Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-21-2020, 08:04 AM   #1
HoodCheck

Drives: 2018 ZLE (M6/hyper blue)
Any Z/28 owners who swapped from non-ported FAST to Mamo ported MSD?

I got some feedback from the Z/28 facebook group saying no gains from non-ported MSD to Mamo ported MSD on their Z, and also got similar feedback from another person (my tuner),and just looking for anyone else who might've tinkered with them. I have a non-ported FAST LSXR 102 intake manifold currently, and dyno results I saw on C6 Z06s looked phenomenal, but as mentioned, someone in the facebook group let me know they didn't see any gains going from MSD to ported MSD.

I'm trying to decide if its worth spending the money...seems like it isn't so far. From what I've seen and heard from various places, the base MSD would net a bit of a gain (10whp or less), and there's the advantage of using stock fuel rails w/o spacers, which makes me wonder if it'll help with the gas smell I've had since my upgrade round (but as you see below, I added quite a bit in one shot).

I saw these results (link below) and have been talking with Tony who is thinking 25-30rwhp on top of what I'm getting from the FAST, but again with feedback I got from a couple other people, I'm not certain I want to go for that big jump if it ends up wielding no results.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/.../39...sd-intake-info...

My base build:

1. GPI - Ported OEM LS7 Cylinder Heads
(EXTENDED) MANGANESE BRONZANIUM 90 VALVE GUIDES
BRIAN TOOLEY RACING - .685" LIFT VALVE SPRING KIT WITH TITANIUM RETAINERS FOR LS7 ENGINES (SK702) - BRONZE GUIDE .565" ID .060" THICK
FERREA - LS7 EXHAUST VALVE, STAINLESS STEEL, HOLLOW (F2042P) (NA BUILDS)
GPI - LS7 CYLINDER HEAD MILLING SERVICE - MINIMUM RESURFACING

2. CHE bronze trunnions

3. GPI SS1 cam (In./Ex. Duration 231/253 - In./Ex. Valve Lift .648/.639 LSA 111 ICL +4)
GPI - 3/8" Hardened Pushrods

4. C5R timing chain

5. FAST LSXr intake manifold
OEM style fuel rails

6. Nick Williams 102mm throttle body

7. Kooks 1 7/8" long tube headers with green cats
Ceramic coated "turbo black" w/ 2000 deg. coating (double coated)
HoodCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:29 AM   #2
STALKER

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Speaking from experience, I went from a stock LS7 intake, to a non-ported FAST 102, and then finally to a Mamo Ported MSD on my LSX 440 build.

The thing that you need to understand about those 2 intakes is that they seem to shine in different areas of the RPM range.

The FAST, even non-ported, feels to me like it makes A LOT more mid-range over the ported Mamo, to the point that its very noticeable, where the MSD feels to make more power up top...not much, but it's noticeable.

Tony might be correct in saying that his ported MSD will make "X" more power over the FAST, but IMO, it's going to be mostly at the top of the RPM range. The loss of Mid-Range torque with the MSD turns me off to it, plus the port job looked to me like it was more of a "Clean-up" job than an actual port.... but I believe I remember him saying somewhere that the MSD is pretty good out of the box, but cleaning up the casting imperfections is where the extra power is made, so I guess it makes sense based off of what I'm seeing with the work on my MSD.

Basically, it all comes down to what you are looking for....If you want better mid-range torque go with the FAST...If you want higher peak power, go with the ported MSD. Personally, if I had to do it over again, I would have stayed with the FAST. I miss the mid-range that a heavy car needs.

Just my $.02
LSX Block, MAST 305 Black Labels, Exceldyne Valves, Diamond Pistons, Callies Crank & Rods, Cam Motion Cam, Johnson 2116LSR Lifters, Comp XDA Pushrods, Jesel Rockers, Mamo MSD, NW 102, Roto-Fab CAI, FAST 65# Injectors, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Kooks 2" Headers, Corsa Sport 3" Catback, Z28 Shifter, ZR1 Clutch, Katech LW Flywheel, 1LE 3.91 Diff, LPW Diff Cover, BMR - 1.4" Springs, LCA's, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Sway Bars, End Links, Diff Bushings, and Tunnel Brace, Z28/1LE Strut Tower Brace, Improved Racing Oil Cooler

2023 Camaro ZL1 / 1LE
Stock
STALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:40 AM   #3
HoodCheck

Drives: 2018 ZLE (M6/hyper blue)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
Speaking from experience, I went from a stock LS7 intake, to a non-ported FAST 102, and then finally to a Mamo Ported MSD on my LSX 440 build.

The thing that you need to understand about those 2 intakes is that they seem to shine in different areas of the RPM range.

The FAST, even non-ported, feels to me like it makes A LOT more mid-range over the ported Mamo, to the point that its very noticeable, where the MSD feels to make more power up top...not much, but it's noticeable.

Tony might be correct in saying that his ported MSD will make "X" more power over the FAST, but IMO, it's going to be mostly at the top of the RPM range. The loss of Mid-Range torque with the MSD turns me off to it, plus the port job looked to me like it was more of a "Clean-up" job than an actual port.... but I believe I remember him saying somewhere that the MSD is pretty good out of the box, but cleaning up the casting imperfections is where the extra power is made, so I guess it makes sense based off of what I'm seeing with the work on my MSD.

Basically, it all comes down to what you are looking for....If you want better mid-range torque go with the FAST...If you want higher peak power, go with the ported MSD. Personally, if I had to do it over again, I would have stayed with the FAST. I miss the mid-range that a heavy car needs.

Just my $.02

Thanks

Dyno sheets I've seen on the LS7 show the MSD actually a bit up top through the entire range (Z06 vette though and not the Z/28, but shouldn't be any different since those parts are interchangeable). I ended up just getting a standard non-ported MSD to replace my non-ported FAST since its half the cost. I had a plan to modify my fuel rail covers to go with the FAST, but since that IM uses aftermarket (or LS2 style) fuel rails, it actually moved the location of fuel rails (and oil lines) by abbout 2" to where the covers can't clip to the rails. The MSD uses the stock LS7 fuel rail, so I should be able to mod one set of covers I have to fit over it and get my covers back on. I was shooting for a blacked out engine bay (even had my headers ceramic coated black), but its a non-starter if my fuel rail covers don't cover the heads lol.
HoodCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:40 PM   #4
STALKER

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodCheck View Post
Thanks

Dyno sheets I've seen on the LS7 show the MSD actually a bit up top through the entire range (Z06 vette though and not the Z/28, but shouldn't be any different since those parts are interchangeable). I ended up just getting a standard non-ported MSD to replace my non-ported FAST since its half the cost. I had a plan to modify my fuel rail covers to go with the FAST, but since that IM uses aftermarket (or LS2 style) fuel rails, it actually moved the location of fuel rails (and oil lines) by abbout 2" to where the covers can't clip to the rails. The MSD uses the stock LS7 fuel rail, so I should be able to mod one set of covers I have to fit over it and get my covers back on. I was shooting for a blacked out engine bay (even had my headers ceramic coated black), but its a non-starter if my fuel rail covers don't cover the heads lol.
Nice. Its definitely a plus that the MSD accepts the stock LS7 fuel rail. On my FAST I got their fuel rails, and cross-over line, but had to have a custom line made that went from the stock hard line that's on up by the fire wall, to the rail.

With the MSD, I just spun the LS7 rail around so the inlet port was on the passenger side, and made a line to it from the hard line on the firewall, thus eliminating the OEM flexible cross-over line (My car started life as an LS3...I'm not sure how the Z28 is set up is...if it uses that same cross-over line).

I'm sure your covers can be modded to work, I've seen Z06 guys get their covers to work with the MSD.
LSX Block, MAST 305 Black Labels, Exceldyne Valves, Diamond Pistons, Callies Crank & Rods, Cam Motion Cam, Johnson 2116LSR Lifters, Comp XDA Pushrods, Jesel Rockers, Mamo MSD, NW 102, Roto-Fab CAI, FAST 65# Injectors, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Kooks 2" Headers, Corsa Sport 3" Catback, Z28 Shifter, ZR1 Clutch, Katech LW Flywheel, 1LE 3.91 Diff, LPW Diff Cover, BMR - 1.4" Springs, LCA's, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Sway Bars, End Links, Diff Bushings, and Tunnel Brace, Z28/1LE Strut Tower Brace, Improved Racing Oil Cooler

2023 Camaro ZL1 / 1LE
Stock
STALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:23 PM   #5
ronchev

Drives: 14' Red Z/28 #336
I cant speak for the Fast but I did go from all stock to the ported Mamo MSD and his 265 heads and 3.5 cam along with his porting on the stock throttle body with 2" headers. The thing picked up everywhere on the dyno and very well. Even the butt dyno says its not lacking anything in the mid range
Also did the fuel rail flip and built a shorter hose to connect on right side of engine, cleaned that up alot for sure. I would have to dig out the dyno sheet again the see where the mid range power was at to do a comparison tho.
ronchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:32 AM   #6
Cpove

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro z28
new the forum trying to search up some information on intake manifold/throttle body combinations. I have the fast 102mm manifold installed on my car and was wondering if there would be any point to be changing out the stock throttle body to a 103mm aftermarket throttle body?
Cpove is offline   Reply With Quote