Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 10-11-2019, 07:23 AM   #15
cmfhsu

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Mixing two winter tires with 2 all season / summer tires is just asking for trouble all the time. It's going to slide the ass end around everywhere when it's 50 and above, and slide the front when it's 30 and below. It will only amplify this behavior in any inclement weather.

Could you potentially look for a 500 dollar winter beater instead?
cmfhsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:47 AM   #16
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
the All seasons and nanny controls on the car make it drivable in the winter. Agree if you decide to buy do an entire set with steel rims and don't do 20s. you can probably pick up a set of 18s for just a few dollars more then paying for 2-20s. I had a set on my wife's Camry because that thing was horrendous in winter but I have never had issues with my Camaro. If you use the snow mode it drives well.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:13 AM   #17
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
Bob if you are shopping Tirerack, then take a look at 17inch wheel and tire packages for your RS. That's exactly what I did last winter, and they fit fine on my car. Right now they have close out sales on the prior model Blizzaks, and you can get a cheap set of 17 in wheels for the winter. See these, for example:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...wtpackage=true

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...tandard+Brakes

Overall you'd end up paying a little under 1K before taxes. That's a really good deal for a full set of new tires and wheels.

I shopped around for winter tires a lot last winter, and the 20in snow tires are just too damn expensive. It was cheaper to buy the smaller tire and wheel combo. Plus the 17s are a little narrower, which will give you better grip in ice and hard packed snow.

You're in the Pittsburgh area, so you know how many hills we have. You really don't want to risk only two snow tires on this car, especially since it's RWD.
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 12:05 PM   #18
NYJets12

Drives: 2018 1LT Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by dray View Post
Same here. Really good performance with these, but I kinda wish I'd gotten them narrower. Mine are 245 all the way around, which is what Tire Rack recommended. I used to have a Mustang GT with 215 snows and they seemed to bite down a little better. With this setup, I still feel like a super hero in the winter, though.

Cracks me up in winter when I'm at a light next to somebody with front wheel drive and all season tires. They just spin while I take off!

That’s funny, last winter or the one before I was going up a street a small hill I passed 3 SUV’s stuck , 2 in parking spaces 1 on the street . People can’t drive. All accidents I see in the winter are SUV’s . They think there unstoppable in the snow. Before my Camaro I had a Gran prix fwd with all seasons on I never got stuck once in 10 years.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:01 PM   #19
Bob RS

Drives: 2019 Camaro RS 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbjey View Post
Bob if you are shopping Tirerack, then take a look at 17inch wheel and tire packages for your RS. That's exactly what I did last winter, and they fit fine on my car. Right now they have close out sales on the prior model Blizzaks, and you can get a cheap set of 17 in wheels for the winter. See these, for example:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...wtpackage=true

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...tandard+Brakes

Overall you'd end up paying a little under 1K before taxes. That's a really good deal for a full set of new tires and wheels.

I shopped around for winter tires a lot last winter, and the 20in snow tires are just too damn expensive. It was cheaper to buy the smaller tire and wheel combo. Plus the 17s are a little narrower, which will give you better grip in ice and hard packed snow.

You're in the Pittsburgh area, so you know how many hills we have. You really don't want to risk only two snow tires on this car, especially since it's RWD.
I will most definitely look into this. thank you.
Bob RS is offline   Reply With Quote