Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-16-2014, 08:17 PM   #15
S-eatin-grin

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS AGM
Insurance isn't going to cover your mechanical problems anyway and the car isn't totaled...don't know why you would even tell them if you only have a little splitter knick. Salvage your mods and go engine shopping..
S-eatin-grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:29 PM   #16
F-16 Camaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Black
USAA told me they cover up to $5,000 in aftermarket parts standard.
F-16 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:58 PM   #17
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-eatin-grin View Post
Insurance isn't going to cover your mechanical problems anyway and the car isn't totaled...don't know why you would even tell them if you only have a little splitter knick. Salvage your mods and go engine shopping..
Don't think you understood my post. It's about the engine repairs not the splitter. I know it's cheaper to swap out the engine at the end if I did it out of pocket. But if the insurance covers it I would let them deal with it. My performance shop wants me to swap in a LS3 or another V6 instead of fixing the engine.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2014, 11:01 PM   #18
satxrider
Bad 45th

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversay Edition SS
I don't think it would be an issue with USAA vs any other insurance company. I've had issues with State farm from hitting a deer and it was only stock parts being replaced. The eventually paid but a few months later I hit a dog and they refused to pay because it was two claims in a short period of time. So I switched to USAA. USAA has some of the best service available. I've never had a problem and on two recent accidents that were either mine of my wife's fault. Each were forgiven with the free accident forgiveness they include on their policies. Call them and see what they say. You will probably get some coverage to assist with fixing the problem..., unless you already started the work. Typically an adjuster will need to see the vehicle first to figure out if your covered or not.
Magnuson TVS 2300 Supercharger / Alky Meth Injection / Lingenfelter GT12 Cam / Kooks LT Headers, 3 inch exhaust & QTP electric cut outs / Monster LT1-S Twin Disc Clutch / MGW flat blade short throw shifter / Haltech CAI / VMax Throttle Body / DSS Stage 3 axles/ BMR Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Suspension Bushing and 1" lowering springs / Taylor 8MM Plug Wires / Tuned by Henderson Performance Technologies / EBC dimpled and sloted rotors / G2 Painted Calipers / GM Tower Strut Brace / ZL1 Factory Rep Wheels
satxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 01:55 PM   #19
bwk1971
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Vert Supercharged
Many, many moon ago, I had an issue with USAA. They did not want to cover all the aftermarket parts on my Honda Civic, specifically my Jackson Racing Supercharger. However, I produced receipts for all aftermarket parts and pointed out the clause in my contract which stated that they would cover all parts affixed to the car. They sent an investigator to interview me and interrogate me about some of the receipts having my brother's name on them (he paid for my exhaust system with his credit car, but of course I reimbursed him). They made me feel as though I had the car stolen. However, in the end, I prevailed. I have to say, aside from that experience, I love USAA and have never had another problem with them. Read your policy and see what it says. My most recent policy suggests that there are no limits to custom equipment....until now :(

"Your renewal policy includes coverage for custom equipment that is permanently installed. The policy
provides coverage for custom equipment without a dollar limit; however, beginning with a future
policy renewal, coverage for custom equipment will be limited to $5,000 for each covered loss."
"STREET LEGAL" 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 Convertible -- 2.9l Whipple Supercharger, CDC SportBar, Cordon CR-1 and MRR M017 wheels, Hex Vents, RPI ZL1 Splitter, CAI, Pfadt Tri-Y Headers, high-flow cats, ZR1 3 bar map sensor, ZL1 fuel pump, 3.875" pulley, ADM FPCM, 1LE PCV Oil Separator Kit, Elite Catch Can, APEX scoop and washer bottle relocation kit, Hotchkis lowering springs, BMR sways, BMR toe rods, BMR trailing arms, 620 rwhp, 564 rwtq, and tuned by Andrew Zurick of Complete Street Performance by way of Maryland Speed.

Last edited by bwk1971; 10-17-2014 at 02:29 PM.
bwk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:29 PM   #20
blackoutVIII

Drives: 2011 2SS w/RS PKG
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTESONDM View Post
I have USAA. I was told you have to let them know what upgrades you have made and pay accordingly in your policy if you want it covered. That was a few years ago, so maybe its changed. Not sure.
This is true about covering aftermarket parts. Don't know if they will cover you since you did not let them know when you installed the FI. Good luck when you call them. Let us know.
blackoutVIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:34 PM   #21
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
I don't need any of my aftermarket items replaced. It's the engine that I was asking about since things don't sound good. I'm calling in the am before I get another engine.

The engine failed because of the turbos oil return line not supplying back the oil. Since they don't know about the turbos will they cover the engine repairs.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2014, 05:47 PM   #22
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-16 Camaro View Post
USAA told me they cover up to $5,000 in aftermarket parts standard.
I've had them cover aftermarket parts before. Nothing major but it wasn't a problem.

I guess all you can do is call and tell them about your accident and get an adjuster out or if you use their preferred shop they will call in the damage estimate and may work with you on the motor. If the turbos end up being an issue at least maybe you can get something out of a claim to help.

Really sucks this happened to your sweet ride.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:48 PM   #23
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS, 65 Mustang GT Fastback
This should fall under a comprehensive claim. "You can also submit a comprehensive insurance claim for damage sustained by your car due to storms or freak accidents such as striking a deer on the roadway." or in your case a tire. Call and ask.
3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Heritage Grill, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.
GearHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:17 PM   #24
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadPeter View Post
This should fall under a comprehensive claim. "You can also submit a comprehensive insurance claim for damage sustained by your car due to storms or freak accidents such as striking a deer on the roadway." or in your case a tire. Call and ask.
It's a collision.

The only way it's comprehensive is if the tire fell off of a truck while both the vehicles were driving down the road. If the tire hit the ground first, it's collision. If the truck kicked it up or if the tire fell off the truck directly onto the OP's car, that's comprehensive. See the difference? Nope? The idea is, if it's in the road, it's fair game for a collision claim (except if it's an animal). If it's still flying through the air or falling, and hit the OP's car, then it's comprehensive.

The kicker is if you hit a deer, it's comprehensive. But you have to make contact with the animal. If a deer jumps out, you swerve and total the car (but successfully avoid the deer) it's a collision claim.

"Freak accidents" are generally comprehensive. For example, if a building nearby explodes and debris on fire falls out of the sky and damages the car, that's a comprehensive claim.

Each policy can be slightly different in terms of what it covers, but that outlines the basic concept of collision versus comprehensive claims.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote