Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 03-14-2010, 04:21 AM   #15
H3LLJumper

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS VIN#11184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
This is gonna piss cops off !!! Lmao

There gonna Pull you over for blue halos

Drivers reaction ... "What Blue Halo's", .. Officer you look tired, there's a Dunkin-Donuts down the road, lol
That's the whole point of the thread........

Lingenfelter 550 HP TVS2300 Supercharger Package, Hennessey CAI, Pedders Extreme XA Drag Package and Sway Bars (waiting to take delivery) Painted gills, stripe, and bow ties, tinted windows to 30%, smoked lights, Orange headlight/fog light halos, NOWEEDS, and GMPP Exhaust
H3LLJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:15 AM   #16
Camaro68

Drives: 68 Camaro 327ci 2SS/RS 376ci LS3
Thumbs up

Nice write up and job on those, awesome look.

6000 Vehicle Delivered to Customer 6-23-10
Camaro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:01 AM   #17
fireresq157

Drives: 1997 SS & 2010 2SS/RS
were do you get the other equipment to change the color of the halos.
fireresq157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:32 AM   #18
heinzd01

Drives: 2010 SS RS, 1976 Type LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireresq157 View Post
were do you get the other equipment to change the color of the halos.
Single Color Halos http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35663

Dual Color Halos http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42600
heinzd01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:42 AM   #19
Lanaue

Drives: 99 SS
Sweet deal
Lanaue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:32 AM   #20
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
That looks so cool.
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:37 AM   #21
cddavis1971

Drives: 2LT Rally Yellow Camaro
Sweet!! I do want the Halo lights.
cddavis1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:15 AM   #22
CaliEMT
Decepticons. . . MOBILIZE

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black
I agree!
AAC provided A JOKE of instrucions. !
And for 200 bucks you get that switch!!!!! WHAT A JOKE!
After all my hard work and extra money spent on stuff it looks great. But com'n AAC!
CaliEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:32 PM   #23
Bone
2SS RJT OWNER/OPERATOR

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 RJT
FYI -Wiring my non RS model (see sketch)

After reading and interpreting Kismyss's instructions. I sketched what I will be doing for my dual red/white halos that I ordered (when they arrive). In fact I've already built a mock up and they works great. Using a 5 post relay w/switch I am able to control weather the white halo's or the red halo's will be on or off.

The relay is actually just a coil, when energized, closed contacts flips from post 87a to post 87

(1) post 87A in normally closed, feed by power from post 30. so the white halo's will come on when I start the car. (I could control this by inserting a switch between the fuse and post 30. This would stop all halo's from coming on until that switch is turned on)
Or running the power to post 30 from the fog lights (so when the fogs are on, power to post 30 energizes and the white halo's are on thru post 87A)

(2) either way, when the toggle switch in turned on. It energizes the coil in the relay and flips the contacts from 87A to post 87 turning on the red halo's and turning off the white. its that simple. When I turn the switch off, the white halo's come back on and the rd are turned off.
Note: I used a switch that has a red lamp when turned on, so I know that the red halo's are on. (Just for show...not good while driving) again the white halo's are on at default when the car is running.

I am not an electronics engineer. So, if anybody see a potential problem with this setup. Please advise... Any and all input is appreciated.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:43 PM   #24
Bone
2SS RJT OWNER/OPERATOR

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 RJT
Here is revised diagram thanks to CIGAM21. I origianally drew the diagram based on the switch thru the positive wires. But, the halo's come with (1) + power lead and (2) (-) negative leads. So, the switching needs to be directed to the negitive leads...It make more since. I re-wired my mockup an it works exactly the same. Just with the neg's are being switched. Perfect. Thats works great. Thanks for your help CIGAM21. Any body adding dual color halo's should take a good look at using this wiring set-up. It allows you to control both halo's with just one toggle switch...

Now, all I need is for ACC to deliver my red/white halo's... lol
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2011, 10:53 AM   #25
DyerCamaro
Tom, Jen and Atlas

Drives: 2011 IOM 1SS/RS
Ok i wired my dual halos as shown in the 6-16-10 schematic from Bone. One problem though, they never go off even when the car is off. Now, one thing i did different from the diagram is that i skipped inserting a fuse in the 12v line, which i dont think wil change whether they go on or off its just a precaution. My queston is how do i make it so i can turn the halos off. I kinda like being able to have them on even when the car is off but need a way to make that optional. If i add another switch just for on and off how would i wire it?
Old 01-26-2011, 11:32 AM   #26
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerCamaro View Post
Ok i wired my dual halos as shown in the 6-16-10 schematic from Bone. One problem though, they never go off even when the car is off. Now, one thing i did different from the diagram is that i skipped inserting a fuse in the 12v line, which i dont think wil change whether they go on or off its just a precaution. My queston is how do i make it so i can turn the halos off. I kinda like being able to have them on even when the car is off but need a way to make that optional. If i add another switch just for on and off how would i wire it?
They are always on because you wired them to the battery post I'm guessing. Meaning they are always hot. You need to install a rocker switch between the halos and the battery. Very simple.

You don't have to use an in-line fuse. The LEDs draw such a small current that they really cant cause any wiring problems. That being said, the in-line fuse is that added protection.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:58 PM   #27
DTS2SS

Drives: '10 Carmaro 2SS, '06 Yamaha R6
It's impossible to find an on-off-on switch that looks good. Any ideas let me know thanks. I've looked everywhere.
DTS2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #28
RAY-RAY
Pure Anger On Wheels!

Drives: 1SS IBM w/ SIM Stripes
Non-RS Halos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kismyss View Post
Attachment 89625
Well I figured out how to wire my dual color halos with a single switch so i dont have to put 2 switches in the dash or use an ugly toggle switch that doesnt lite up when in use. I used the single throw switch that comes with the halo kit. They dont give you a double throw switch they say because they give you that one free but I think it sucks for the money you spend for the lights, How freakin hard is it to get an On-Off-On thats not an ugly toggle

Attachment 89624

Go to Oreilly, Napa, and pick up a 5 pole 12vdc relay and wiring harness. These are very common and easy to get. It needs to have 2 terminals for the coil, 1 terminal for the common and 1 Normally closed contact, 1 Normally open contact. Terminal 85 & 86 are the coil either can be ground or 12vdc-
#30 is Common or Ground to the body-#87a is Normally closed (white)
#87 is Normally Open (Blue) The only circuit not fused is the coil for the relay everything else is fused through the Halo Circuit
Attachment 89653

Attachment 89652

I mounted the switch undr neathe the cowl for convenience with a few wire ties
Attachment 89641

First wire the Red positive wire for all the Halos to the existing Halo 12vdc wire. If you dont know take a volt meter and check each wire to a ground bolt if you get 12vdc with the parking lights on then Bingo thats the one. (This is not part of the relay) Install your on/off switch with a 5/8" paddle bit or hole bit in the dash, run your wires through the hole and solder to the switch. I ran the ground from the switch to a bolt in the cabin above the fuse box. (This energizes the light on the switch so you know when its on)

Attachment 89624

Drill small hole through the firewall and run (2) 22 guage wires into the engine compartment. I hid the wires under the engine compartment seal foam along the radiater cover and this is a great place to hide wires it's not glued and comes off real easy. The Middle terminal of the switch I ran over to the the engine fuse box Positive Terminal outside the fuse box (Hot all the Time) This only gives energizes the coil not the lights (control circuit). This also allows you to change the color anytime even without the key in the ignition.

Attachment 89640

Attachment 89642

The Other wire goes From the Top terminal of the switch to either side of the Coil of the relay and solder. Then Take all four White Halo Ground Wires and Solder them to the normally Closed side of the Relay. (This is so the White halos are the default and operate as normal with the headlights and parking lights.
Then take all four of the Blue Halo Ground Wires and wire them to the normally open side of the Relay (Blue will only work when you flip the switch)

You then will have 2 Terminals left on the relay, I wired both of these together to wire terminals and mounted them to a body mounting bolt inside the engine compartment (This is Ground) This supplies ground for the color of the Halos Its really quite easy to do and is a simple concept and works like a Charm.

This is just a Gratuitis Shot of My Footwell lighting connected to the dome light but I had to put it on here because it looks so freakin sweet
Attachment 89628

Hi, for Non-RS applications, since we dont have an existing halo wire, what would we hook up to? i tried the parking lights and the white halos always stay on, even when the car is off. any ideas?