followup with you guys once complete.