Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-16-2018, 12:22 PM   #29
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8WNTR View Post
makes me want to do a cam swap sooner than later just so I can switch the lifters.
Do it!
Old 09-16-2018, 02:21 PM   #30
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
My fifty had a very similar issue that the dealership blamed on the spark plug electrode being bent. Dumped the car. If my ZL1 gets it or the oil pump failure I will no longer buy a GM product again.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:19 PM   #31
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
The main point of all this isnt to scare folks. It's just to make people aware that not every tick or noise you here is normal despite what the internet says. If you have a noise that you are concerned about, do some investigating and push back against dealerships who think you dont know anything. A stethoscope is a cheap but valuable tool to have. They allow you to pinpoint noises and amplify the various sounds. With one, you cam clearly hear the injectors firing, the rockers opening valves and stuck lifters banging pushrods... lol definitely distinct and metallic.

I'll bet that if I had posted that video and asked for advice, 80%+ of respondents would have said it was normal or that it's just DI... lol nope. It's hard to analyze sounds from a recording on u tube.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:13 PM   #32

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
A poor man's stethoscope....lol...

Name:  steth.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  24.2 KB
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:30 PM   #33
Ace01

Drives: 2018 1LE SS "Silver Bullet"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
A poor man's stethoscope....lol...

Attachment 956958

https://www.harborfreight.com/mechan...ope-63691.html

$4.00
Old 09-16-2018, 05:40 PM   #34
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgocifer View Post
The main point of all this isnt to scare folks. It's just to make people aware that not every tick or noise you here is normal despite what the internet says. If you have a noise that you are concerned about, do some investigating and push back against dealerships who think you dont know anything. A stethoscope is a cheap but valuable tool to have. They allow you to pinpoint noises and amplify the various sounds. With one, you cam clearly hear the injectors firing, the rockers opening valves and stuck lifters banging pushrods... lol definitely distinct and metallic.

I'll bet that if I had posted that video and asked for advice, 80%+ of respondents would have said it was normal or that it's just DI... lol nope. It's hard to analyze sounds from a recording on u tube.
Based on that video, I would have said it sounded normal. Im glad you went against the grain and had it checked out.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:58 PM   #35
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Glad to hear your dealer is taking care of you. Hope the replacement goes well for you.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:12 PM   #36
CoolbreezeNJ

Drives: '18 Hotwheels 2SS
You can keep or get rid of the car and I feel for you but it is the same everywhere. I'm sure Consumer Reports rates my '09 Honda Accord as the best car every made but not really. I chewed thru it's first rear brakes at 24K miles. Shortly I get a letter about a lawsuit against Honda paying me for the repairs. Honda knew all of this but did they try to help --no. At 44K miles it roasted a spark plug. Didn't think much of it took it to the dealer and they replaced it. Then the service manager tells me a lot of the V6 motors are doing this. Few months later voila another lawsuit against Honda. Gets paid for again.

Now later on this blown spark plug is really a bigger problem of bad rings in the car. Voila another letter and another lawsuit. Honda extends the warranty to 8 years 120K miles because a lot of these motors have bad rings and the service manager once again tells me he would be happy to do the job as he has done many. Catch is you have to burn 1 qt of oil in 1K miles to get your motor done. Mine didn't do it so now I'm stuck with changing out that spark plug every 20K miles or so so that it doesn't foul when my wife is driving it as it is her car.

Now lets go my former '13 Honda Civic Si. Again I'm sure it was one of the greatest cars ever invented. If that car sits for 2 days or almost every morning in the winter it has this horrible squawk when you start it. Of course it is all over the internet and we believe it is the VVT acuators after the oil has drained out of it. Of course Honda doesn't fix it and I could leave it for a week and they say they don't hear the problem after I have shown them my own videos and they admit they can hear it. Of course I take the car home and sure enough it will do it the next morning. That car is now gone traded for my Camaro.

Long story short, people would have you believe that Honda Toyota, etc are better cars and they never have problems or they never break. Not really the truth at all and far from it!!!!

So up to you if you want to keep your Camaro but at least GM stepped up and I assure you that neither Honda nor Toyota will until they are sued.

Do I blame you for not buying a Chevy? Hell no I won't buy a BMW or a Honda and maybe a Toyota.
CoolbreezeNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:44 PM   #37
biker2k

Drives: 2018 2ss 1le
out of curiosity what lifters does everyone recommend to swap to...
biker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:01 PM   #38
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Not true. LT1 keeps AFM, truck V8 (don’t remember the RPO and too lazy to look it up) gets DFM.

Cgocifer, sorry to hear about your issues. If it is repaired in reasonable time, try to stick with it for a bit. Lightning rarely strikes twice in the same place. I’m thinking this is a rarity that is not likely to re-occur. Definitely not a systemic problem like some of the issues another brand is experiencing.
So I lie?

AFM is what my dealer service mgr. said on my 09 GMC truck. NEVER heard of DFM.

edit: OK, my bad. I was thinking now and back. DFM is the new version for 2019 forward. Not sure/hope Camaro 6.2 will be spared till DFM cleaned up.

Last edited by Stex; 09-16-2018 at 07:35 PM.
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:05 PM   #39
Stex

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker2k View Post
out of curiosity what lifters does everyone recommend to swap to...
There are several lifter/cam non-AFM conversions. Check them out completely. My friends shop has done some. I'll check. I would check with a good speed shop in your area.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:09 PM   #40
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stex View Post
So I lie?

AFM is what my dealer service mgr. said on my 09 GMC truck. NEVER heard of DFM. Fake news?
For your '09 you're correct about AFM. I think Martinjim was just pointing out that for 2019s that can shut down individual cylinders on demand, it's called Dynamic Fuel Management (DFM), which is basically the next gen of AFM.

See info here; https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us...erado-dfm.html

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:27 PM   #41
Stex

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
For your '09 you're correct about AFM. I think Martinjim was just pointing out that for 2019s that can shut down individual cylinders on demand, it's called Dynamic Fuel Management (DFM), which is basically the next gen of AFM.

See info here; https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us...erado-dfm.html
Yes, sorry, I miss read, Can not tell if all 6.2s will get DFM or if they are again using the trucks as a test. ground. For Camaro's sake, I hope they leave it off tell cleaned up. Looks like it is just the 6.2 in the trucks. With the early issues of AFM, new Camaro owners be thankful.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...el-management/

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...-to-20-percent
Old 09-16-2018, 07:29 PM   #42
biker2k

Drives: 2018 2ss 1le
don't want to take this topic off thread...
but couldn't you just change the lifters...
if cam is necessary what would be a good mild cam to improve overall performance without losing too much in one area
biker2k is offline   Reply With Quote