Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-30-2009, 02:06 PM   #1
Bbrock25

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS Inferno Orange
Parking

So whenever I park, I always put it in neutral, and pull on the E-brake. However my dad has drove it a few times, and always leaves it in 1st, and it tends to roll up an inch or two, like any auto trans would w/o using the E-brake. My question is, well I don't think once or twice is gonna hurt anything, but either way N w/ Ebrake, or 1st w/o it will it do any damage or hurt the longevity of the tranny?

I live in Ky, and it tends to get pretty cold here in the winter (the coldest is like 10 or so which only happens a handful of times (nov-feb), but the normal is 20-35) and my dad says pulling the E-brake when it gets cold it will freeze up n stuff?
Bbrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
jpsuperman81
Yep I'm back!

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 1SS 1LE
I think for safety you should use ebrake and 1st or reverse depending on incline. Some people swear by parking in gear, I have always been a ebrake only person but some people have mentoned that not holding the camaro unless you make sure you pull it until it fully clicks, I been using brake and gear lately just to get into habit.
jpsuperman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:35 PM   #3
Bbrock25

I see, I park pretty much in the dead level lol.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
Timberline

Drives: 2010 SS/RS,LS3,M6,VR
1st no e-brake will be fine, the car won't go anywhere.
Your dad is correct using e-brake in the winter will more than likely freeze in one possition or the other, I have seen this happen.
You really only need th e-brake when you park on a hill or slight grade.
If you insist on using the e-brake put in 1st not nuetral.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:47 PM   #5
Dan3
Captain of the Failboat

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
On level ground w/e, but on an incline put it in gear. The E-brake alone will not hold this car. I have always parked in neutral with the ebrake on in previous cars, but yesterday broke me of that.
My driveway has a moderate incline and yesterday my ebrake let go. The car had been parked for around 5min, and I had gone in and got a screwdriver to put my new license plate holder on. As I was taking off the plastic I heard a pop and the Camaro rolled right back into me. Luckily I was outside and standing right behind the car to stop it, otherwise my car would have been sitting in the middle of the road.
Produced - 10 August 2009 : #34143
Delivered - 25 August 2009
Dan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:37 PM   #6
Bbrock25

Alright thanks guys.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:53 PM   #7
crzycicada

Drives: 2SS/RS/LS3
Interesting stuff. For the manuals I've owned in the past, I've never parked in gear and just relied on my emergency brake. After reading this thread plus the manual, I'm definitely going to rethink things (even though it's flat here in Houston!).

The manual says for manual transmissions, "shift lever into reverse and then apply the parking brake. With the clutch still pressed in, then turn off the engine."

Order date: 7/17/09
3000 TPW: 8/17/09
3400 status on 8/11/09
3800: 8/21/09
4200: 8/24/09 on rail car ETTX850796
5000/6000: 9/2/09
crzycicada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 02:04 PM   #8
halo8hkk

Drives: 2000 Z28. 2010 1SS IMB.
this is just a habit but i put it in 1st and set the e-brake. untill 2 months a go when i broke my drive shaft and took out my ebrake. now i just leave it in 1st.

2010 1SS/RS = Mysstique
Whipple Supercharger
Dyno= 618hp 555tq at the wheels
IMB Silver Stripes
VIN#44025
Born: 9/9/09 Delivered: 9/28/09
halo8hkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:40 AM   #9
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
I live in Boston and I use the E-brake all year long when parking and it does not freeze up or stick even in our harsh, snowy, sub zero winters. The reason for using the E-brake is that on a hill you can get a condition called "torque lock" with the automatic where the transmission will not be able to be shifted out of park. If this happens, you must have a couple of people push the car slightly up the hill to unload the transmission. It is kind of like what happens to your steering wheel when you force it to lock with the key removed and you must turn it slightly to unlock it. The right way to park an automatic, is to hold the car with the brake, set the E-brake, then put the car into park. When driving off, start the car, step on the brake, put the car into gear, then release the E-brake. This info is in the owners manual.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:33 PM   #10
beowulf80

Drives: 2010 2SS / RS MT, IBM
I use both a gear and the parking brake. Personally I use 4th gear. My logic: If its hard to turn the wheels in 1st, it'll be even harder in 4th. Additionally if you forget either you're still got the other going for you.

Also, its called a parking brake instead of an e-brake for a reason. =] And there is truth that you do have to make sure that the lever is all the way up, anything less will not hold you on an incline.

Just something fun to consider: Why do people call it an emergency brake? What emergency was ever resolved by locking up your rear tires? Or is it called this because a crazy g/f suddenly yanking on it at 60 MPH will send you to the emergency room? I'd personally call it a Fun-In-Snow-Brake. Or maybe I-Want-To-Spin-Out-brake
beowulf80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:36 AM   #11
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
I always leave in in R and put the parking brake on. That way the habit is there so you don't drain your battery by leaving it other gears when you take a break from driving your car.

I always use the parking brake with cars in gear for all manual transmissions. Like described above, it could pop out of gear, your kid hits the shifter crawling around, etc. and the bad boy starts rolling away.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:53 AM   #12
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf80 View Post
I use both a gear and the parking brake. Personally I use 4th gear. My logic: If its hard to turn the wheels in 1st, it'll be even harder in 4th. Additionally if you forget either you're still got the other going for you.

Also, its called a parking brake instead of an e-brake for a reason. =] And there is truth that you do have to make sure that the lever is all the way up, anything less will not hold you on an incline.

Just something fun to consider: Why do people call it an emergency brake? What emergency was ever resolved by locking up your rear tires? Or is it called this because a crazy g/f suddenly yanking on it at 60 MPH will send you to the emergency room? I'd personally call it a Fun-In-Snow-Brake. Or maybe I-Want-To-Spin-Out-brake
Don't leave it in 4th, always use 1st or reverse. If you use 4th, it can roll easier, not harder. 4th is 1:1 ratio, meaning one rev driveline= one revolution of the engine. 1st gear is 3.01:1 ratio, meaning one rev driveline= 3 revolutions engine. Reverse is the best at 3.28:1 ratio. Get it.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:21 AM   #13
mnywstr

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDAN View Post
I live in Boston and I use the E-brake all year long when parking and it does not freeze up or stick even in our harsh, snowy, sub zero winters. The reason for using the E-brake is that on a hill you can get a condition called "torque lock" with the automatic where the transmission will not be able to be shifted out of park. If this happens, you must have a couple of people push the car slightly up the hill to unload the transmission. It is kind of like what happens to your steering wheel when you force it to lock with the key removed and you must turn it slightly to unlock it. The right way to park an automatic, is to hold the car with the brake, set the E-brake, then put the car into park. When driving off, start the car, step on the brake, put the car into gear, then release the E-brake. This info is in the owners manual.
+1
An old friend that is a mechanic told me that most times that people have problems with the ebrake freezing up or seizing is that it isn't used enough. The cable has a lubricant in it that is moved around when used. I use my brake all the time and always put it in gear when parking no matter an incline or a level surface. Just a good habit and it ensures the car isn't moving. After having a car rolled away on me that first time I make sure to use both 1st gear and the brake.

Last edited by mnywstr; 09-27-2009 at 04:36 PM.
mnywstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:54 PM   #14
Icefsh

Drives: CGM 2LT/RS M6
Some vehicles I have had in the past. (Not the Camaro). When it is slushy in the day time and set the ebrake. Then gets down to 10 degrees or lower. The brake has frozen up. Would probably not use it in this situation.
Icefsh is offline   Reply With Quote