Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 08-29-2018, 07:45 PM   #1
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
Who is tired of - Spam Phone Calls?!?!

Enough!!

I've posted on...
Do Not Call Lists..

Still receive calls regarding:

Credit Card Interest Rate Reduction -
Student Loan - (Paid 30 years ago).....
Insurance - Health - Life - Auto

Do You Get These Calls?

Becky
JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:51 PM   #2
mbnwa

Drives: 18 NGM ZL1 1LE
I use the following on my iPhone it helps limit the amount of calls as you can have them blocked before ringing your device, The FCC is also working on a task force to limit the access that these folks have but will still take time to bring live.

As someone who works in the telecommunications industry we see these issues all too frequently.

Hiya
17' Camaro 2SS A8 Vert Upgrades: Pray MSD IM/95mm TB/E85/Tune / Roto-fab CAI / GM Dark Taillights / LED Turn's with VLED Resisters / LED Reverse Lights / JWM Side Markers / Factory UQT PDR (CTS-V) / BMR DSL, MM010 / TSP 1 7/8 / Front Camera / Eyebrow Harness / Elite Engineering E2-X / AEM Wideband with Aeroforce single pod / HD Radio / OnStar Delete / RPM Roll Bar
mbnwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:10 PM   #3
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
I use Hiya as well on my Samsung.

I can't believe this crap is legal.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:22 PM   #4
Scraps0f

Drives: 2018 NGM ZL1
The ones I normally get are student loan reduction (never had student loans) and extended warranty ones, my new car being the only one I have ever had an extended warranty on and is nooooo where near being in use. I know that listening to the whole automated message and hitting what ever number removes you from the list is useless. Normally it is just another way for them to transfer you to a live "representative" which most will not stay on the line and realize or if not it is just logging the number press in whatever dialer program they used, not making a difference because this information is normally never exported from the program and used to make changes in original listings. This press does not matter as these are normally used for scams; or when used legitimately the people using them don't know how to actually use the information or it is just not cost effective to have someone import the information back into the system to remove the number.
Scraps0f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:24 PM   #5
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
I get calls like these every single day. I don't understand how these scammers are allowed to just spoof any number they want. It doesn't seem like that difficult of a problem to solve. Surely the telecommunications folks have logs of which call centers are calling with seemingly random caller IDs.

The only thing you can do to hurt them is take their time. Talk to them and feed them a bunch of crap, put them on hold frequently, etc.. It's surprising how long they'll tolerate it.

Give them social security numbers with letters or too many digits... That's usually pretty fun.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
2016 Camaro SS M6 w/LT4 (Sold)
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:25 PM   #6
mbnwa

Drives: 18 NGM ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I can't believe this crap is legal.
Technically it's not, however with how easy it is to get VoIP services (I'm CTO at a VoIP company) and some companies lax policies on how customers utilize it's services as well as lack of enforcement by "some" providers (revenue is revenue model) it's super easy to ether A) Spoof Caller ID (the calling number) or spam folks until the number is disconnected and just get another number.

That's part of what the FCC is trying to address in it's SHAKEN/STIR Solution
17' Camaro 2SS A8 Vert Upgrades: Pray MSD IM/95mm TB/E85/Tune / Roto-fab CAI / GM Dark Taillights / LED Turn's with VLED Resisters / LED Reverse Lights / JWM Side Markers / Factory UQT PDR (CTS-V) / BMR DSL, MM010 / TSP 1 7/8 / Front Camera / Eyebrow Harness / Elite Engineering E2-X / AEM Wideband with Aeroforce single pod / HD Radio / OnStar Delete / RPM Roll Bar
mbnwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:27 PM   #7
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
If I don't recognize the number I don't answer. If it's legit they can leave a message on voice mail.
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:29 PM   #8
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
If I don't recognize the number I don't answer. If it's legit they can leave a message on voice mail.
That works for private lines, but it's tough to do that with a phone that's used for business.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
2016 Camaro SS M6 w/LT4 (Sold)
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:30 PM   #9
z28pat

Drives: 2002 z28, 2018 2ss 1LE
They have gotten worse in the last few months can the student loans (don’t have any ) and the credit card ones, the extended warranty, they’re outta control , lol
z28pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:57 PM   #10
DBelcher

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 G7Q
The spam phone calls are annoying enough and I am now receiving random text messages as well. I block the number through my phone but eventually they use another number
DBelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:03 PM   #11
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Like others have said, If I don't recognize the number, I won't usually answer the phone. If it's legit/important, they'll leave a voice mail.

Entering your number on the 'do not call' register does NOT eliminate all the telemarketers.

If I'm curious, I'll do a reverse number look-up on the whitepages web site. Often, I'll see the number listed as spam or telemarketer, etc. If so, I'll just mark that number as such in my contacts.

Let Joe act as your secretary and have him answer your phone to deal with all the nonsense calls. (grin)
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:07 PM   #12

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Some days are worse than others...My strategy is to NEVER answer any odd-ball number....Even if you answer and get pissed, that has value to them...you've just showed them you own than number, are male, female, approximate age...Any clue gives or tidbit has value for them...and adds info for them to possibly steal your identity....

So, again, never answer.....They currently tapered off, but lately, and I believe because partly due to never answering, I've been getting messages in foreign languages....Chinese, Spanish....They are relentless and will never give up....Just let it go and NEVER answer the call....

Good luck.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:08 PM   #13
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
I do that same. I get spam calls daily that are mostly coming as local area codes.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:19 PM   #14
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
All. The. Time.

Had a few today. Last one was allegedly from Publisher's Clearing House. Said, "Nope" and hung up... and then thought for a second... and hoped I didn't just hang up on $5M.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote