Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 04-27-2020, 03:59 PM   #1
Tomsusername

Drives: Velvet Blue Metallic 2015 1SS 1LE
Staggered Tire Sizes: What's Your Experience on Track?

Hey guys. I decided to downsize the wheel setup on my 2015 1LE. Apex has had a sale going for the past month, so I broke down and picked up a set of Camaro-specific ARC-8's (19x10/11).

To preserve factory handling characteristics, the no-brainer tire size to fit to these would be a square set of 285/35/19's. However, I couldn't help but notice that the GT350's OEM tires, (295/35/19 and 305/35/19), would probably fit these wheels, too.

Compared to a 285/35/19 of the same make, these sizes would offer an increase in both contact patch and sidewall. In theory, running these sizes would lead to increased front end grip, improved ride quality, and reduce speedometer error. (All things that appeal to me considering that my car is a daily on Boston roads, but also sees track and auto-x time.)

Despite these potential upsides, I'm aware that one of the keys to making a 5th-gen handel is running a square setup. With that being said, I'd like to ask the people who have tracked their car's on a staggered set of tires how the experience was. Compared to a square setup, did anyone notice an intrusive or frustrating amount of understeer?

(Also, I'm aware that there are only a hand-full of tires offered in 305/35/19. Regardless of the size I pick, I'd like to try a set of either Michelin PSS's {OEM GT350 tire} or PS4S's, so it's a non-issue. I'm also aware that running 4 295/35/19's is an option, but this may increase speedometer error when compared to the rear 305/35's.)
Tomsusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 06:26 PM   #2
jksynergy

Drives: 11 SW SYNERGY SERIES/14 1SS 1LE
To be honest, the more square the setup the better. As there is understeer built into the car already, the square setup keeps that in check. Think your idea of the 295/35 or even a 305/30-35 would be good. The overall diameter will not be that much different from stock. If the front and rear are very close in diameter you will not have any ABS or traction control problems. I've run square since day one with 4 different sets of wheels and tires. From 275/35's to 295/30's on 10's and 11's without issues. A larger rear sway bar will also help. 32mm rear with stock front will work just fine.

Sent from my SM-T377T using Tapatalk

2014 1SS 1LE. Bama, sporting Red Rock Metallic demon's horns, when we are ready to get naughty and open a can of whoopass! Airaid, Spectre, Xpel,Bowler shifter Peddars, UMI, Ult Perf. Diode Dynamics, JRE Tune, XS Power battery,
Hooker Headers Blackheart exhaust,Powerbrake
InstaGram & Twitter: @jlouie62
FB: hangtimeracing
jksynergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 08:52 PM   #3
Tomsusername

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksynergy View Post
To be honest, the more square the setup the better. As there is understeer built into the car already, the square setup keeps that in check. Think your idea of the 295/35 or even a 305/30-35 would be good. The overall diameter will not be that much different from stock. If the front and rear are very close in diameter you will not have any ABS or traction control problems. I've run square since day one with 4 different sets of wheels and tires. From 275/35's to 295/30's on 10's and 11's without issues. A larger rear sway bar will also help. 32mm rear with stock front will work just fine.
Thanks for the input! It kinda helps to solidify that, for handling, you really wanna go square. I'm still on the fence if I wanna do staggered or 295 square based on track vs. street manners. I do however realize that, from a driver's standpoint, a square setup is the "right" choice.

Honestly, if I could go 305/35/19's all around, I would. But I'm well aware that running a 305 on a 10 inch front wheel probably isn't the best idea.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:03 PM   #4
jksynergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsusername View Post
Thanks for the input! It kinda helps to solidify that, for handling, you really wanna go square. I'm still on the fence if I wanna do staggered or 295 square based on track vs. street manners. I do however realize that, from a driver's standpoint, a square setup is the "right" choice.

Honestly, if I could go 305/35/19's all around, I would. But I'm well aware that running a 305 on a 10 inch front wheel probably isn't the best idea.
No problem. I know alot of folks jam a 305 on a 10" wheel but you have to watch tire rub on the strut. Of course you may also sacrifice camber to prevent the rubbing which is not what we want. What i have found interesting is the difference in tire brands for the same width. I have a set of Nitto NT 555G2 mounted on 10's now. My stock Goodyear's unmounted are a total of 3" wider when all 4 are stacked next to each other. They are both 285/35`s. Glad the Nitto`s were a steal of a price. I'm just going to try and burn them up and get rid of them. They have one day of track time and they were 4-5 seconds slower than the Goodyear's. Ya live and learn.

2014 1SS 1LE. Bama, sporting Red Rock Metallic demon's horns, when we are ready to get naughty and open a can of whoopass! Airaid, Spectre, Xpel,Bowler shifter Peddars, UMI, Ult Perf. Diode Dynamics, JRE Tune, XS Power battery,
Old 05-05-2020, 09:00 AM   #5
toyzforme

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS/RS Inferno Orang
When I bought my Camaro it had the Nitto 555 (I think that was what they were), and it pushed so hard in the corners that by the end of the weekend the tires were done. So I put some Michelin Pilot Super Sport on with 245/35 on the front and -2 degrees of camber, and I still pushed like crazy and ended up cording the tires in one day. I have since gone back to stock settings until I figure out how to get the car not to push so much. I'm probably due tires again here soon so wondering if I should go with a 275 all around or maybe a 285
toyzforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 12:01 PM   #6
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
I'm running 275/40/20 Nexen SUR4G 100 treadwear grippy meats all around and the traction is insane.

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 12:28 PM   #7
jksynergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSEssence View Post
I'm running 275/40/20 Nexen SUR4G 100 treadwear grippy meats all around and the traction is insane.
Are those the drag radials for the Hellcat you are running?

Old 05-05-2020, 08:04 PM   #8
jksynergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyzforme View Post
When I bought my Camaro it had the Nitto 555 (I think that was what they were), and it pushed so hard in the corners that by the end of the weekend the tires were done. So I put some Michelin Pilot Super Sport on with 245/35 on the front and -2 degrees of camber, and I still pushed like crazy and ended up cording the tires in one day. I have since gone back to stock settings until I figure out how to get the car not to push so much. I'm probably due tires again here soon so wondering if I should go with a 275 all around or maybe a 285
I would agree with going to the 275 or 285. 245 is way too narrow for the car.

Old 05-06-2020, 08:22 PM   #9
toyzforme

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS/RS Inferno Orang
Quote:
I would agree with going to the 275 or 285. 245 is way too narrow for the car.

If you go much wider than 255 on the front rims, I would think you have to get different rims as they can't handle wider tires. I would love to go 275 all around but don't have money for different rims.
toyzforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:46 PM   #10
jksynergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyzforme View Post
If you go much wider than 255 on the front rims, I would think you have to get different rims as they can't handle wider tires. I would love to go 275 all around but don't have money for different rims.
I understand. If anything, and for less money than a set of wheels, look into getting a larger rear sway bar. That will help with the understeer issue also.

Old 05-27-2020, 11:19 PM   #11
Tomsusername

Thumbs up

Quote:
No problem. I know alot of folks jam a 305 on a 10" wheel but you have to watch tire rub on the strut. Of course you may also sacrifice camber to prevent the rubbing which is not what we want. What i have found interesting is the difference in tire brands for the same width. I have a set of Nitto NT 555G2 mounted on 10's now. My stock Goodyear's unmounted are a total of 3" wider when all 4 are stacked next to each other. They are both 285/35`s. Glad the Nitto`s were a steal of a price. I'm just going to try and burn them up and get rid of them. They have one day of track time and they were 4-5 seconds slower than the Goodyear's. Ya live and learn.
By the way. If anyone's curious, I made my decision, mounted everything up, and learned a few things.

I ended up going with a square set of 295/35/19 PS4S's. Thanks for helping to push me toward a square stance, jksynergy!

Early impressions: The car rides better than it ever has. Probably a function of the Michelin's road manors, and the slightly larger sidewall of a 295/35 vs the stock 1LE size. The tire compound combined with the extra width, and reduction in unsprung weight makes the car feel significantly more eager to react to any input. High speed stability has also greatly improved. Honestly, the only advantage I could see to running that 305/35 in the rear would be a slight reduction in an already subtle speedometer error. (Car currently reads 87mph when a gps confirms 85mph).

Also wanted to comment about putting a 305 on a 10 inch front wheel. My front wheels are 19x10 ET20. Even with a 295/35 PS4S, I can still fit my hand between the wheel/tire and front strut. If anyone out there wants to try fitting a 305/35/19 PSS on a rim with these same measurements, I'd be willing to bet money that it would fit on the front without rubbing.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:13 AM   #12
MPrento84

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Last time on the track, I was running 275/305 staggered setup on street tires. Now I have a 2010 SS, but upgraded to the FE4 suspension geometry and increased the rear sway bar to the 1LE bar, and kept the small front bar. That changed the balance drastically for the better, and I'm a tad loose even with the staggered tires. Turn in is excellent with this set up, but the 1LE has a bigger front sway bar and may favor a square set up if its stock.
MPrento84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:34 AM   #13
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Are those the drag radials for the Hellcat you are running?

Yup they come standard on the challenger 1320 drag editions, great tire!

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 01:13 PM   #14
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I have 2010 SS running a front 1LE sway and JPSS 32mm rear bar with 1LE wheel widths and offset with Nitto 555G2 285’s all around and the car is pretty quick in stock trim motor wise. The Nitto’s are a 320 tread wear so not going to be a fast tire your GY G2’s will be much quicker since they are a 220 TW.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote