Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 04-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
Legendary Umbra

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE Summit White
Exclamation 1LE v Z/28

There really is no comparison...as they say it is in 'purist' form for 2014 but somehow in between now and then my backside prefers premium just like Charmin', and I for one would not trade in my 2013 2SS/RS 1LE just to have a Z/28 again. There are too many advantages to already having a 1LE that can be modded for a few thousand more to bring it in par with the ZL1 or the future Z/28 and still have all the creature features. Do not get me wrong I like what I see and the future for Camaro and the next generation coming up, but I have found my new friend in the 1LE for now. I would throw out that the Z/28 will probably be between 47k-52k which would be middle ground between the 2SS and ZL1. I hope the aftermarket doesn't drop off right away when the next generation comes out for the fifth gens. Just wanted to share and hear what everyones' opinions are of the two...please post up...all negative and positive feedbacks are welcome! BTW, we did get our 427 Z/28! Thank you again GM/Chevrolet!
Old 04-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
mcsoul

Drives: Want a gen 6
I hear it's going to be priced higher than the zl1. As for performance, if the z28
lives up to the hype, it should be very hard to match it for a few thousand. On the
other hand, I'd still rather daily drive a thoughtfully modded 1LE; although I could
not afford a z28 anyway if it costs more than a ZL1 which I also can't afford.
mcsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsoul View Post
I hear it's going to be priced higher than the zl1. As for performance, if the z28
lives up to the hype, it should be very hard to match it for a few thousand. On the
other hand, I'd still rather daily drive a thoughtfully modded 1LE; although I could
not afford a z28 anyway if it costs more than a ZL1 which I also can't afford.
I agree and am in the same boat financially! Our 1LE will be a daily driver, and I do not see the Z/28 meeting that need!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
I always fail to understand these comparison threads. You have an awesome car. Be happy with it. If not, sell it and get what you want.

Now, this is going to tick some people off but that's not my intent.

Stop worrying about modding your cars to be on par with this or that. Here's the reality. You can't modify your V6 Camaro to be on par with an SS for what it costs to buy an SS. You can't modify your SS to be on par with the 1LE for the cost of the 1LE option. So on and so forth. Get the picture? You can't make a 1LE on par with either Z. Yes, you can add power, that's really not the point.

I personally think the 1LE is the best bang for the buck Camaro going. Put some headers and a cold air kit on it and drive the crap out of it.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
The Z/28 will be priced north of the ZL1, (so 60k+).....That has already been established by GM

The 1LE is a great car, but I have one on order because I cannot comfortably afford a Z/28

The thoughts of "matching the performance for X amount of dollars" are always nule in my book, The Z/28 comes with a warranty. Modding anything beyond a few bolt on the 1LE and the 5/100 powertrain warranty in non existent.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #6
gajagfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
The Z/28 will be priced north of the ZL1, (so 60k+).....That has already been established by GM

The 1LE is a great car, but I have one on order because I cannot comfortably afford a Z/28

The thoughts of "matching the performance for X amount of dollars" are always nule in my book, The Z/28 comes with a warranty. Modding anything beyond a few bolt on the 1LE and the 5/100 powertrain warranty in non existent.
I could not agree more with your comments, and those of BlueClyde. These 1LE's seem like great cars, great enough that I ordered one having never driven one. It has all the go fast and handling that I need right now because I am being honest about my ability as a driver. I have drag raced for years and have been to road race school. This car is going to allow me to improve on my ability as a driver in the later discipline. I do not see many comments regarding the personal mod that this car will afford us lucky enough to purchase one, and I think either many on this forum have a false sense of their own ability, or they are missing out on the biggest amount of improvement you could add to the car, and it does not cost as much as many of the mods I see being discussed! I guess what I am saying is that before I try to make my new 1LE a Z/28 (which I could not afford to do), I am going to make sure I can ring every bit of performance out of the stock 1LE! Just my opinion!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #7
Boris632

Drives: 1955 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post

at 60k id almost rather have the 1LE.

I love the Z/28 is - but not at that price. Not when i can buy a 1LE for 35k and if i really wanted to could swap in an LSX 454 block for 10k plus a few more thousand for the extras required.

Or if I wanted to spend 60k - you can buy a nice 67-69 Camaro and buy speedtech/dse suspension setups and an LS drive train

Or just buy a new C7 or a used Z06 maybe even a used ZR1.

I know there is hype for the Z/28 - but I think GM needs to be smart with its pricing or else they will turn off buyers

A 2014 1LE with those Recaros (and hopefully) the Z/28 wheels - im drooling
Boris632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
its all about sayin i got a z/28 to alot of ppl . most will buy and never get the benifit of what the car is made for. hard to compare the 2 . but the 1le is a great car. im sure after the first 6 months u will be able to find them used and get a good deal on one.. but i wouldnt pay 60k for one unless i was just loaded and needing to spend money for something i dont need lol.

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:58 PM   #9
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
I always fail to understand these comparison threads. You have an awesome car. Be happy with it. If not, sell it and get what you want.

Now, this is going to tick some people off but that's not my intent.

Stop worrying about modding your cars to be on par with this or that. Here's the reality. You can't modify your V6 Camaro to be on par with an SS for what it costs to buy an SS. You can't modify your SS to be on par with the 1LE for the cost of the 1LE option. So on and so forth. Get the picture? You can't make a 1LE on par with either Z. Yes, you can add power, that's really not the point.

I personally think the 1LE is the best bang for the buck Camaro going. Put some headers and a cold air kit on it and drive the crap out of it.
This is so wrong!
Guarantee my non supercharged, bolt on 1LE will definitely give a stock ZL1 a big big run for the money, I'd go as far as to say I would win!
And all the bolt ons cost me was about 3 k!!
CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:16 AM   #10
gajagfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRS55 View Post
This is so wrong!
Guarantee my non supercharged, bolt on 1LE will definitely give a stock ZL1 a big big run for the money, I'd go as far as to say I would win!
You feel the mods you have listed gave your engine 150 more hp?
Old 04-13-2013, 01:18 AM   #11
bw26ss
Banned

Drives: ss camaro
Quote:
This is so wrong!
bw26ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:13 AM   #12
Milkdudd

Drives: Saturn XR V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris632 View Post
A 2014 1LE with those Recaros (and hopefully) the Z/28 wheels - im drooling
I'm not the only one in love with those wheels?
Milkdudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:05 AM   #13
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
You feel the mods you have listed gave your engine 150 more hp?
No I didn't say that but if your talking horse power to the motor not the wheels here, then I would say close to 100, maybe not quite 150 but let's not forget my car is at least 300 pounds lighter then a ZL1......
I'm not saying I would definitely win, maybe I was getting a little crazy in my first statement about this..... but I guarantee it would be very interesting..

I definitely do know one thing that guy who said I couldn't make my car perform like a Z for cheaper was dead nuts wrong! If I just spent another 2-3k on mine and put a Cam and head work in I would definitely take it down.
I would be putting just about same h p to the wheels in a lighter car!
It's common sense...
CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #14
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Quote:
This is so wrong!
You have totally missed the point. It's not about bolting parts on and making something as fast in a straightaway. Sure you can do this. The point is it still does not match the total package/ability of the ZL1. You simply can't do this for the price of a ZL1. When I say total package, I mean performance and durability. It can't be done with bolt ons.

One more point... It's going to take more than headers, exhaust and CAI to hang with a ZL1. What your lacking is torque. I had a max build NA SS that put 485 HP to the wheels. My stock ZL1 is quicker due to instant torque from the S/C.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote