Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-16-2009, 02:37 PM   #57
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
The Lacrosse (now called Lacrosse in Canada ) is the first car that I saw where I liked it in white. It was also the first new buick design I've liked in my life. The Regal looks alright to me, but won't this make for two midsized sedans in their lineup?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:43 PM   #58
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy View Post
The age demographic for Buick and Mercury has historically been above 60. They are the scion of the retirement home parking lots. Buick made news a few years ago when the Enclave was targeting the 55 and younger territory.

I'm 51 now, midlife crisis in full swing, and the thought of being seen in anything bearing the Buick nameplate is unthinkable. I would fight it tooth and nail, trying to hang on to my youth that is slowly slipping from my grasp. My 24 y.o daughter would buy the LaCrosse, but not if its a Buick. She probably would turn into a Pontiac lot and buy one....but alas its too late

Perception is everything in the automotive industry. Brands are associated with demographics. Buick since the late 70's has been associated with the older crowd. I don't know how GM can change the image to appeal to a 30 something market........I don't think it can be done

Why not? They already did that move with Caddies. They can/are doing it right now with Buicks.

As dumb as it might sound, GM put a new LaCrosse in that TV show "The Good Wife" with the chick from ER. My wife watched the show, saw Julianna whatserface driving the car and now she is dead set on ordering one this spring.

She asked me as she was watching the show "Lance, what car is THAT!?" I told her what it was, she went "THATS a Buick?" and the rest was history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:58 PM   #59
cliffy
Chevy Power Forever

Drives: 1969 Dusk Blue Z/28, 2015 Red Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
Why not? They already did that move with Caddies. They can/are doing it right now with Buicks.

As dumb as it might sound, GM put a new LaCrosse in that TV show "The Good Wife" with the chick from ER. My wife watched the show, saw Julianna whatserface driving the car and now she is dead set on ordering one this spring.

She asked me as she was watching the show "Lance, what car is THAT!?" I told her what it was, she went "THATS a Buick?" and the rest was history.

Here is the conundrum as I see it. GM needs to sell cars and fast. Caddy's transformation into a younger brand was easier, as it always was a car your rich uncle drove, and always stood for American luxury. Buick lately has been driven by blue haired little old ladies you honk at as you pulled around them to get past. Back in the mid 80's Buick turbo 6 engines raced at Indy, been a long time since then.

I wish them the best, but you should not have to surprise people by by saying "thats a Buick???" I look at a Vette or a new Camaro and say "now thats a Chevy baby!!" Big difference.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:10 PM   #60
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Here is the conundrum as I see it. GM needs to sell cars and fast. Caddy's transformation into a younger brand was easier, as it always was a car your rich uncle drove, and always stood for American luxury. Buick lately has been driven by blue haired little old ladies you honk at as you pulled around them to get past. Back in the mid 80's Buick turbo 6 engines raced at Indy, been a long time since then.

I wish them the best, but you should not have to surprise people by by saying "thats a Buick???" I look at a Vette or a new Camaro and say "now thats a Chevy baby!!" Big difference.
How can they change the brand's perception without surprising the public? Slowly lower the intended demographic by a decade with every redesign?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 10-16-2009, 03:13 PM   #61
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
The Lacrosse (now called Lacrosse in Canada ) is the first car that I saw where I liked it in white. It was also the first new buick design I've liked in my life. The Regal looks alright to me, but won't this make for two midsized sedans in their lineup?
Yes, but you need to think about it this way.

Regal replaces last-gen LaCrosse.

2010 LaCrosse replaces Lucerne.

Lucerne dies in 2010.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:32 PM   #62
cliffy
Chevy Power Forever

Drives: 1969 Dusk Blue Z/28, 2015 Red Z/28
Quote:
How can they change the brand's perception without surprising the public? Slowly lower the intended demographic by a decade with every redesign?

I hope I'm not looked at as a tool, just trying to think aloud and debate how to keep our beloved GM strong. If both of these cars were Pontiacs (and the brand had not lawn darted in GMs eyes) it would be an easier sell, just so they didn't call that darn things G2 thru 8 (another blunder)
Old 10-16-2009, 03:34 PM   #63
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Some new info coming in...

There's a sport model in the works. Possibly named GS. 280 HP, 3.6L SIDI V6, 19" wheels, Brembo brakes, optional AWD, possible 6-speed manual...
Old 10-16-2009, 03:42 PM   #64
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
I hope I'm not looked at as a tool, just trying to think aloud and debate how to keep our beloved GM strong. If both of these cars were Pontiacs (and the brand had not lawn darted in GMs eyes) it would be an easier sell, just so they didn't call that darn things G2 thru 8 (another blunder)
Maybe, maybe not. Its a lot easier to convince a Lexus buyer to look at a Buick than a Pontiac. I agree the G# system was dumb, particularly the G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post

There's a sport model in the works. Possibly named GS. 280 HP, 3.6L SIDI V6, 19" wheels, Brembo brakes, optional AWD, possible 6-speed manual...
Just saw that. Interesting possibilities for that car ...

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 10-16-2009, 08:59 PM   #65
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post

Oooo... Buick GS...

I likes me a GS...
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:17 AM   #66
ArcAngel

Drives: 07 Black Cobalt SS/SC
Send a message via AIM to ArcAngel
regal will be sweet especially in 2.0T
Old 10-17-2009, 12:19 AM   #67
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Agreed. That 2.0T engine is one nice powerplant.
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:22 AM   #68
ArcAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthos View Post
Agreed. That 2.0T engine is one nice powerplant.
- X
yea I had it in the cobalt SS and had a version of it in my saab 9-3 sweet sweet engine! I dont even know why there gonna bother with the 3.6 I would just up the boost!!!

2.0t 220 hp 220 lb ft
2.0T 280 hp 260 lb ft

Lighter weight over the front wheels probably a 52/ 48 weight split better mpg than the 6 no brainer!

Can I get an Amen??
Old 10-17-2009, 12:27 AM   #69
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcAngel View Post
yea I had it in the cobalt SS and had a version of it in my saab 9-3 sweet sweet engine! I dont even know why there gonna bother with the 3.6 I would just up the boost!!!

2.0t 220 hp 220 lb ft
2.0T 280 hp 260 lb ft

Lighter weight over the front wheels probably a 52/ 48 weight split better mpg than the 6 no brainer!

Can I get an Amen??
Noise, vibrations, and harshness probably. For a luxury car its better to have a V6 than an I4, and V8 over a V6.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 10-17-2009, 12:31 AM   #70
ArcAngel

Quote:
Noise, vibrations, and harshness probably. For a luxury car its better to have a V6 than an I4, and V8 over a V6.
I dont know man , Acura TSX 4 cyl, Audi A4 4 cyl, VW CC 4 cyl,Saab 9-3 4cyl from what I here C-class gonna offer a new kompressor 4 cyl and 3 series getting a TT4 cyl model called GT. Four cyl are not the same as they used to be plus with the proper gearing, engine mounts, sound deadening material etc etc all that is alleviated. MPG goes up weight goes down win win