Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #43
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdblan2 View Post
I'd be LIVID if a $300 worth of pads (front and back) sounded like that, especially when they advertise no noise (assuming they've been bedded properly).
Is that noise normal for HP+ pads? Because my problem is 100% as it sounds and as described the BMW owner in the video. I found that the rotos have grooves and I'm still waiting to swap them, my fingers are crossed that will solve my problem.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:20 PM   #44
Chris_B

Drives: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
Is that noise normal for HP+ pads? Because my problem is 100% as it sounds and as described the BMW owner in the video. I found that the rotos have grooves and I'm still waiting to swap them, my fingers are crossed that will solve my problem.
HP Plus pads are not advertised to be quiet. They are auto-cross / light track day pads that are streetable, but they do dust like hell and make some noise. Add to that the fact that grooved rotors themselves cause a significant increase in brake squeal, and you will have all the neighbors knowing exactly when you get home.
Chris_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:52 AM   #45
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey

Drives: TT/SS
My HPS pads do the same thing and I will not be buying them again
Old 01-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #46
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Update - I've been waiting before I post and since its been almost 2 weeks with virtually no break squeal I thinks its time to post an update. As I mentioned the noise was insanely loud. I took the car in to swap in Racing Brake rotors, I sanded the pad surface, and then went through the bed-in procedures. WOW, what a difference. The breaks barely make any noise now, just a ever so slight squeal which is hardly noticable. I'm very happy now, thanks for your help.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #47
elsololobo02

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Brake bedding procedures.

I used this procedure on the Hawk Performance HP Plus pads (not the HPS) and it did the trick. They were squealing like crazy and had new rotors put on at the same times as the pads. I have dimpled/slotted rotors. I tried to use the Hawk bed in procedures three times with no avail. Use this one and you will be happy. Do it just like it says with no deviations!! No squeaks or any noises for that matter anymore!!

Bedding The Pads - (NEVER DRAG the brakes)
Note: Never “Bed” pads on rotors, which have not first been “Seasoned.” Always allow a substantial coast down zone when bedding pads that will allow you to safely drive the car to a stop in the event of fade.

Perform four-repeated light to medium stops, from 65 to 10 mph, to bring the rotors to temperature.
Perform three light stops in succession. Perform eight heavy stops, back to back, at a point just pending wheel lock, from 65 mph to about 5 mph.
Drive for ten minutes to create cooling airflow, without using the brakes if at all possible.
Perform three light stops in succession. Perform eight heavy stops, back to back, at a point just pending wheel lock, from 65 mph
to about 5 mph.
Drive for ten minutes to create cooling airflow, without using the brakes if at all possible.

Last edited by elsololobo02; 01-07-2012 at 09:03 PM.
elsololobo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #48
CooG
RIP - Convertible SS

Drives: '13 Mustang Boss 302 - RED
Just had the hawk HPS pads installed yesterday. Did not do it as much for performance, but to reduce brake dust. Very rainy day in Houston yesterday so bedding the pads was not possible. This morning, I went out and performed some hard stops.... 3 from 35mph to 5mph, then 3 from about 60mph to 5mph. Brakes did not squeal....until about 5 minutes later.

WOW! Where are the earplugs!

Looks like I need to go back out and try the method mentioned above. I'll report back tomorrow or so.
CooG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:25 AM   #49
Gene Culley
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 SS
Smile

The Hawk pads are so unpredicatable. I put the Peformance Ceramic on my 2010 Camaro SS. I did the proper bed in procedure with brand new rotors and they squeal so loud it sounds like a bus stopping. It is extremely embarrasing. I put them on my 2011 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible. They squealed as soon as I put them on but after the bed in procedure they haven't made a noise since. And seriously on the Camaro, the brake dust from the ceramics is worse than stock. I'm going back to GM pads. I won't have to live with as much dust and I won't have to do multiple bed in procedures to get them to stop sounding like a bus stopping.
Gene Culley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #50
TCorzett
Fish out of Water

Drives: Pontiac G8 GT
Good info on the bedding process.

-Todd...
TCorzett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #51
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Wow I didn't realize how many others had this issue. Sounding like a bus coming to a stop is exactly spot on how they sound. I'm a little pissed at the unpredictability of the pads. If you guys remember my post starting this thread, I was not aware of the bedding process and drove around with the pads like that for a couple weeks before I bedded them. I was sure this was the cause of my problems. BUT my friend got some pads for his mustang and the same thing happened. He didn't bed them properly - he didn't bed them at all and his car doesn't squeek. I'm so pissed lol soon as I get my income tax I think I'm going back to stock pads. I'm going to look for a good set of slotted rotors while I'm at it.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:20 PM   #52
rdblan2

Drives: 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Culley View Post
The Hawk pads are so unpredicatable. I put the Peformance Ceramic on my 2010 Camaro SS. I did the proper bed in procedure with brand new rotors and they squeal so loud it sounds like a bus stopping. It is extremely embarrasing. I put them on my 2011 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible. They squealed as soon as I put them on but after the bed in procedure they haven't made a noise since. And seriously on the Camaro, the brake dust from the ceramics is worse than stock. I'm going back to GM pads. I won't have to live with as much dust and I won't have to do multiple bed in procedures to get them to stop sounding like a bus stopping.
Same thing I've heard a number of times. I'd rather deal with the dust than the squeeling. I wanted to swap pads when I change rotors but this thread and a number of other complaints I've heard will likely keep me on the stock pads.

I've used Wagner Thermoquiets on other vehicles and they've been great. Wonder how they'd do on the Camaro?
Old 01-17-2012, 08:45 AM   #53
Blkcamaro757

Drives: 2010 camaro RS SS 6speed
I was about to buy the cermaric Pads but I guess I'll just pay the extra money for stock pads and have dealer fix anything that goes wrong. Don't feel like running into all the problems people had or have.
Blkcamaro757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:40 AM   #54
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
Which Hawk pads did you buy? I bought the ones in the yellow box. I've had them on my SS for 20K miles and they haven't squealed at all.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #55
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
HPS. Came in a blue box iirc.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:27 AM   #56
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by scythezo6 View Post
HPS. Came in a blue box iirc.
You used the wrong pads.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote