Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-04-2015, 08:01 AM   #1
NJScorpio

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT Hyper Blue Metallic
Reduced Power/Check Engine/(VTC?)

So, since about November, I've been using my VTC with virtually no issues (just one or two right at the start when the temps dropped).

I've been using SP8 on my A6 for several months now. Today, I didn't let my car warm up as usual...which usual I longer than it takes for the revs to drop down and level off. When I pulled away, I got the REDUCED ENGINE POWER alert, and check engine light (on, not flashing).

I shut the car, turned it back on. Check engine light was still on, but driving felt normal (as far as I can tell). The reduced power was VERY noticeable.

So then, on my way toward a highway, I am able to stop/start again to try and clear the CEL, but it was still there.

On the highway, not under any abrupt or heavy throttle, I get the reduced power, as well as the Service Stabilitrack alert (along with all the dash lights). The first alert today, I was just starting off, probably still in 1st or 2nd. This was highway speeds.

I pull over, turn off/wait/turn on, and the CEL is still on but the other issues are gone. Power is back to normal.

I finish my ride to work, with the CEL on (not flashing) and power feeling normal.

Does this sound like the VTC related issue to you guys? I was going to uninstall mine and see how things go, but I love using it. Those who had this issue, did you have to disconnect the VTC to clear the CEL, or will it just clear with time (as I've had with other CELs in other cars).

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:39 AM   #2
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
So, since about November, I've been using my VTC with virtually no issues (just one or two right at the start when the temps dropped).

I've been using SP8 on my A6 for several months now. Today, I didn't let my car warm up as usual...which usual I longer than it takes for the revs to drop down and level off. When I pulled away, I got the REDUCED ENGINE POWER alert, and check engine light (on, not flashing).

I shut the car, turned it back on. Check engine light was still on, but driving felt normal (as far as I can tell). The reduced power was VERY noticeable.

So then, on my way toward a highway, I am able to stop/start again to try and clear the CEL, but it was still there.

On the highway, not under any abrupt or heavy throttle, I get the reduced power, as well as the Service Stabilitrack alert (along with all the dash lights). The first alert today, I was just starting off, probably still in 1st or 2nd. This was highway speeds.

I pull over, turn off/wait/turn on, and the CEL is still on but the other issues are gone. Power is back to normal.

I finish my ride to work, with the CEL on (not flashing) and power feeling normal.

Does this sound like the VTC related issue to you guys? I was going to uninstall mine and see how things go, but I love using it. Those who had this issue, did you have to disconnect the VTC to clear the CEL, or will it just clear with time (as I've had with other CELs in other cars).

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Try setting it to SP0
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:55 AM   #3
NJScorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Try setting it to SP0
I'll give that a shot. I tried SP0, changed it at a light, but it didn't do anything....though I only drove it a moment or two like that.

I'll set it to SP0 before I start my car, and drive it for a day or so like that. Thanks!
Old 05-04-2015, 09:49 PM   #4
NJScorpio

So I set my VTC to SP0, started up, and the CEL was still on (as expected). I drove about 15 minutes of my commute, pulled into a parking lot. I shut the engine for about 3 minutes, started back up, this time with no CEL. I drove home on SP0 with no incident.

I plan on driving on SP0 for the rest of the week. If no incidents, then I'll bump it back up to 6, then maybe back up to 8 Though I swear I feel 8, and my driving style, can be a bit rough on my transmission. It's very quick to downshift on toe-in, which I love.

Last edited by NJScorpio; 05-05-2015 at 06:01 AM.
NJScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:13 PM   #5
waahehe94

Drives: C6 Corvette, Mustang + a few others
Have you used a code reader to see what codes are causing the CEL? That would be the first thing I would check.
waahehe94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:36 PM   #6
13FastBlkSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Try disconnecting your VTC (return back to stock) and see if your still having issues. I have had my VTC for a couple of months and I have not had any problems.

2013 Black / Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6 w/Magnuson TVS2300, ZL1 Fuelpump / ADM FPCM, NPP Exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI w/ Scoop, Elite Engineering Catch Can, VMAX Ported TB, OEM 1LE Front Splitter, AAC Ghosted Side Markers, Dropped on BMR Split Drop Springs
Build#24869
13FastBlkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:39 PM   #7
moE_09

Drives: 2014 v6
I've been using mine since sept. And only recently stated hearing about ppl saying the Vtc MAYBE the cause of this. My car started acting up in dec. with the cel for misfires and service stabiltrack,see if u can get a code reader
moE_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:10 AM   #8
BluedEvil21

Drives: 2013 Camaro v6 hot wheels edition
I recently had the same issue... re connect your vtc. The problem is the throttle position sensor throwing the codes.. if you live in a place with a lot of pot holes like I do its probably just loose.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:13 AM   #9
NJScorpio

Hmm...thanks guys for the suggestions, I will double check the connection, as I recall it doesn't use that white bracket to hold it together like stock.

So I started my drive today on SP0 (having not disconnected the VTC at any point, just changing the setting). I drove about 10 minutes without issue, and realizing that the stock throttle response isn't all that bad...but I decided, might as well see if this problem happens again...and bumped it up to SP8. I drove how I normally drive, and nothing out of the ordinary happened.

Yesterday was the first warm day, and the last time it happened was the first really cold day...so maybe it's just (somehow) related to sharp changes in temps.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:05 AM   #10
NJScorpio

UPDATE...still on SP8, haven't had a CEL/REP since the other day. Fingers crossed.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:29 AM   #11
_Kris_

Drives: 2015 C7 3LT Z51 A8
you need shut ur car for at least 10min to set up VTC u know that right?
_Kris_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:50 PM   #12
NJScorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kris_ View Post
you need shut ur car for at least 10min to set up VTC u know that right?
Yep, I did that about 8k miles ago...
Old 05-06-2015, 02:04 PM   #13
AKA-22

Drives: ELLE-1
sub
Old 05-06-2015, 02:27 PM   #14
bleavens1962

Drives: 2014 1LS Camaro
Bought the VTC last August or so, loved it until February (reduced power, CEL, intermittently, and never longer than 24 hours)..I have a hard time believing that is wasn't the VTC, and yes I followed the instructions to a T, uninstalled and re-installed...Removed VTC permanently in Feb, not a single issue since . Potential to be a really nice mod if....
bleavens1962 is offline   Reply With Quote