Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-10-2017, 05:30 PM   #15
T-Man

Drives: 09 Cobalt SS Sedan
Pretty badass! Looking forward to updates.
T-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:07 PM   #16
Sinester17

Drives: 2017 Summit white ZL1 M6
any more info on the ported blower? I'm looking at doing this for the next mod to my car and I haven't seen a whole lot in the way of shops porting blowers.

what different levels do you offer? hp/trq gains for each? and of course price.

great build and great write up. these in depth step by step posts are few and far between. the mechanic in me loves them!!!
Sinester17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 04:41 PM   #17
WEAPON-X

Drives: ZL1 ATS-V CTS-V C7Z Range Sport SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinester17 View Post
any more info on the ported blower? I'm looking at doing this for the next mod to my car and I haven't seen a whole lot in the way of shops porting blowers.

what different levels do you offer? hp/trq gains for each? and of course price.

great build and great write up. these in depth step by step posts are few and far between. the mechanic in me loves them!!!
Absolutely, we're a lot further along that what you're seeing... I'm just trying to find time to get it all up in chronological order.

Here is the info on porting costs. We gained around 30-35whp if I recall on stock boost.

https://weaponxmotorsports.com/produ...camaro-zl1-lt4
WEAPON-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:05 PM   #18
WEAPON-X

Heart of the Beast

These Wiseco pistons are a work of art!

Roll up my "sleeves"

ARP CA 625 Studs

Head case

Going back together

BMR Engine Mounts for some clearance

Uncommon view

In she goes!

10 speed trans - stay together for me honey

Old 12-16-2017, 08:19 PM   #19
WEAPON-X

Time to make some room

Not for the faint of heart LOL. When I started this, I figured I could hang the big boy under the back but after we got to do some measuring, this thing is the size of a basketball haha, so we had some cutting to do!

I'm not sure why Chevy located a lot of the electronics in the hatch floor of the ZL1 unlike the ATS V and CTS V3. They're all nearly identical, so they were very simple to move and this would also allow someone to use our 6 gallon trunk ice tank with pump too if needed.

WEAPON-X Stealth Trunk Tank

https://www.facebook.com/WeaponXMoto...74357172641515
Old 12-17-2017, 02:50 AM   #20
EXSSIVE

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS M6
What would the cost be for the short block using an LT1 as a base?
EXSSIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:21 AM   #21
WEAPON-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXSSIVE View Post
What would the cost be for the short block using an LT1 as a base?
All of our short block options from factory sleeves to the Darton sleeve setups are on the site here and we offer core exchanges or new factory blocks,so pick your poison!

https://weaponxmotorsports.com/produ...-block-lt1-lt4
Old 12-17-2017, 01:59 PM   #22
EXSSIVE

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS M6
Thanks! Would it be possible to swing by and pick everything up rather than having it shipped?
EXSSIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 02:42 PM   #23
WEAPON-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXSSIVE View Post
Thanks! Would it be possible to swing by and pick everything up rather than having it shipped?
Absolutely, come on down! We have cars shipped in from around the country and we offer enclosed transport too, so we are up that way from time to time as well. We can do a complete long block as well with the full engine & blower assembled if you want.

We have a preload measuring tool to make sure every high pressure pump is mounted within spec. Despite what most cam manufacturers are saying, the HPFP preload is extremely critical for pump control and it's not just a 1 grind fits all because we're talking very small tolerances and we've seen a lot of variations amongst models and years - possibly from the valley plate platform, gasket thicknesses, pump flange, etc. Too low of preload and you don't have enough control to ensure constant pressure at higher demand and too much and you either break the M8 bolts that hold it to the valley, or if you stud those like we do, then you break the two smaller hex bolts on the middle of the pump assembly.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:07 PM   #24
ReevZL1

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 A10
Weapon X taking performance to a whole new level!!! I'm stoked to see this turbo build!!! Once you make it a kit I'll take one please! Seriously send me a PM when its ready.

Last edited by ReevZL1; 12-17-2017 at 09:22 PM.
ReevZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:43 PM   #25
Bigwhyte

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I am curious how you are going to control IAT with a turbo feeding the supercharger... This has been tried in the past with marginal success
Old 12-17-2017, 08:07 PM   #26
soceur77

Drives: 17 NFG ZL1 17 GTR 22 RS6
when i saw the pic of the trunk cut out i immediately thought of the first fast and the furious when the eclipse floor fell out during the race....LOL
soceur77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:03 PM   #27
Boosted ls

Drives: 2010 Nissan Maxima
I am watching this thread very close
Boosted ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:40 AM   #28
WEAPON-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReevZL1 View Post
Weapon X taking performance to a whole new level!!! I'm stoked to see this turbo build!!! Once you make it a kit I'll take one please! Seriously send me a PM when its ready.
Sure thing, we do have plans to make this a kit, but there will be a lot of variations as to how complete you want it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwhyte View Post
I am curious how you are going to control IAT with a turbo feeding the supercharger... This has been tried in the past with marginal success
I'll get into that soon; however, my focus in engineering was thermodynamics
and between my engineer David, and myself we've had a lot of killer ideas. The cooling portion of this is up next as well.

I will tell you that we built a rear feed twin turbo kit out of the LSA blower on a gen 2 CTS V (same engine as a gen 5 ZL1). We put a smaller version of what we're doing to test and with no chemical cooling (methanol) and only our custom designed heat exchangers, the IATs at 32psi were under 110* and we only used my Track Attack HX up front and our custom HX inside the milled blower housing. We used smaller turbos for quick spooling and at 32psi if I recall (aka making a lot of heat) it was 1034whp on our Mustang dyno. Later, we added and maximized the mechanical cooling and we can get the IATs near freezing and under 80* at the top of a pull.

I have a few patents pending on various versions of this. What we have on my ZL1 will eclipse that setup by approximately 300%.

Check out a few pics of that TT setup and this ATW hx certainly wasn't designed for 1000+ HP but it's all the room we had, we rolled with it knowing we could mechanically cool it if needed, but were astounded at how efficient the entire setup ended up being:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soceur77 View Post
when i saw the pic of the trunk cut out i immediately thought of the first fast and the furious when the eclipse floor fell out during the race....LOL
Lord I hope not

Tags
performance mods, pulley upgrade, tuning, turbo, upgrade