Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-24-2016, 03:39 PM   #15
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
So would you agree that this issue is present when the car has been driven, stopped for a brief period, and then you start it again?

If so that is symptomatic of a classic "GM Hot Start" problem. Been around for over 50 years: The starter gets heat soaked during the stop. With no cooling air flowing around it, it bakes in the heat. A little hard to start. It is historically fairly normal.

If this is the issue, it can lead to starter failure. Can lead to it.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:02 PM   #16
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
So would you agree that this issue is present when the car has been driven, stopped for a brief period, and then you start it again?

If so that is symptomatic of a classic "GM Hot Start" problem. Been around for over 50 years: The starter gets heat soaked during the stop. With no cooling air flowing around it, it bakes in the heat. A little hard to start. It is historically fairly normal.

If this is the issue, it can lead to starter failure. Can lead to it.
Thanks, yeah... and I've known about this issue. The starts weren't a problem like this before... Its just of late that the starts have been getting lazier and lazier... so yes, I'm still convinced my Starter is going out.
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:23 PM   #17
Eric Baker

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS 6M
I have the same slow start that seems to be getting worse. I actually had it not start for me once. I was sitting in traffic for a while so everything was really hot, parked, wanted to move over in the parking spot, and nothing when I tried starting. Thought it was the battery. After eating dinner and coming back out, it started fine. I'll be doing a starter sometime soon.
Eric Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:46 PM   #18
Spec
Account Suspended

Well boys and girls... it was definitely the starter.

I didn't feel like doing the labor on this (too damn hot!), so I took it into a good local shop, gave them the part, and they went at it. They quoted me 100 to install the part... couldn't warranty the part, but 90 days labor warranty.

Unfortunately, it was the wrong part! The part I got was listed when I searched for a 2010 Camaro SS LS3, and what I got was way bigger, and didn't even have the harness hook up needed. Looks like a good vendor is getting a return (sorry guys). The moment I ordered it I had a feeling something was off. When I got it I thought to myself, damn... that's a monster. Sucker was as long as my forearm and weight a good 30lbs I think. I couldn't be sure though until I got underneath the ride to compare and attempt an install.

Anyway, I still wanted the starter replaced, so the shop was able to get me a new one for a good price. A couple of hours total removal and install time (I know, but they took their time and did it right).

So when they lowered the lift, I was close so that I could hear the first start up. Sounded great. He shut it off, started it again... all good again. He did it again for another 2 times and it started good again. Didn't even stutter once.

Okay... so far so good. Paid the man and drove out of there a happy camper... The true test would come after driving it from Pomona to Riverside in this 100 degree weather.

Hit the bank and ran some errands locally, got some lunch then jumped on the 10 heading for the 15 and then the 91. Some traffic on the way, just cruising all the way there...

Got home, and shut it down. Restarted it, no issues... strong start cycles sound the same every time. Did it again, strong start cycle. Okay I'm convinced...

Problem solved! I no longer have to worry about getting stuck at a gas station or something lol. Feels good. Diagnosed and repaired.

I'll see about a vid post later if anyone's interested.

Now... its time to ride. Long weekend coming up, gonna go for a ride.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:55 PM   #19
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
mines started like that sense new.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:17 AM   #20
Spec
Account Suspended

Definitely a big difference on warm startups... and even on cold startups;

Before starter replacement (Cold Start):

After starter replacement (Cold Start):

95.4K Miles
Old 09-02-2016, 11:36 AM   #21
AP90

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss
The first start up didn't sound like anything out of the ordinary really. Maybe I'm due for a starter....
AP90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:54 AM   #22
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP90 View Post
The first start up didn't sound like anything out of the ordinary really. Maybe I'm due for a starter....
Same exact issue as OP for me as well.

I still have the original battery, might need to replace both soon!

Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:38 PM   #23
Jhanks89

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I have the same issue...let me know how it works out
Jhanks89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:25 PM   #24
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
I replaced the battery first for my 13 and it was not that and still good I used it for something else, and the starter was getting lazier and lazier and I replaces it and it is starting better yet still its not as snappy as your supposed lazy starter video and I think someday I will have to look at the ground also.... Heat soak happens but cold even is a sure sign its getting old and our stock starters are gear reduction so that one just looks stock in the pic to me.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:59 AM   #25
evonschu

Drives: Camaro ZL1
I'm wondering if my issue is what you had here. Even the same exact CEL. Think I might order a starter.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527875
2013 Camaro ZL1 M6: Rotofab CAI, JDP ZL-R Rough Idle Cam, Upgraded Valve Springs and Pushrods, Ron Davis Heat Exchanger, Alky Methanol Injection, Rx Catch Can, 87mm VMAX Ported TB, Summit Performance Spark Plug Wires, 10" Lower Pulley, Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with Magnaflow Cats, ID850 Injectors, Johnson 2110R lifters, EBC Slotted Rotors+Hawk Pads, Rotofab SC Coolant Reservoir, 160* Thermostat, Custom Mild to Wild switch, Tune, 1st to 4th bypass. 685 RWHP / 640 RWTQ.
evonschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:04 AM   #26
fredzilla23

Drives: 2011 camaro ss
What started did u end up going with ? Having same issue
fredzilla23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:13 AM   #27
fredzilla23

Drives: 2011 camaro ss
What started did u end up getting
fredzilla23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:55 AM   #28
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
No doubt excess heat can kill a starter. Many header equipped cars go thru starters if the headers are close.