Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 01-24-2018, 06:36 PM   #1
U LUZE

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Concealing Headers

Has anybody had any luck or have tips on concealing headers so tech inspection doesn't easily notice them at the drag strip? I obviously know you can't totally hide them, but don't want them to stick out at first glance.
U LUZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:46 PM   #2
crazydave

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by U LUZE View Post
Has anybody had any luck or have tips on concealing headers so tech inspection doesn't easily notice them at the drag strip? I obviously know you can't totally hide them, but don't want them to stick out at first glance.
Why would you feel the need to do this? Any competent tech inspector would be able to see long tube headers vs manifolds if he really looked. The startup sound really gives it away anyways with the header hiss. I guess you could have them ceramic coated flat black. Mine are and they don't really stick out too much. Having headers doesn't really drive any additional safety requirements that i am aware of.
Current Mods: Rotofab CAI, Big Gulp, and Res. ATI Superdamper and 10" Lower, DSX FF Sensor, DSX Aux Fuel Pump, ID850s, Kooks 1 7/8" Headers, Forced Induction Interchiller, McLeod RTX Twin disk. DSX Tuned. Running on 20" MT ET Street SS on stock wheels for the strip.

Best 1/4 mile to date:10.81 @130.43 mph w/ 1.61 60'

Just added: Jokerz Stage II blower port and FI Interchillers blower lid spacer.
crazydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:53 PM   #3
U LUZE

I need to stay "stock". As long as I'm stock I don't need a cage. They're pretty lenient but just trying to fly under the radar. Their tech isn't really do detailed. Mostly a quick peek under the hood.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:00 PM   #4
crazydave

Quote:
I need to stay "stock". As long as I'm stock I don't need a cage. They're pretty lenient but just trying to fly under the radar. Their tech isn't really do detailed. Mostly a quick peek under the hood.
Have you run faster than an 11.5? Doesn't the CAI give it away also? They look nice but far from stock. I don't have a cage and run in the 10s most of the night. Tech guy asks what it runs (it really has run an 11.6 before) and they leave me alone for a few runs then tell me to slow down or they will kick me out. Works for me. Good luck OP.
Current Mods: Rotofab CAI, Big Gulp, and Res. ATI Superdamper and 10" Lower, DSX FF Sensor, DSX Aux Fuel Pump, ID850s, Kooks 1 7/8" Headers, Forced Induction Interchiller, McLeod RTX Twin disk. DSX Tuned. Running on 20" MT ET Street SS on stock wheels for the strip.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:07 PM   #5
U LUZE

I run 11.50 now with just a tune and CAI. They are ok with the CAI and drag radials. They know cars run fast from the factory and leave you alone as long as you are under 135 mph and "stock". I plan on doing Jannetty's 125 package only thing I can't hide is the headers. I can paint the pulley black.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:29 PM   #6
crazydave

Quote:
I run 11.50 now with just a tune and CAI. They are ok with the CAI and drag radials. They know cars run fast from the factory and leave you alone as long as you are under 135 mph and "stock". I plan on doing Jannetty's 125 package only thing I can't hide is the headers. I can paint the pulley black.

Impressive run! You might be able to hide the obvious but you will never conceal the sound. These cars are pretty loud with headers and increased boost at WOT. Get them coated flat black and see if you can get away with it. You can kind of see my header tubes in this photo.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2018, 08:19 PM   #7
CAM....ZL1

Quote:

The track I go to has been around a long time, two years ago they closed it ripped it completely out. Tower, track, guard rails fencing, everything. Then they built a brand new all concrete surface with a longer shut down. New tower, bathrooms, concessions, lighting, seating, the works. I am cammed, 28% lower, and much more. I have a e85 system on the way for even more. I run in the mid to high 6's depending on conditions. Hoping for mid to low 6's. It is a eigth mi track and they are pretty picky about rules, but never said a word about my times besides damn that street car runs. 6 or under and I would have to have a cage. This is not a NHRA track but go by their rules.
CAM....ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:20 PM   #8
U LUZE

Thank you. I have a horrible 1.71 60 foot so there is more left there too. I'm anticipating real deep 11s possibly high 10s on a good DA day with the 125 package. Your headers look good black and seem to "blend in". Do you think there is much more heat retention with them being black?
Old 01-24-2018, 08:30 PM   #9
crazydave

Quote:
Thank you. I have a horrible 1.71 60 foot so there is more left there too. I'm anticipating real deep 11s possibly high 10s on a good DA day with the 125 package. Your headers look good black and seem to "blend in". Do you think there is much more heat retention with them being black?
They retain heat much better (that's a good thing) because they are ceramic coated and that keeps the engine compartment cooler. They are cool to the touch in just a few minutes.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:39 PM   #10
U LUZE

Cool, thanks. I misspoke about heat retention. Meant to say do they generate more heat being 'black'. I appreciate your feedback and the pic. That's about exactly what I was thinking of and wanted to see what it looked like.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:42 PM   #11
U LUZE

That's pretty good. My best 1/8 is 7.4. They recently just re-did our track surface too with concrete. I wish they'd do the concessions and add lighting. No night racing unfortunately as it's too close to a residential area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM....ZL1 View Post
The track I go to has been around a long time, two years ago they closed it ripped it completely out. Tower, track, guard rails fencing, everything. Then they built a brand new all concrete surface with a longer shut down. New tower, bathrooms, concessions, lighting, seating, the works. I am cammed, 28% lower, and much more. I have a e85 system on the way for even more. I run in the mid to high 6's depending on conditions. Hoping for mid to low 6's. It is a eigth mi track and they are pretty picky about rules, but never said a word about my times besides damn that street car runs. 6 or under and I would have to have a cage. This is not a NHRA track but go by their rules.