Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
GFD70 SS

Drives: Chevy Trailblazer SS
ZL1 Hood Insert

Can anyone post up-close photos of both versions of the Carbon Fiber insert (exposed vs. painted). I did a quick search but couldn't find any good comparison photos. Thanks!
GFD70 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1

Google images is your friend there are tons.

the exposed carbon looks good on all colors IMO. the ashen gray looks good on certain colors. It does not look as good to me on red, orange, ashen gray, yellow. Looks decent on black, white. have not seen it on silver yet but it might look good becaue there is still a ton of contrast.

on a black car I would be conflicted. all other colors I would roll the exposed carbon.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned

Last edited by hognutz; 05-01-2013 at 02:25 PM.
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
owhite3003
Z-BEAST

Drives: 2013 JDP ZL-850 Track Spec ZL1,
Installed the clear one on my 2013 and like it a lot better.
owhite3003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
littlecammi

Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
I have never been a fan of replacing various interior and exterior trim pieces with carbon fiber parts, especially the stick-on kind. Because of this it was my initial thought to order my 2013 IOM ZL1 with the standard grey insert. But my friend Mark felt the ECF was so much better that there was no comparison between the two. So I placed my order with the ECF insert (and the bright 5-spoke wheels). I'm so glad that I did because it looks fanatastic with the ECF.
littlecammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
tsnow

Drives: 12' ZL1, AGM 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by owhite3003 View Post
Installed the clear one on my 2013 and like it a lot better.

Clear, as in see through?

Got a pic of that?
tsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
littlecammi

Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsnow View Post
Clear as in see through?
Pretty sure he meant clear-coat over ECF. All hood inserts are carbon fiber. They're either painted grey metallic or clear-coated so you actually see the carbon fiber. ECF is more expensive because it can't be flawed (they can still use flawed inserts by painting them grey) and I read that the clear coat used over carbon fiber is very expensive (it has a UV-protectant to keep the carbon fiber looking good).
littlecammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
RoadMonkey
that's how we do it

Drives: '20 ZL1 / A10 Shadow Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post

Google images is your friend there are tons.

the exposed carbon looks good on all colors IMO. the ashen gray looks good on certain colors. It does not look as good to me on red, orange, ashen gray, yellow. Looks decent on black, white. have not seen it on silver yet but it might look good becaue there is still a ton of contrast.

on a black car I would be conflicted. all other colors I would roll the exposed carbon.
Nice work there ! and I agree on the black car conflict and CF on all the other colors. Until I saw it on the black hood I was 100% ECF.
[COLOR=#ff0000][COLOR=black]'02 Camaro SS/SLP 6spd
RoadMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #8
silverds
2015 SS 6M

Drives: 2015 SS 6M
Due to constraint I was unable to order the ECF insert. I was disappointed at first, having an AGM ZL1 with an AGM insert, but have been ecstatic ever since delivery.

While the painted insert doesn't get the same "Wow, that's cool" response that the ECF does, from all angles other than directly above, the inserts are virtually indistinguishable due to the reflection of the clear. Without the ECF, there's really no temptation or need for me to use HydroDip or vinyl "carbon fiber" to complement the "theme".

Besides that, I have an "option" that no 2012 ZL1 has, and only a few 2013 ZL1's, a body colored insert from the factory.

I don't care about "someday" value, but even for right now it's rare. Most people that know anything about the ZL1 are expecting an ECF insert. When they see a body color insert they assume it's custom, when I tell them it came that way, I get a great "Whoa, that's cool!" response.

If you can forgive the "whoring", here are some of my pics of AGM ZL1 with the AGM insert.

Last edited by silverds; 05-01-2013 at 05:09 PM.
silverds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
GFD70 SS

Drives: Chevy Trailblazer SS
Thanks for the help!! I plan on ordering a '14 ZL1 in white. I was debating on which way to go but I'm leaning towards the grey insert.
GFD70 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #10
jbotta

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverds View Post
Due to constraint I was unable to order the ECF insert. I was disappointed at first, having an AGM ZL1 with an AGM insert, but have been ecstatic ever since delivery.

While the painted insert doesn't get the same "Wow, that's cool" response that the ECF does, from all angles other than directly above, the inserts are virtually indistinguishable due to the reflection of the clear. There's really no temptation or need for me to use HydroDip or vinyl "carbon fiber" to complement the "theme".

Besides that, I have an "option" that no 2012 ZL1 has, and only a few 2013 ZL1's, a body colored insert from the factory.

I don't care about "someday" value, but even for right now it's rare. Most people that know anything about the ZL1 are expecting an ECF insert. When they see a body color insert they assume it's custom, when I tell them it came that way, I get a great "Whoa, that's cool!" response.

If you can forgive the "whoring", here are some of my pics of AGM ZL1 with the AGM insert.

GREAT PICS
jbotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #11
jbotta

Drives: Camaro ZL1
CAR LOOKS AWESOME.
jbotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #12
silverds
2015 SS 6M

Drives: 2015 SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbotta View Post
GREAT PICS CAR LOOKS AWESOME.
Thanks. I love your track vids and pics.

I always wish you had 10 spokes so I could watch and pretend it's "my car" tearing up the track. LOL
Old 05-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #13
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecammi View Post
I have never been a fan of replacing various interior and exterior trim pieces with carbon fiber parts, especially the stick-on kind. Because of this it was my initial thought to order my 2013 IOM ZL1 with the standard grey insert. But my friend Mark felt the ECF was so much better that there was no comparison between the two. So I placed my order with the ECF insert (and the bright 5-spoke wheels). I'm so glad that I did because it looks fanatastic with the ECF.
I agree, I don't go out of my way for the carbon fiber look. I have a friend with a SS that puts fake carbon fiber anywhere on his car he can, real too like his splitter, but he has carbon fiber sticker on the spoiler and I don't get that.

I didn't order my car, wasn't in position to. So it came how it did which was with ECF insert, so I hadn't put much thought into it, but the car as a whole gets a lot of looks and comments, people that don't know what it is assume I had some custom done to a regular Camaro, I tell them nope, it came like that
Old 05-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #14
Chief Bob

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 SIM CTF Car M6
Flat Black Insert

Chief Bob is offline   Reply With Quote