Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 08-27-2018, 05:05 PM   #1
mchaggis

Drives: 2011 L99 2SS
Another thread about those dam rear speakers!

2011 with the BA system. I fitted a new dash kit with a Kenwood DDX9018DABS and was setting up the audio for bass etc but now my RR speak is distorting badly. I only ran it at a volume level of 12 for less than 1 minute. Are these speaker that bad?? I guess so.

Anyway, I have searched and searched but am now more confused than I was. I can talk cams, carbs, transmission, tuning all day but I'm a complete brain dead when it comes to audio systems. I have no idea what crossover or coaxial means amongst lots of other things.
I just want to simply replace the rear speaker with new decent speakers without replacing or bypassing the BA amp. I'm mostly deaf in one ear so I'm not wanting to spend $1-2K on components. This money is best spent on cams, exhausts etc.

Maybe I'm being unrealistic but lots of the thread I read are 5-8 years old so I'm hoping new speakers are now available in 6.5" as these are often suggested as better then 6x9's.

So can you get decent speaker to replace the factory ones without all the hassle that I've read in many threads?
mchaggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:37 PM   #2
beak81champ
ILSQ

Drives: '13 2SS/RS
Look for a bi-ampable 2-way 6x9, such as one from Image Dynamics. You are basically looking for a 6x9 with a tweeter floating over it. Hook tweeter wires from amp to tweeters on speaker, and 6x9 wires from amp to 6x9 wires on speaker. Bi-amped just means you are treating (1) 2-way speaker as 2 separate speakers; a woofer and a tweeter. Coaxial is just 2 drivers, woofer and tweeter, in the same speaker. Some coaxial speakers are not biampable, meaning there will only be one positive and one negative wire. The stock 6x9’s in our cars are bi-amped, so you will have a positive and negative for the tweeter, and a positive and negative for the woofer (on each rear speaker).
Old 08-28-2018, 04:44 AM   #3
mchaggis

Thanks beak81champ. That explains it nicely. A couple more questions...
2 or 4 ohm?
Do I need some sort of speaker adapter like the ones from carspeakeradapters.com? If I go that way I’ve read 6.5” are better than 6x9 or am I best to stick with the stock size?
Old 08-28-2018, 07:07 AM   #4
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchaggis View Post
2 or 4 ohm?
Do I need some sort of speaker adapter like the ones from carspeakeradapters.com? If I go that way I’ve read 6.5” are better than 6x9 or am I best to stick with the stock size?
Yes you ned adapter. 2 ohms each.
•Speed Engineering Longtube Headers w/ Magnaflow HF Cats
•Bo White PnP Stage 2 TB
•GPI SS2 VVT Cam w Cometic thin gaskets 10.69 compression
•Xpipe w/ Res Delete and NPP Exhaust
•Tuned By Anonymous Calibrations
•Gen5DIY Mylink Conversion W/ Backup Cam
•Morel 3 way custom speakers, Infinity 860w Subwoofers in trunk baffle
•Helix P6 6ch amp w/ 8ch DSP and P1 Sub amp
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:25 AM   #5
beak81champ
ILSQ

Quote:
2 or 4 ohm?
CDT might have some good options, as well as Image Dynamics. If you are on Facebook, look up Barry Schanz. He is a CDT dealer, a former car audio competitor, and very knowledgeable about his products.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:15 AM   #6
mchaggis

I have googled bi-amped 2 ohm speakers and have yet to find a single pair. Are they that rare? I have a pair of adapters on the way but I might have been a bit premature and went for the ones that accept 6.5” rather than the 6x9’s. Image dynamics only seem to offer 4 ohm. The 2 ohm ones CDT do don’t seem to be bi-amped. Am I missing something?
Yep I’m that when it comes to this so and please don’t get too frustrated with this audio moron.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:56 AM   #7
mbober99

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Are they that rare?
They were made just for the Camaro only. So yeah, there are no others like them. You can use 4 ohm 6x9's if you really want to replace them as there are many that can be bi-amped. The higher the sensitivity of the speakers the better, because any speakers you use that are 4 Ohm will not be as loud as the 2 Ohm factory speakers. The Sony XS-GS6921 6 x 9's can be bi-amped. I would definately keep 6 x 9's in the back if you are dead set on having rear speakers. Many people who are really into car audio dont use rear speakers, but do tend to spend alot of money on a front set up. The reason for that is many love to have the music sound like its coming from a stage in the front of the car, and sound from the rear kind of ruins that front stage sound. so if i were you, i would take a look at the sony's i mentioned.

Last edited by mbober99; 08-29-2018 at 08:10 AM.
mbober99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:08 AM   #8
beak81champ
ILSQ

This ^^^
Old 08-29-2018, 11:26 AM   #9
Arkangel-77

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
good thread!
Old 08-29-2018, 01:14 PM   #10
mchaggis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbober99 View Post
The Sony XS-GS6921 6 x 9's can be bi-amped. I would definately keep 6 x 9's in the back if you are dead set on having rear speakers.
So if I wanted to go with a pair of 6.5” 2 ohm 2 way that can be bi-amped what would you suggest? Just because I already have the adapters coming to suit 6.5’s.

The other speakers I see a lot come with seperate tweeters and a box of tricks for each pair. Can these be bi-amped without using this “box of tricks”?
See I really have no clue..... Are these boxes called crossovers?
Old 08-29-2018, 01:45 PM   #11
mbober99

Quote:
So if I wanted to go with a pair of 6.5” 2 ohm 2 way that can be bi-amped what would you suggest? Just because I already have the adapters coming to suit 6.5’s.
The other speakers I see a lot come with seperate tweeters and a box of tricks for each pair. Can these be bi-amped without using this “box of tricks”?
See I really have no clue..... Are these boxes called crossovers?
Woofer and tweeter with a crossover are basically called seperates, but....the 6 x 9's will give you WAYYYY more bass capability than the 6.5's. Im guessing the adapters you ordered fit the 6.5's in the 6 x 9 hole? There is a much larger choice of 6.5's compared to the 6x9's, but you will miss that bass if you dont add a subwoofer. I myself would never put 6.5's in the back unless in a door of a 4 door car. I dont think you will be happy with the sound of 6.5's in the rear deck because they will not make even close to the bass you have now. The cone size of the 6 x 9 speaker is closer to an 8" woofer than a 6.5" thats why i would recommend those. Oh i almost forgot, with the seperates having a crossover and 2 seperate speakers, you only use 1 set of inputs instead of 2, the crossover converts the one set into 2 sets with the correct crossover points so that each speaker driver plays in its own frequency range that it was made for. So you would need a seperate digital sound processor (DSP) to bi-amp the seperates, and trust me you dont wanna do that.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:52 PM   #12
mchaggis

That explains it nicely. Looks like I’ll have a set of adapters for sale shortly.

What are the best adapters to use for mounting the Sony’s you’ve suggested?
These look to be 4ohm? What 2ohm ones would you suggest?

Last edited by mchaggis; 08-29-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:05 PM   #13
mbober99

[QUOTE=mchaggis;10297011]That explains it nicely. Looks like I’ll have a set of adapters for sale shortly.

What are the best adapters to use for mounting the Sony’s you’ve suggested? Are these 2 ohm?[/QUOT

These adapters would work fine. https://www.amazon.com/2010-2015-Che.../dp/B01GVTZKTO The sonys are 4 ohm drivers, which will work fine. One thing i forgot to mention about the sonys, is if they kind of sound not right, you may need to bypass the crossovers on them. They are glued to bottom of speakers. Your amplifier in the car does have a built in electronic crossover that should work well for the sonys.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:50 PM   #14
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbober99 View Post
Woofer and tweeter with a crossover are basically called seperates, but....the 6 x 9's will give you WAYYYY more bass capability than the 6.5's. Im guessing the adapters you ordered fit the 6.5's in the 6 x 9 hole? There is a much larger choice of 6.5's compared to the 6x9's, but you will miss that bass if you dont add a subwoofer. I myself would never put 6.5's in the back unless in a door of a 4 door car. I dont think you will be happy with the sound of 6.5's in the rear deck because they will not make even close to the bass you have now. The cone size of the 6 x 9 speaker is closer to an 8" woofer than a 6.5" thats why i would recommend those. Oh i almost forgot, with the seperates having a crossover and 2 seperate speakers, you only use 1 set of inputs instead of 2, the crossover converts the one set into 2 sets with the correct crossover points so that each speaker driver plays in its own frequency range that it was made for. So you would need a seperate digital sound processor (DSP) to bi-amp the seperates, and trust me you dont wanna do that.
I couldn't disagree more.
I will never ever use 6x9s anywhere in a car. There are many threads about this. If you do go 6x9s go cheap because they are not worth it.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote