Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 03-02-2008, 05:27 PM   #1
Mike88

Drives: 94 Camaro, 05 Magnum
buying a car from another province

I'm looking to purchase a used car in Ontario, but I plan to have it registered in Quebec. Anyone know what its like buying a vehicle in one province and bringing it back to another? Will I have to pay provincial sales tax on the vehicle in both provinces?

Also, has anyone ever bought a vehicle from Repodepo (off of the QEW near IKEA) in Toronto, and if so can you tell me if its worthwhile?
Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:29 AM   #2
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike88 View Post
I'm looking to purchase a used car in Ontario, but I plan to have it registered in Quebec. Anyone know what its like buying a vehicle in one province and bringing it back to another? Will I have to pay provincial sales tax on the vehicle in both provinces?

Also, has anyone ever bought a vehicle from Repodepo (off of the QEW near IKEA) in Toronto, and if so can you tell me if its worthwhile?
I assume that there won't be any problems 'importing' a car from ontario into quebec. They don't have border gaurds, yet. But all the same, look into the applicable info. You can probably find it somewhere in here http://www.mtq.gouv.qc.ca/portal/page/portal/accueil_en
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:11 PM   #3
NG67

Drives: 67 camaro
I have purchased one of my cars in BC.2002 Camaro And one in Alberta, I had to pay the GST at that location, then I signed a waver stating that my residence was in Manitoba. I put on temp insurance and drove home. There I paid the PST and on the used car I did an out of province inspection. It went good.
NG67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:35 AM   #4
juicy ss

Drives: 1999 HOSS Conv & 2010 IOM SS
Ihear alot of repo depots stuff isn't anything special and hear of alot of over priced junk from some people. Just what i've heard. Most dealers are scared of out of province sales especially to quebec will be exported so they are very particular about selling out of province. at least it was that way when i was selling new c5 vettes.
juicy ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:32 AM   #5
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Stuff like this is done everyday here in Ottawa. In fact, I am buying my Camaro in Quebec eventhough I live in Ontario. What happens is the dealership will charge me the provincial tax.

Since Repot Depot may not be familiar with the process, I suspect they will only charge you GST (assuming you give them a Quebec address as place of residence). You will have to pay your Quebec taxes when you go to get your Quebec plates.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:55 PM   #6
superchargedman

Drives: RSX typeS
Has anyone bought new, out of province? I plan to pick up the camaro from Montreal and bring it back to AB. I saw that the dealer can plate it temporarily, but do I have to register it in Quebec, or can I just drive as long as I have insurance on it? The other issue is that I'll be stopping back home in ON for a few weeks. Is there a time-sensitive aspect to this process? Thanks!
superchargedman is offline   Reply With Quote